Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2020, 01:16 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Are you comparing an intown popular neighborhood in Atlanta too a suburb of DC?
When I look up Howard university apartments as that area like 4th ward has seen extreme gentrification and once was mostly black,the prices for something similar to what you posted are more than $700-$2000 more in DC.The only place you will find prices even anywhere close to that is Buckhead in the city
Exactly. I’m so glad you pointed this out. It was not a logical comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 02:01 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Anacostia- Maybe the Westend
Congress Heights- Capital View
Deanwood-Oakland City
Fort Mac Selected as Location for FDA Laboratory at Former Forces Command HQ Building: 350 High-Paying Jobs Planned for the Transit-Oriented Development

Hillcrest/Skyland-Bankhead/Quarry Yards https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ol...!4d-84.3719735

Bellvue- Adamsville

I realize one of the many reasons DC reminds me of Atlanta is that is has a lot of low density suburban and poor areas just like Atlanta. Just like Atlanta those areas are often not known to the mainstream as they are tucked away from the main areas that are most populated and dense.
If there was ever an argument that can be used in the support of DC feeling Southern,its for reasons like this. A lot of Southerns feel very comfortable in DC. I know I do

Just want to make sure these neighborhoods below are what you're talking about. I know you've mentioned that my boundaries have been off.

Westend

Capital View

Oakland View

Bankhead

Adamsville

Old 05-23-2020, 03:14 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

Just want to make sure these neighborhoods below are what you're talking about. I know you've mentioned that my boundaries have been off.

Westend

Capital View

Oakland View

Bankhead

Adamsville
Dude we already know that DC is more urban than Atlanta. The point isn't that the neighborhoods in Atlanta mentioned by CleverOne are built the same way as the ones in DC but that they are comparable in several other ways. Anacostia and the West End are absolutely analogous neighborhoods.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Dude we already know that DC is more urban than Atlanta. The point isn't that the neighborhoods in Atlanta mentioned by CleverOne are built the same way as the ones in DC but that they are comparable in several other ways. Anacostia and the West End are absolutely analogous neighborhoods.
Really? Historic Anacostia is like the West End? I feel like the West End is more like Deanwood. You don't think so? I don't really see any similarities between the West End and Anacostia. You don't think the West End is like Deanwood?

By the way, my question was about a comparison of which neighborhoods are built the same way. DC has neighborhoods with single family detached homes too.

Anacostia #1

Anacostia #2

Anacostia #3

Old 05-23-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Really? Historic Anacostia is like the West End? I feel like the West End is more like Deanwood. You don't think so? I don't really see any similarities between the West End and Anacostia. You don't think the West End is like Deanwood?

By the way, my question was about a comparison of which neighborhoods are built the same way. DC has neighborhoods with single family detached homes too.

Anacostia #1

Anacostia #2

Anacostia #3
Of course DC has SFR neighborhoods but when it is stressed how much more urban DC is than Atlanta, there are going to be other points of comparison that are looked at when asking what neighborhoods in DC are "like" those in Atlanta.

Anacostia and the West End are alike in that they are both historic streetcar suburbs that became majority Black after white flight in the 50s and 60s and gained a reputation for their importance in the Black community in their respective cities. Gentrification is also taking hold in both neighborhoods.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Of course DC has SFR neighborhoods but when it is stressed how much more urban DC is than Atlanta, there are going to be other points of comparison that are looked at when asking what neighborhoods in DC are "like" those in Atlanta.

Anacostia and the West End are alike in that they are both historic streetcar suburbs that became majority Black after white flight in the 50s and 60s and gained a reputation for their importance in the Black community in their respective cities. Gentrification is also taking hold in both neighborhoods.
I wasn't trying to stress the fact that DC was more urban than Atlanta nor was I trying to compare urban DC neighborhoods with Atlanta neighborhoods. I was actually trying to find neighborhoods with similarities in the built environment. I understand and agree with what you're saying and the comparison you're drawing, but that wasn't my question.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to stress the fact that DC was more urban than Atlanta nor was I trying to compare urban DC neighborhoods with Atlanta neighborhoods. I was actually trying to find neighborhoods with similarities in the built environment. I understand and agree with what you're saying and the comparison you're drawing, but that wasn't my question.
So why did you include neighborhoods with rowhomes when you know Atlanta doesn't have those???

Old 05-23-2020, 09:00 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Not all that much of DC really looks like Atlanta, too many rowhomes in the neighborhoods-in general. If you go 500 feet over southern avenue or eastern avenue into Prince George’s it becomes single family homes and it’s a more natural land scape. 500 feet into DC its rowhomes again

Examples:

DC

700 feet southeast’s, in Coral Hills Prince George’s County, much more like Atlanta. SFH homes, and rolling green lawns.

Again

DC

adjacent PGC

From this street view in Prince George’s, just over Eastern Ave, you can see SFHs of OGC in the foreground and apartments in DC over Eastern Avenue in the background.

The southern feel picks up intensely once you cross the border into Prince Georges: https://goo.gl/maps/XYW8tQYvQTstg1Le7

Old 05-23-2020, 09:56 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times
Quote:
Dude we already know that DC is more urban than Atlanta. The point isn't that the neighborhoods in Atlanta mentioned by CleverOne are built the same way as the ones in DC but that they are comparable in several other ways. Anacostia and the West End are absolutely neighborhoods.
LOL
He knows that.We even said that several times but he still wants to show how urban is campared to Atlanta which is like DUH. He just didnt like what I said about DC having so many areas that are like Atlanta with low density

Old 05-23-2020, 10:00 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Not all that much of DC really looks like Atlanta, too many rowhomes in the neighborhoods-in general. If you go 500 feet over southern avenue or eastern avenue into Prince George’s it becomes single family homes and it’s a more natural land scape. 500 feet into DC its rowhomes again

Examples:

DC

700 feet southeast’s, in Coral Hills Prince George’s County, much more like Atlanta. SFH homes, and rolling green lawns.

Again

DC

adjacent PGC

From this street view in Prince George’s, just over Eastern Ave, you can see SFHs of OGC in the foreground and apartments in DC over Eastern Avenue in the background.

The southern feel picks up intensely once you cross the border into Prince Georges: https://goo.gl/maps/XYW8tQYvQTstg1Le7
OMG. Overall we know DC has a more built environment but my exact statement taht was corroborated with links clearly show similar areas in both cities that do not exist in other Northeast cities. Large empty wooded lots with highways of nothing in the city mixed in with areas of urban decay. yoiu dont know DC or Atlanta like you think you do. Did you even look at the links MD provided?
Deanwood is very much like some neighborhoods in Atlanta,Deanwood is in DC and not a suburb

https://www.google.com/maps/place/We...!4d-84.4233849

So to give better idead to see how close I was ,I looked uo the walkscores.
Westend71-Anacostia 61
Congress Heights 59- Capitol View 40
Deanwood 50 vs Oakland City 44
Hillcrest 54 vs Bankhead 41
Bellvue wasnt listed but sure seems like I was very close and it aslo proves your statement gto be not true as you have proof with these ratings that DC(and not a suburb) does have similar areas

Last edited by CleverOne; 05-23-2020 at 10:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City