Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 04:33 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Interesting enough, DC prices in these areas are close to Atlanta prices now in 2020, but with DC paychecks.

Old Fourth Ward Example #1

Old Fourth Ward Example #2
Are you comparing an intown popular neighborhood in Atlanta too a suburb of DC?
When I look up Howard university apartments as that area like 4th ward has seen extreme gentrification and once was mostly black,the prices for something similar to what you posted are more than $700-$2000 more in DC.The only place you will find prices even anywhere close to that is Buckhead in the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 05:06 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Are you comparing an intown popular neighborhood in Atlanta too a suburb of DC?
When I look up Howard university apartments as that area like 4th ward has seen extreme gentrification and once was mostly black,the prices for something similar to what you posted are more than $700-$2000 more in DC.The only place you will find prices even anywhere close to that is Buckhead in the city
I’m comparing the price points for the new Ward 7 and Ward 8 apartments being built to similar looking neighborhoods in Atlanta like Old Fourth Ward etc. Like Old Fourth Ward, Ward 7 and Ward 8 DC will be built around town center style development surrounded by neighborhoods with lower density.

There is nothing in Atlanta comparable to the urban core of DC. I wouldn’t make a comparison of the two areas because that part of DC is so much more urban than Atlanta. This thread has mainly been about finding places that have a large professional black population and finding places that are urban enough for the OP. If the OP wants an urban environment he can’t find anywhere in Atlanta, then he should move into the urban core of DC if he can afford it. If the neighborhood can be more like what urban neighborhoods look like in Atlanta, then Ward 7 and Ward 8 are options.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-22-2020 at 05:16 AM..

Old 05-22-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I’m comparing the price points for the new Ward 7 and Ward 8 apartments being built to similar looking neighborhoods in Atlanta like Old Fourth Ward etc. Like Old Fourth Ward, Ward 7 and Ward 8 DC will be built around town center style development surrounded by neighborhoods with lower density.

There is nothing in Atlanta comparable to the urban core of DC. I wouldn’t make a comparison of the two areas because that part of DC is so much more urban than Atlanta. This thread has mainly been about finding places that have a large professional black population and finding places that are urban enough for the OP. If the OP wants an urban environment he can’t find anywhere in Atlanta, then he should move into the urban core of DC if he can afford it. If the neighborhood can be more like what urban neighborhoods look like in Atlanta, then Ward 7 and Ward 8 are options.
I think its well established DC is more urban than Atlanta.There are however areas as I said are similar in the way demographic changes have been made.I was one of the first people to recommend DC oer Atlanta for urban preference.

"Similar looking neighborhoods dont compare well as you and I agree the cities layout are far different from each other,but there are areas that compare in prices which is exactly what I said.Bit DC prices can be much higher in some areas even if they do compafre well in level of attraction and demographics.
That however is irrelevant if you are choosing an areas that are different in relation to the level of attraction of each area has.
What do you mean "town center"?

Old 05-22-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I think its well established DC is more urban than Atlanta.There are however areas as I said are similar in the way demographic changes have been made.I was one of the first people to recommend DC oer Atlanta for urban preference.

"Similar looking neighborhoods dont compare well as you and I agree the cities layout are far different from each other,but there are areas that compare in prices which is exactly what I said.Bit DC prices can be much higher in some areas even if they do compafre well in level of attraction and demographics.
That however is irrelevant if you are choosing an areas that are different in relation to the level of attraction of each area has.
What do you mean "town center"?
My comparison has only been about the built environment. I'm not talking about demographics because we need a lot of data to make that comparison. I'm specifically talking about moving into a neighborhood with a similar look and feel to city of Atlanta neighborhoods. I also have been talking about development that is under construction in Ward 7 and Ward 8 drawing a comparison to city of Atlanta neighborhoods in the way they look and how they will compare when those developments are complete.

A town center is typically an infill new urbanist development surrounded by a low density residential neighborhood.

Town Center Style Development in Atlanta

Example #1

Example #2

Example #3

Old 05-22-2020, 11:41 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,328 times
Quote:
My comparison has only been about the built environment. I'm not talking about demographics because we need a lot of data to make that comparison. I'm specifically talking about moving into a neighborhood with a similar look and feel to city of Atlanta neighborhoods. I also have been talking about development that is under construction in Ward 7 and Ward 8 drawing a comparison to city of Atlanta neighborhoods in the way they look and how they will compare when those developments are complete.

A town center is typically an infill new urbanist development surrounded by a low density residential neighborhood.

Example #1

Example #2

Example #3
Have you seen the infill going on at Howell Mill and 10th St? That area is building up nicely. Stewart Ave (Metropolitan for some) has great potential too.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Example #1

Example #2

Example #3
Atlantic Station is the ONLY town center concept and the first link isnt Old Fouth Ward. Yje second one is a bunch of apartments surrounding a park

Old 05-22-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Atlantic Station is the ONLY town center concept and the first link isnt Old Fouth Ward. Yje second one is a bunch of apartments surrounding a park
Since you were looking for a socio-economic comparison to Old Fourth Ward, there is a neighborhood in Ward 8 called Hillcrest that has a substantial project called Skyland Town Center that will anchor the neighborhood which is full of single family detached homes.

Parkside/Northeast Heights is too urban and commercial to be compared to Old Fourth Ward, but Hill Crest shares the same beauty and leafy streets anchored by new mixed use development.

Hill Crest Neighborhood

Hillcrest SE DC (Ward 7) #1

Hillcrest SE DC (Ward 7) #2

Hillcrest SE DC (Ward 7) #3

Hillcrest SE DC (Ward 7) #4

Ten Facts You May Not Know About Hillcrest SE Washington D.C.

Video on Hillcrest Neighborhood History

Skyland Town Center

-480 units
-134,289 sq. feet of retail
-120,000 sq. feet of office

Rendering #1
Rendering #2
Site Plan
Webcam

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-22-2020 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-22-2020, 12:12 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:

Example #1

Example #2

Example #3
Town center developments are "instant" new suburban and exurban downtowns like Reston, Largo, Woodstock, and Suwanee, typically all under the control of a single developer. The first two links show clusters of new infill development in two of Atlanta's most historic neighborhoods and the third is Atlanta Station which is an infill New Urbanist development.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Town center developments are "instant" new suburban and exurban downtowns like Reston, Largo, Woodstock, and Suwanee, typically all under the control of a single developer. The first two links show clusters of new infill development in two of Atlanta's most historic neighborhoods and the third is Atlanta Station which is an infill New Urbanist development.
Correct, I'm more so making a distinction between actual urban development streets like H Street in DC compared to places I have shown in Ward 7 and Ward 8 or Old Fourth Ward etc. with just a cluster of mixed use buildings surrounded by low density residential detached single family homes.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Have you seen the infill going on at Howell Mill and 10th St? That area is building up nicely. Stewart Ave (Metropolitan for some) has great potential too.
I haven't, could you please post what is being built there or what already has been built there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City