Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 01:47 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What is going on in the black neighborhoods of Charleston and New Orleans? Revitalization? Black educated young people driven gentrification? If not in those cities, do you know of any other cities where black educated people are gentrifying black neighborhoods? Birmingham maybe? Haven't heard much about Houston or Dallas in regards to this either. Is it taking place in those cities?
My point was about the uniqueness of the architecture in those cities in response to BostonBornMassMade's post with the categories he listed. I don't have any data about Black-driven gentrification in any of the cities you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
***Breaking News: D.C.’s Department of General Services will Move Office to Northeast Heights in Downtown Ward 7***

Northeast Heights Renderings

D.C.’s Department of General Services will join the Department of Employment Services in Downtown Ward 7 as the second agency to locate to the booming neighborhood. Parkside is also in the running to land a Federal or City tenant. Today will go down as a major milestone for the redevelopment of this area for the black community.
That's definitely major. It will be interesting to see the demographic changes that occur as a result.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:13 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Is black on black gentrification really that rare? I feel like it’s not because all of my young is/late 20s college educate black peers are moving into cities or remaining in them if they We’re raised there... Or do we just call that the neighborhood improving? Or are we lookin mg at neighborhood where 50%+ of new residents/gentrifiers are black. Serious questions.

We already know NYC and DC have it. I think ATL has it. I’d argue Bsoton and Philly might have it. Those two cities are becoming more expensive and desirable but losing no black residents-in fact they’re slowly gaining.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:09 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's definitely major. It will be interesting to see the demographic changes that occur as a result.

It's going to be an interesting case study for sure. One thing that makes this area especially interesting is the surrounding neighborhood is full of owner occupied homes by black professionals. Benning, Eastland Garden's, and Parkside are neighborhoods with homes being bought by black professionals. It's a significant factor that hasn't existed in the urban core areas around DC that have seen gentrification. It's also not common in many other areas seeing development in other cities.

As this area develops into it's own downtown urban core for Ward 7, will it anchor Prince George's County and Ward 7 as the area with black restaurants, stores, and nightlife? I guess we will see. Having a strong employment base is definitely going to make this area unique compared to other areas. Parkside has multiple parcels ready for more office workers. The DC government also has a heavily black workforce so that is a factor too.

Parkside Development Master Plan Parcels

Old 05-28-2020, 11:25 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
MD you beat me to it...Who are you Nostradamus? That's literally the exact block we've been posting on Minnesota Ave for half the thread.

I just have to re-post though...

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt..._news_headline

Old 05-29-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
MD you beat me to it...Who are you Nostradamus? That's literally the exact block we've been posting on Minnesota Ave for half the thread.

I just have to re-post though...

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt..._news_headline
LOL...I made an educated guess. On a serious note, I'm very interested to see these numbers below change as all this development continues in Ward 7 and Ward 8. I'm making another educated guess that in 10-years, these zip codes will have some of the highest percentages for black degree holders in urban cities anywhere. There are currently 21,171 (mostly black) degree holders in Wards 7 and Ward 8. Those numbers could double over the next couple years.

Zip Code 20019 = 57,415 black people (93.14% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 239
-Masters Degrees = 1,872
-Bachelors Degrees = 3,278
-Associates Degrees = 2,239

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 13%

Zip Code 20020 = 52,945 black people (94.36% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 321
-Masters Degrees = 2,445
-Bachelors Degrees = 3,434
-Associates Degrees = 2,079

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 16%

Zip Code 20032 = 37,070 black people (89.87% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 191
-Masters Degrees = 1,375
-Bachelors Degrees = 2,370
-Associates Degrees = 1,328

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 14%

Source

Old 05-29-2020, 09:49 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Is black on black gentrification really that rare? I feel like it’s not because all of my young is/late 20s college educate black peers are moving into cities or remaining in them if they We’re raised there... Or do we just call that the neighborhood improving? Or are we lookin mg at neighborhood where 50%+ of new residents/gentrifiers are black. Serious questions.

We already know NYC and DC have it. I think ATL has it. I’d argue Bsoton and Philly might have it. Those two cities are becoming more expensive and desirable but losing no black residents-in fact they’re slowly gaining.
Most people associate gentrification with displacement, so in that sense, there is no "black on black gentrification." Black people do not have the wealth or numbers to drive up rents and the price of real estate. Just compare the price of a home in PG/Dekalb to the price of a home in Montgomery/North Fulton. If I'm not mistaken, PG County only has one Whole Foods and it's in College Park, which is predominantly White. Northern Virginia has 9 and Montgomery County has 5.

So IMO I don't think black gentrification really exists since Black people alone do not have the ability to completely transform the character of a neighborhood. It might be possible if all high-earning Black professionals decided to move to one city. "Black gentrification" is a trickle whereas White gentrification is a tsunami.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:52 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Most people associate gentrification with displacement, so in that sense, there is no "black on black gentrification." Black people do not have the wealth or numbers to drive up rents and the price of real estate. Just compare the price of a home in PG/Dekalb to the price of a home in Montgomery/North Fulton. If I'm not mistaken, PG County only has one Whole Foods and it's in College Park, which is predominantly White. Northern Virginia has 9 and Montgomery County has 5.

So IMO I don't think black gentrification really exists since Black people alone do not have the ability to completely transform the character of a neighborhood. It might be possible if all high-earning Black professionals decided to move to one city.
I agree with this. I don’t think black gentrification exist. Mainly because culturally that can’t really happen. Black people are defined by duality and intersectionality. Even the most successful Or silver spoon black people (Of which there are so few) have familial and friendship ties to many different and lower socioeconomic classes. The cultural displacement doesn’t occur.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

So IMO I don't think black gentrification really exists since Black people alone do not have the ability to completely transform the character of a neighborhood. It might be possible if all high-earning Black professionals decided to move to one city. "Black gentrification" is a trickle whereas White gentrification is a tsunami.
That is incorrect. The home prices in 20019 have doubled in the last 5-years driven by black professionals. Houses were between $200,000 - $250,000 in 2015. They are now between $400,000 - $450,000 in 2020. Those tax increases on property for the surrounding community will be felt regardless if black people are buying the homes versus white people.

I think displacement is true for renters more than homeowners. Home prices are the first (unnoticed) sign of gentrification which can lead to displacement, but most people in danger of displacement are renters. The (noticed) sign that most people associate with gentrification and displacement are renters being priced out. That hasn't hit most low income black areas including Ward 7 and Ward 8 because most low income black areas see very little new luxury class A apartment construction because the attainable rents in the area will not support new construction costs.

That is obviously changing for the first time now, but hasn't been the case thus far because nothing was being built until now. The question remains who will be the dominant race in these neighborhoods now that development is moving? I can't think of a case study where professional black people were moving to low income areas followed by development to see what the future holds.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I agree with this. I don’t think black gentrification exist. Mainly because culturally that can’t really happen. Black people are defined by duality and intersectionality. Even the most successful Or silver spoon black people (Of which there are so few) have familial and friendship ties to many different and lower socioeconomic classes. The cultural displacement doesn’t occur.
Yep. We are all bound by a common culture regardless of SES so even if higher-income Blacks were to eventually become the dominant group in a neighborhood that once had a Black working-class/underclass majority, many of the businesses and institutions of the neighborhood would still be in place. Black folks making six figures are still going to patronize the corner store, chicken wing joint, soul food restaurant, beauty supply store, barber shops, beauty salons, funeral homes, etc. in those neighborhoods, and new development is more likely to contain commercial establishments that complement the current mix as opposed to completely displacing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City