Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 11:40 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep. We are all bound by a common culture regardless of SES so even if higher-income Blacks were to eventually become the dominant group in a neighborhood that once had a Black working-class/underclass majority, many of the businesses and institutions of the neighborhood would still be in place. Black folks making six figures are still going to patronize the corner store, chicken wing joint, soul food restaurant, beauty supply store, barber shops, beauty salons, funeral homes, etc. in those neighborhoods, and new development is more likely to contain commercial establishments that complement the current mix as opposed to completely displacing it.
The most important factor here is that black businesses and people must own their homes and buildings. When the rent can't be raised as development moves around you, that is the only thing that will guarantee black businesses stay in place. The displacement of black businesses in booming areas around the nation is tied to rent increases from landlords, not whether people patronize their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 12:17 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That is incorrect. The home prices in 20019 have doubled in the last 5-years driven by black professionals.
That appreciation is not being driven by Black professionals. The price appreciation is being driven by market forces at work through the city as a whole. That is happening in all DC neighborhoods.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:20 PM

64 posts, read 59,482 times
MDAllstar is the neighborhood around Kennedy Street and the neighborhoods east of Georgia Avenue still majority black? Are the businesses there black? That is a pretty large area. I know it's not extremely urban but it is very walkable and in tact. I guess there is more development slated for wards 7 and 8 than those areas?

Old 05-29-2020, 12:25 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVmyman View Post
MDAllstar is the neighborhood around Kennedy Street and the neighborhoods east of Georgia Avenue still majority black? Are the businesses there black? That is a pretty large area. I know it's not extremely urban but it is very walkable and in tact. I guess there is more development slated for wards 7 and 8 than those areas?
I believe there are still majority black, but plenty of Hispanics and Whites.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That appreciation is not being driven by Black professionals. The price appreciation is being driven by market forces at work through the city as a whole. That is happening in all DC neighborhoods.
Based on what was written below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That is incorrect. The home prices in 20019 have doubled in the last 5-years driven by black professionals. Houses were between $200,000 - $250,000 in 2015. They are now between $400,000 - $450,000 in 2020. Those tax increases on property for the surrounding community will be felt regardless if black people are buying the homes versus white people.

I think displacement is true for renters more than homeowners. Home prices are the first (unnoticed) sign of gentrification which can lead to displacement, but most people in danger of displacement are renters. The (noticed) sign that most people associate with gentrification and displacement are renters being priced out. That hasn't hit most low income black areas including Ward 7 and Ward 8 because most low income black areas see very little new luxury class A apartment construction because the attainable rents in the area will not support new construction costs.

That is obviously changing for the first time now, but hasn't been the case thus far because nothing was being built until now. The question remains who will be the dominant race in these neighborhoods now that development is moving? I can't think of a case study where professional black people were moving to low income areas followed by development to see what the future holds.
What happens when a black person living in 20019 can't afford to buy a house in the neighborhood because other black people bought renovated homes that cost way more than what they could afford raising the value of housing in the neighborhood? This person rents and their landlord has raised their rent to a point where they can no longer afford the increase.

Now....

Replace "black" for the person buying the house with "white" in the question I just asked....

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-29-2020 at 02:06 PM..

Old 05-29-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVmyman View Post
The neighborhoods are mixed, but majority black still. The businesses are a mixed bag. These two areas aren't really comparable though. The development in Ward 7 and Ward 8 is downtown level development with jobs and mixed use high-rises. Development intensity of that level is not planned around Kennedy Street which is residential without an employment base.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:32 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
I've been streetviewing DC for a few weeks and found this weird empty shopping center in PG (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9028...7i13312!8i6656), what's the story behind this place?

Old 06-03-2020, 04:59 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I've been streetviewing DC for a few weeks and found this weird empty shopping center in PG (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9028...7i13312!8i6656), what's the story behind this place?
https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...opment-in.html

Old 06-03-2020, 05:57 AM

354 posts, read 785,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I just drove thru there yesterday. The town center row in the the google view is completely gone except for the the Magic Theaters and Carolina Kitchen soul food restaurant. The restaurants on the outside of the row are still open.. chik-fila, chucke e. cheese, Fridays, and Longhorn Steakhouse.

It was called The Boulvard at the Capital Centre because it is the former site of US Air Arena(Capital Center) were the washington bullets played. It was built around 2004-5ish. When it first opened it was lit but a few high-profiled incidents and murders there gave it a somewhat bad reputation and it became stagnant over the years. And with the nearby Woodmore Towne Centre being built a few years ago the BLVD was pretty much dead.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:21 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Damn, I hope they fix it up one day, that entire area looks like a mess. The road layout is terrible, there's a weirdly placed transit station, and an ugly unwalkable NFL stadium. It reminds me of Morrow in the Atlanta area, just a ton of potential but no follow-through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City