Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 08:41 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Washington and Atlanta are easily the two best cities for African Americans in the country, but when we speak of successful Black areas, they are mainly suburbs. I am planning on working in the government field when I graduate college and want to live in a walkable, urban, transit-connected neighborhood in one of these cities. This is a thread to compare urban districts in these two cities with significant African American populations (I'm from Atlanta so I'm used to higher black populations but I'll set the lowest percentage at 30%). Which city is better for Black urban living? Which has better transit access to black neighborhoods? What about amenities?
"Easily the best cities...." says who? The Atlanta Chamber of Commerce? If a black person wants to live in a prison and not travel more than 50 miles from the center of Atlanta, yeah, it's good, but Georgia is still stuck in the 1950s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 09:50 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
"Easily the best cities...." says who? The Atlanta Chamber of Commerce? If a black person wants to live in a prison and not travel more than 50 miles from the center of Atlanta, yeah, it's good, but Georgia is still stuck in the 1950s.
Thankfully most of metro Atlanta isn't, but your point is valid.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:05 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,743,276 times
Quote:
Georgia has more African Americans than any other state. I've been all over Georgia in many small towns to mid-size metros and have never felt unsafe. Yes, there are problematic people but for the most part we aren't getting massacred here.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:36 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,837 times
Quote:
I'm planning on becoming a policy analyst or congressional staff assistant. I mainly want to work with public policy but I'm not sure of all of the possible job options yet (I have 2-3 more years to find out.) I want to be close to congress so I'm already leaning toward DC, but my family and friends are all in Atlanta and I have more political connections there at the moment.
Atlanta, easily. Atlanta is called Black Hollywood for a reason, because of the prevalence of black professionals in government, business, entertainment, etc. You have the political connections in Atlanta, so I think you could leverage your Atlanta political connections to DC if you choose DC. Remember, Atlanta has 3 business centers in Midtown, Downtown and Buckhead, so you can live in close proximity to any of those areas.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:38 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Atlanta, easily. Atlanta is called Black Hollywood for a reason, because of the prevalence of black professionals in government, business, entertainment, etc. You have the political connections in Atlanta, so I think you could leverage your Atlanta political connections to DC if you choose DC. Remember, Atlanta has 3 business centers in Midtown, Downtown and Buckhead, so you can live in close proximity to any of those areas.
It’s not even urban though. Compared to DC? Do people not get the question?

Old 05-13-2020, 09:48 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
I hear you but most African Americans live in the south-including on here. There’s some biased towards southern places. There re negative aspects of life in every American state that don’t necessarily effect a given population on a day to day basis or even month to month, year to year. There are also just thing people get used to living with that people in other areas might be abhorred by. Every state/regions I agree I think is pretty backwards but there a lot to offset that for most blacks. Most importantly-Atlanta, and why would u be going 50 miles out of Atlanta or need to?

The things that northern/western whites or even blacks value are not neccesarily the same things blacks in Georgia value.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:55 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Georgia has more African Americans than any other state. I've been all over Georgia in many small towns to mid-size metros and have never felt unsafe. Yes, there are problematic people but for the most part we aren't getting massacred here.
This may come down to who you are counting, but even then, TX would likely be #1 and just became so recently: https://blackdemographics.com/popula...te-population/

Also, this thread may have some more suggestions as well: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...orhood-13.html

Old 05-13-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
No, Texas is the state that has the most African Americans. Georgia is like fourth or fifth largest.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It’s not even urban though. Compared to DC? Do people not get the question?
This is ultimately a comparison thread.

Atlanta has relatively urban neighborhoods (walkable areas with commercial districts in the core of the city with access to rail transit) with sizable Black populations though whereas DC has more. Just because DC is more urban and has more urban neighborhoods doesn't mean that one of Atlanta's options wouldn't suit the OP better. It wouldn't be any fun at all just to answer "DC" and then effectively close the thread.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:24 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times
a better question I would love to see discussed is whats the best walkable/urban neighborhoods/cities for blacks besides DC or Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City