Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2020, 03:11 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Exactly. It draws on a variety of genres forged in the South, North, and abroad. That makes sense; the nation's capital is expected to be a bit of a melting pot.
Well I think it's the general consensus that over a broad spectrum of characteristics the nation's capital is shaped by people from culture from elsewhere. But Go-Go is homegrown and one of the remaining local traits the city really has to hold on to. Atlanta too has people from elsewhere shaping it's culture and is almost as transient as DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 03:44 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Well I think it's the general consensus that over a broad spectrum of characteristics the nation's capital is shaped by people from culture from elsewhere. But Go-Go is homegrown and one of the remaining local traits the city really has to hold on to. Atlanta too has people from elsewhere shaping it's culture and is almost as transient as DC.
I think people are missing the entire point here. Nobody is saying DC doesn't have influences from the south and from the north. What we are saying is we aren't southern or northern. New Orleans is southern and claims to be. Atlanta is southern and claims to be. New York is northern and claims to be. Boston is northern and claims to be. LA is the west coast and claims to be. Chicago is the midwest and claims to be. As far as I know, all cities outside of DC listened to Hip Hop and identified with national clothing brands etc. DC on the other hand didn't identify with anything national.

Was there a city in America where you would be considered to be a bamma/lame/late/mark, etc. etc. (whatever someone who isn't cool is called in your region of the country) for wearing national brands like Polo, Nautica, Tommy Hilfiger, Guess, Sean John, etc. etc. etc.? I remember being in DC growing up, if you didn't have on Universal Madness, WeROne, HOBO, AllDaz, City Life, DDTP, etc. etc. which are all DC brands, you would be made fun of. If you played Hip Hop at a party, nobody was coming to your party.

Serious question, was this the experience anywhere else? What did people in Atlanta, New York, Chicago, LA, etc. etc. wear? Was it ok to play music from other cities at a party? Were people from other places accepted? Maybe other places acted like DC too, but it hasn't been my experience when I visited people from other cities. It seemed like most places were anywhere USA meaning they had things in common with everyone but DC.

DC Multi-Million Dollar Fashion Industry

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-25-2020 at 04:19 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 03:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inOegwVWMLU

Podcast talking about how America got their urban wear ideas from DC. It originated here in GoGo culture.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-25-2020 at 04:02 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 05:26 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I get that but to act as though Go-Go doesn't take inspiration from genres in the South and the North is just silly. This whole "We have absolutely nothing in common with any region of the US and exist as a cultural island" simply isn't accurate. We all know Mumbo sauce didn't fall out of the sky as a gift from heaven, unless you consider Chicago to be heaven LOL.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:04 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
I get that but to act as though Go-Go doesn't take inspiration from genres in the South and the North is just silly. This whole "We have absolutely nothing in common with any region of the US and exist as a cultural island" simply isn't accurate. We all know Mumbo sauce didn't fall out of the sky as a gift from heaven, unless you consider Chicago to be heaven LOL.
African American culture in the US as a whole takes inspiration from those in the South due to the great migration, Chicago and Detroit and places North saw this influence too. Blacks came in this country via the South, our roots are in the South, idk who doesn't realize this. Go-go however was infused from various types of music, some in this country some from non-American origins.

Also legend has it that Mumbo Sauce was a Korean concoction placed in the DC carry outs, and not from anywhere else in this nation.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:32 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
African American culture in the US as a whole takes inspiration from those in the South due to the great migration, Chicago and Detroit and places North saw this influence too. Blacks came in this country via the South, our roots are in the South, idk who doesn't realize this. Go-go however was infused from various types of music, some in this country some from non-American origins.
Well...

Quote:
Also legend has it that Mumbo Sauce was a Korean concoction placed in the DC carry outs, and not from anywhere else in this nation.
I've read it came to DC by way of Chicago but who knows for sure:

https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...s-mambo-sauce/
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...923-story.html

Old 05-25-2020, 06:50 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I think people are missing the entire point here. Nobody is saying DC doesn't have influences from the south and from the north. What we are saying is we aren't southern or northern. New Orleans is southern and claims to be. Atlanta is southern and claims to be. New York is northern and claims to be. Boston is northern and claims to be. LA is the west coast and claims to be. Chicago is the midwest and claims to be. As far as I know, all cities outside of DC listened to Hip Hop and identified with national clothing brands etc. DC on the other hand didn't identify with anything national.

Was there a city in America where you would be considered to be a bamma/lame/late/mark, etc. etc. (whatever someone who isn't cool is called in your region of the country) for wearing national brands like Polo, Nautica, Tommy Hilfiger, Guess, Sean John, etc. etc. etc.? I remember being in DC growing up, if you didn't have on Universal Madness, WeROne, HOBO, AllDaz, City Life, DDTP, etc. etc. which are all DC brands, you would be made fun of. If you played Hip Hop at a party, nobody was coming to your party.

Serious question, was this the experience anywhere else? What did people in Atlanta, New York, Chicago, LA, etc. etc. wear? Was it ok to play music from other cities at a party? Were people from other places accepted? Maybe other places acted like DC too, but it hasn't been my experience when I visited people from other cities. It seemed like most places were anywhere USA meaning they had things in common with everyone but DC.

DC Multi-Million Dollar Fashion Industry
In Boston people don’t party much to hip hop at all. It’s 80% dancehall or people are leaving the party. And not the dancehall you get in DC or Atlanta...you get the new new and the nitty gritty. A good portion of the hip hop is local. At one point you had to wear Adidas Top Tens, but national brands were fine. Clothing brands people wore/wear in the city are Kingdom of Royal, IVBoston, CitiTeam and Olivier (Providence brand).

Lots of people throw Adidas Parties, Adidas only-something that originated in the 1980s around the same time as RUNDMC. There is/was such thing as Adidas Park and Adidas Trees. There’s also an afffonity for Triple Fat Goose and Northface for practical reasons.

I’ve attached some pictures of the last remaining flimsy, modest Adidas tree.
Attached Thumbnails
Washington DC vs Atlanta for African American urban living-c73ff1f3-e45d-484d-9c2c-5ed0aecb5818.jpeg   Washington DC vs Atlanta for African American urban living-d8121a49-45f3-427b-a6f7-aa36e71d5767.jpeg   Washington DC vs Atlanta for African American urban living-f3fd5e19-8e0a-4f98-b151-c27fe1ea55da.jpeg  

Old 05-25-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
In Boston people don’t party much to hip hop at all. It’s 80% dancehall or people are leaving the party. And not the dancehall you get in DC or Atlanta...you get the new new and the nitty gritty. A good portion of the hip hop is local. At one point you had to wear Adidas Top Tens, but national brands were fine. Clothing brands people wore/wear in the city are Kingdom of Royal, IVBoston, CitiTeam and Olivier (Providence brand).

Lots of people throw Adidas Parties, Adidas only-something that originated in the 1980s around the same time as RUNDMC. There is/was such thing as Adidas Park and Adidas Trees. There’s also an afffonity for Triple Fat Goose and Northface for practical reasons.

I’ve attached some pictures of the last remaining flimsy, modest Adidas tree.
How is that culture holding up in Boston now? The DC culture took a huge hit in the mid 2000's beginning around 2005-2006. Wale found a way to break through the GoGo glass ceiling as a Hip Hop artist and won DC over by rapping over hit GoGo songs. Long story short, Hip Hop in DC hasn't looked back since. Hip Hop killed the real DC. These three songs by Wale below were the beginning of the end of DC culture..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxWfox44phA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh0lys2rHUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk_T28xuvBs

Yes, GoGo is still king in DC, but Hip Hop has made headways into the culture and is slowly killing the city. It's sad really. But, this is the new DC. Anywhere USA like every other city NYC, LA, ATL etc. The youth even stopped wearing the local black clothing lines and put most of them out of business. That DC is a memory now.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:58 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
How is that culture holding up in Boston now? The DC culture took a huge hit in the mid 2000's beginning around 2005-2006. Wale found a way to break through the GoGo glass ceiling as a Hip Hop artist and won DC over by rapping over hit GoGo songs. Long story short, Hip Hop in DC hasn't looked back since. Hip Hop killed the real DC. These three songs by Wale below were the beginning of the end of DC culture..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxWfox44phA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh0lys2rHUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk_T28xuvBs

Yes, GoGo is still king in DC, but Hip Hop has made headways into the culture and is slowly killing the city. It's sad really. But, this is the new DC. Anywhere USA like every other city NYC, LA, ATL etc. The youth even stopped wearing the local black clothing lines and put most of them out of business. That DC is a memory now.
As someone that cherishes our history, it is messed up when the youth chooses the Euro and other mainstream brand over locals who were successful

Old 05-25-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
While I think everyone agrees that the initial inspiration of early GoGo back in the 1970s came from all types of things including the south and forms of music that originated in the south, GoGo from 1990-current took a very different local turn from early GoGo music. Do you agree? I think the whole DC neighborhood and hood call and response that took hold in the late 1980's no longer had any influence from other places. What do you think?

The History of Go-Go: A 6-Step Guide to the Essentials
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City