Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2020, 09:58 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is 100% accurate. GoGo isn't designed to be listened to outside of a club unless you're a hardcore GoGo fan. It's live music and it's not the same when you're not listening to it live with a packed club full of people dancing. Go to the 6:30 minute mark of the video I just posted in Rockville and look at the crowd. That's why people like GoGo.

FYI, I love dancehall. On a sidenote, have you been to the Caribbean Wine Festival in Linganore, MD? If not, you have to go.
I googled the wine festival. Looks like a good time-I’ve got Jamaican/Haitian couple friends from Boston who just moved to Prince George’s, I’ve got to take them. They say they miss the Carribean vibe, that festival could tie them over for a while. Visually it looks more like a Carribean Juneteenth/Afram as opposed to carnival/block party and im very cool with that, lol. And wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 10:02 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This was inevitable. With the internet, social media, mass media, etc, there's a lot of homogenization taking place. But even aside from that, hip hop was simply too powerful of a force to have left DC untouched.
Yep!

Old 05-25-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I googled the wine festival. Looks like a good time-I’ve got Jamaican/Haitian couple friends from Boston who just moved to Prince George’s, I’ve got to take them. They say they miss the Carribean vibe, that festival could tie them over for a while. Visually it looks more like a Carribean Juneteenth/Afram as opposed to carnival/block party and im very cool with that, lol. And wine.
I don't know about this year with COVID-19, but maybe next year. You have to buy your tickets ahead of time. It sells out before the date. They have four weekends I think. One day (I think Saturday) is a reggae band and the other day (I think Sunday) is a soca band. It's really fun!

Old 05-25-2020, 10:09 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Well...

I've read it came to DC by way of Chicago but who knows for sure:

https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...s-mambo-sauce/
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...923-story.html
They try to say Mumbo Sauce is like Mild Sauce in Chicago. I can see the resemblance but the taste is different to me.

As far as that article, that’s the first i ever heard of mumbo sauce being made in Chicago. That’s interesting.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
You still have the local accents. Those have been influenced a bit by mainstream urban culture as well but not entirely.
Interesting enough, the younger generation has a very different accent than the traditional DC accent. Listen to Wale, Regina Hall, Taraji P Henson speak. Then listen to young girls and guys on the streets of DC now. They don't sound like them. They don't say burry "berry" or murland "maryland" I've noticed which is classic DC. They don't really have that accent anymore. It's some new fusion accent. Weird...

Old 05-25-2020, 10:19 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
They try to say Mumbo Sauce is like Mild Sauce in Chicago. I can see the resemblance but the taste is different to me.

As far as that article, that’s the first i ever heard of mumbo sauce being made in Chicago. That’s interesting.
Indeed. I would've thought someone from the Carolinas back in the day moved to DC and experimented with one of our classic BBQ sauces and it evolved from there but yeah, the Chicago origin story is quite interesting.

Quote:
Interesting enough, the younger generation has a very different accent than the traditional DC accent. Listen to Wale, Regina Hall, Taraji P Henson speak. Then listen to young girls and guys on the streets of DC now. They don't sound like them. They don't say burry "berry" or murland "maryland" I've noticed which is classic DC. They don't really have that accent anymore. It's some new fusion accent. Weird...
Well actors are trained to speak in so many different accents and what not that I wouldn't necessarily use them as a gauge but I've always thought Taraji sounded like a DC girl in her natural voice. As a matter of fact, she sounds very much like Pastor Susie Owens of Greater Mt. Clavary Church who, although a Texas native, has been in DC long enough to sound just like a DC chick LOL.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Indeed. I would've thought someone from the Carolinas back in the day moved to DC and experimented with one of our classic BBQ sauces and it evolved from there but yeah, the Chicago origin story is quite interesting.

Well actors are trained to speak in so many different accents and what not that I wouldn't necessarily use them as a gauge but I've always thought Taraji sounded like a DC girl in her natural voice. As a matter of fact, she sounds very much like Pastor Susie Owens of Greater Mt. Clavary Church who, although a Texas native, has been in DC long enough to sound just like a DC chick LOL.
Taraji P Henson, Regina Hall, and Wale are very DC. So is Martin Lawrence. That is classic DC. That's how I sound on certain words. The young kids in the 25 and under range don't have that accent anymore. They sound closer to people from other places. Even the DC accent is almost gone.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:30 PM

Classic DC accent.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An3fxESOZ4E

Old 05-25-2020, 10:32 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Taraji P Henson, Regina Hall, and Wale are very DC. So is Martin Lawrence. That is classic DC. That's how I sound on certain words. The young kids in the 25 and under range don't have that accent anymore. They sound closer to people from other places. Even the DC accent is almost gone.
I can believe it. I wonder how it is for that group (Gen Z) in other cities?

Old 05-25-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I can believe it. I wonder how it is for that group (Gen Z) in other cities?
Good question, everyone should chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City