Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2020, 07:52 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Cita's accent is very "DC." That is interesting how you mentioned that some younger people don't speak with the local accent anymore in the DMV area. Do you have any videos with the newer accent that you hear? Here are some videos I found to represent younger AA's in Richmond and the Hampton Roads area of VA. From the videos, some of the youth seem to retain similar accents/speech patterns to the older generation AA's in Richmond and Tidewater VA.

Example: (Richmond, VA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MScFZrm8U8A

Portsmouth, VA/Hampton, VA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AZ_HIb6WyQChesapeake, VA

Chesapeake,VA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEMQt8_EF1k
I’m from Richmond and heard no accent on the first clip, haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 08:25 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There's a lot more to uniqueness than a failure to neatly fit into the North or South. I could make a case that my ancestral Gullah/Geechee culture of the SC/GA Lowcountry is the most unique region in the country as no other has held on as strongly to its West African roots and even aspects of its Caribbean heritage (the first slaves that came to Charleston came directly from Barbados). I could also make an argument for New Orleans and its heavily Creole heritage. DC not fitting neatly into a Northern/Southern dichotomy in the 21st century would probably be the least relevant aspect of uniqueness overall compared to certain other regions and their key characteristics.
Agreed. Most unique black populous’ in terms of:

Built environment? New York

Linguistically? California, Baltimore, Houston, and New Orleans

Musically? New Orleans and DC

Ethnically? New Orleans and Boston

Culturally? (idk maybe Seattle? or Miami?)

Historically? Charleston

Politically? (not sure, maybe Texas?)

That’s a bit more interesting than geographic location I think. Or at least a deeper dive and an unpacking. Looks like New Orleans is most unique, from my list.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:52 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I agree we have influences from all over. I was only making the case that DC is more unique than any of the cities in the north and the south meaning it doesn't fit into any of the regions. It's not really south, it's not really north, it's not west coast and it's not mid-west.
Lmao, I get what you're trying to say, but as written this displays a major lack of both self awareness, and awareness of other places...

Old 05-28-2020, 08:23 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Agreed. Most unique black populous’ in terms of:

Built environment? New York

Linguistically? California, Baltimore, Houston, and New Orleans

Musically? New Orleans and DC

Ethnically? New Orleans and Boston

Culturally? (idk maybe Seattle? or Miami?)

Historically? Charleston

Politically? (not sure, maybe Texas?)

That’s a bit more interesting than geographic location I think. Or at least a deeper dive and an unpacking. Looks like New Orleans is most unique, from my list.
Linguistically and culturally, the SC/GA Lowcountry is way up there along with southern Louisiana. Gullah is a Creole language and even has its own New Testament translation. The culture contains direct links to West African heritage, more so than anywhere else in the country apart from places with direct immigrants from West Africa.

Charleston and New Orleans should get marks for their built environment as well for their Caribbean architectural influences.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Linguistically and culturally, the SC/GA Lowcountry is way up there along with southern Louisiana. Gullah is a Creole language and even has its own New Testament translation. The culture contains direct links to West African heritage, more so than anywhere else in the country apart from places with direct immigrants from West Africa.

Charleston and New Orleans should get marks for their built environment as well for their Caribbean architectural influences.
Gullah Geechee isn’t really very large (or a city) at all but you’re right. That’s just why I excluded them. And it’s a fading culture. I used Charleston as a stand in, kind of

Charleston and New Orleans deserve some shout outs for unique build but in that case so does Boston.

No other major city in America has 100% black streets that are all triple deckers. https://goo.gl/maps/wmZ1csv9s73SmpRE9

Newark has a few triple deckers here and there though. https://goo.gl/maps/Jp9ezHiPZBBKqLSX8

New York’s scale and density is just unparalleled though. And many black people are in the heart of all that concrete jungle .

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-28-2020 at 09:54 AM..

Old 05-28-2020, 11:10 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
i always disliked the triple decker...aka "Bayonne boxes" in North NJ lol.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
i always disliked the triple decker...aka "Bayonne boxes" in North NJ lol.
Yea the Bayonne Box sucks-a lot. but it’s different than a triple decker. Newark has some legit triple deckers. Which while not great are much better than Bayonne boxes.

Bayonne Boxes: https://goo.gl/maps/gBpzTMVLHsDnKHAK6

Triple Deckers: https://goo.gl/maps/vVBCVDKCa6EpxgyV7

Boston does have a few quasi Bayonne Boxes too: https://goo.gl/maps/tS8GCj32MXawJKdd8

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-28-2020 at 11:54 AM..

Old 05-28-2020, 12:33 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Gullah Geechee isn’t really very large (or a city) at all but you’re right. That’s just why I excluded them. And it’s a fading culture. I used Charleston as a stand in, kind of
The purest form of Gullah/Geechee culture is fading (sadly) but the influences of that culture are still very palpable in SC and GA and I was referencing the Lowcountry/Sea Islands as the geographical point of reference. My family isn't pure Gullah/Geechee but we are part of the larger culture due to influences in speech, cuisine, etc. which go pretty far inland.

Quote:
New York’s scale and density is just unparalleled though. And many black people are in the heart of all that concrete jungle .
No doubt, but I mentioned Charleston and New Orleans because of the Caribbean architectural influences. I'd throw Mobile and maybe Galveston in there also.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:38 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
The purest form of Gullah/Geechee culture is fading (sadly) but the influences of that culture are still very palpable in SC and GA and I was referencing the Lowcountry/Sea Islands as the geographical point of reference. My family isn't pure Gullah/Geechee but we are part of the larger culture due to influences in speech, cuisine, etc. which go pretty far inland.

No doubt, but I mentioned Charleston and New Orleans because of the Caribbean architectural influences. I'd throw Mobile and maybe Galveston in there also.
What is going on in the black neighborhoods of Charleston and New Orleans? Revitalization? Black educated young people driven gentrification? If not in those cities, do you know of any other cities where black educated people are gentrifying black neighborhoods? Birmingham maybe? Haven't heard much about Houston or Dallas in regards to this either. Is it taking place in those cities?

Old 05-28-2020, 01:22 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
***Breaking News: D.C.’s Department of General Services will Move Office to Northeast Heights in Downtown Ward 7***

Northeast Heights Renderings

D.C.’s Department of General Services will join the Department of Employment Services in Downtown Ward 7 as the second agency to locate to the booming neighborhood. Parkside is also in the running to land a Federal or City tenant. Today will go down as a major milestone for the redevelopment of this area for the black community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City