Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2020, 11:01 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So why did you include neighborhoods with rowhomes when you know Atlanta doesn't have those???
Because neighborhoods that are more urban closer to the urban core of Atlanta (Midtown, Downtown, etc.) do have townhomes and apartments right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
LOL
He knows that.We even said that several times but he still wants to show how urban is campared to Atlanta which is like DUH. He just didnt like what I said about DC having so many areas that are like Atlanta with low density
You guys need to make up your mind. Does DC have neighborhoods that look like Atlanta or not? It can’t be both! You just said Atlanta had a neighborhood that looks like Deanwood right? But Mutiny said Atlanta doesn’t have anything similar to neighborhoods in DC with row houses? I need you guys to get on the same page. I feel like neighborhoods close to the urban core of Atlanta could compare. Don’t you?

Old 05-23-2020, 11:21 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Because neighborhoods that are more urban closer to the urban core of Atlanta (Midtown, Downtown, etc.) do have townhomes and apartments right?
Those aren't rowhomes.

Old 05-24-2020, 03:50 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times
Quote:
You guys need to make up your mind. Does DC have neighborhoods that look like Atlanta or not? It can’t be both! You just said Atlanta had a neighborhood that looks like Deanwood right? But Mutiny said Atlanta doesn’t have anything similar to neighborhoods in DC with row houses? I need you guys to get on the same page. I feel like neighborhoods close to the urban core of Atlanta could compare. Don’t you?
How in the world did you conclude that rowhouses was the only defining factor of what is means to be similar? Especially when I have no doubt you know rowhomes just arent found anywhere in the South?

In all of Atlanta Historic Baltimore Block is the only street you can find Rowhouses for the most part
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Block

You insisted I give you areas that were almost comparable. Oddly enough the comparison I gave you were fairly close and easy to see why I would draw such comparisons but if you were looking for specific areas of rowhouses then no there is no comparison.I have already explained how these areas are similar in that they are relatively low density high poverty areas with majority black populations
Those areas you asked me to pair up werent even the most densely populated or urban parts of DC so I paired them with areas in Atlanta that also were not the most dense or urban in Atlanta

Ive added links showing you what I see are the similarities.Look at them and tell me how Im wrong in my assessment

Old 05-24-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
How in the world did you conclude that rowhouses was the only defining factor of what is means to be similar? Especially when I have no doubt you know rowhomes just arent found anywhere in the South?

In all of Atlanta Historic Baltimore Block is the only street you can find Rowhouses for the most part
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Block

You insisted I give you areas that were almost comparable. Oddly enough the comparison I gave you were fairly close and easy to see why I would draw such comparisons but if you were looking for specific areas of rowhouses then no there is no comparison.I have already explained how these areas are similar in that they are relatively low density high poverty areas with majority black populations
Those areas you asked me to pair up werent even the most densely populated or urban parts of DC so I paired them with areas in Atlanta that also were not the most dense or urban in Atlanta

Ive added links showing you what I see are the similarities.Look at them and tell me how Im wrong in my assessment
Well, considering the density in Ward 7 and Ward 8 neighborhoods are higher than all the neighborhoods being mentioned in Atlanta, we certainly aren't talking about density because that isn't something that is comparable. I mentioned neighborhoods in Atlanta that you didn't feel were matches like Sweet Auburn, Old Fourth Ward, Virginia-Highland, and Inman Park and I was asking you to explain why they weren't matched? This is an especially important question if you're saying there aren't any row-house neighborhoods in Atlanta so you have to find the next best comparison metric for the built environment. I felt like the combination of apartment buildings and single family homes found in Sweet Auburn, Old Fourth Ward, Virginia-Highland, and Inman Park would compare to the combination of row houses and apartment buildings found in neighborhoods throughout Ward 7 and Ward 8. Don't you think so?

Sweet Auburn, Old Fourth Ward, Virginia-Highland, and Inman Park at least have a few apartment buildings with narrow streets. Some of the neighborhoods you pointed to in Atlanta didn't even have sidewalks. As you said, the lots in Sweet Auburn, Old Fourth Ward, Virginia-Highland, and Inman Park are small. How do they not compare? What do you mean by poverty? The houses you're looking at in Ward 7 and Ward 8 on google street view are worth $400,000 - $1,000,000.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Those aren't rowhomes.
This is one of the neighborhoods I mentioned below in DC named Congress Heights/St. Elizabeth East. Which neighborhood in Atlanta do you think it looks like? You really think this looks like Capital View in Atlanta?

Congress Heights/St. Elizabeth East #1

Congress Heights/St. Elizabeth East #2

Old 05-24-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Well, considering the density in Ward 7 and Ward 8 neighborhoods are higher than all the neighborhoods being mentioned in Atlanta, we certainly aren't talking about density because that isn't something that is comparable. I mentioned neighborhoods in Atlanta that you didn't feel were matches like Sweet Auburn, Old Fourth Ward, Virginia-Highland, and Inman Park and I was asking you to explain why they weren't matched? This is an especially important question if you're saying there aren't any row-house neighborhoods in Atlanta so you have to find the next best comparison metric for the built environment. I felt like the combination of apartment buildings and single family homes found in Sweet Auburn, Old Fourth Ward, Virginia-Highland, and Inman Park would compare to the combination of row houses and apartment buildings found in neighborhoods throughout Ward 7 and Ward 8. Don't you think so?

Sweet Auburn, Old Fourth Ward, Virginia-Highland, and Inman Park at least have a few apartment buildings with narrow streets. Some of the neighborhoods you pointed to in Atlanta didn't even have sidewalks. As you said, the lots in Sweet Auburn, Old Fourth Ward, Virginia-Highland, and Inman Park are small. How do they not compare? What do you mean by poverty? The houses you're looking at in Ward 7 and Ward 8 on google street view are worth $400,000 - $1,000,000.
Did yhou not specifically ask me to match several neighborhoods of which Hillcrest,Anacostia, etc were among them?Did I not give you examples and show you what I meant so why are you continuing to act like I didnt give you what you were asking and on top of that used walkscore to give my reasoning. Yet you still keep bringing up density when you know its not something that is harder to compare.DC has 24 neighborhoods that have a walkscore of more than 80 and Atlanta has 11. Walkscore isnt perfect but when using a comparison of cities that have a different built environment its the best way to see how they compare as to how people operate their lives in the areas in which all density numbers and such are not relevant if the areas function similarly.
You havent even said why those areas I paired then with were off.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
on top of that used walkscore to give my reasoning. Yet you still keep bringing up density when you know its not something that is harder to compare.DC has 24 neighborhoods that have a walkscore of more than 80 and Atlanta has 11. Walkscore isnt perfect but when using a comparison of cities that have a different built environment its the best way to see how they compare as to how people operate their lives in the areas in which all density numbers and such are not relevant if the areas function similarly.
Who is talking about walkscore? I said built environment which has nothing to do with walkscore. We had a long drawn out debate about this already. Please see my response to walkscore below from earlier this month:

Quote:
The problem with that is having the ability to walk to retail doesn't make my neighborhood urban. The problem I have with walkscore in this context is that urban design is not factored in. I feel like they need to start giving an urban design score to neighborhoods. That would stop the debate about walk score. You would have a retail walkscore and an urban design score.
Quote:
I don't have a problem with them ranking neighborhoods, I have a problem with them not using an apples to apples size comparison. It's the same problem with our many urban core debates. You can't quantify something unless you use the same area squared. The example in Benning is the perfect example of this.

Walkscore is designed to say what the average person living in an entire neighborhood is close to. That's fine, however, that doesn't tell the whole story when part of the neighborhood is close to everything. Maybe they need to break things down by census tract and census block groups. I don't really know, but it can't be generalized. People living near Minnesota Avenue Metro Station are walking distance to more things than most people in any city. If urban design doesn't matter, that should be reflected.

Shaw, Columbia Heights, Dupont, Penn Quarter, etc. is way larger, but Benning is more intense with more stores and amenities in a closer walking distance. It's like comparing the DC urban core to downtown Boston etc. The difference is size versus intensity.
Quote:
So if that is the case, my problem with walkscore is a building like this is 0.25 miles from Safeway Grocery Store, CVS, Auto Zone, Public Library, Bank of America, Chase Bank, Citi Bank, Flower Shop, Various Restaurants, Clothing Stores, etc. etc. etc. Also, it's 0.25 miles from the Minnesota Avenue Metro Station, and multiple bus routes, however, the neighborhood has a walkscore of 64.

Benning Neighborhood

St. Stephen's apartments is closer (0.25 miles) to more amenities than most people in Shaw or U Street. If you want to count amenities, we can do that.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Did yhou not specifically ask me to match several neighborhoods of which Hillcrest,Anacostia, etc were among them?Did I not give you examples and show you what I meant so why are you continuing to act like I didnt give you what you were asking.

You havent even said why those areas I paired then with were off.
This is one of the neighborhoods I mentioned below in DC named Congress Heights/St. Elizabeth East. Which neighborhood in Atlanta do you think it looks like? You really think this looks like Capital View in Atlanta?

Old 05-24-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:

there are sections similar in those areas but doing some more research I think The Viilages at Carver is a more apt choice to be paired with Congress Heights.but I dont know every area in DC like i do Atlanta but I do know what you posted was way off. Most of these areas are just to different but they do have common levels of lower densities in compaired to other areas with their respective cities. I wasnt claiming the densities were similar but that the urban characters were similar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City