Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 08:21 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,742,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is west of 295, but it's directly connected to Benning via Kenilworth. It's Minnesota Ave that is separated from that area by 295.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa...84!4d-76.94945
My issue with Parkside was that to access any retail (Benning is the neighborhood the nearest grocery store is according to Google Maps, I know they get neighborhood names wrong sometimes though) I’d have to cross the freeway which seems like a major inconvenience. This being west of 295 would completely change that though and now Parkside looks like a great option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 10:42 AM

37,878 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
My issue with Parkside was that to access any retail (Benning is the neighborhood the nearest grocery store is according to Google Maps, I know they get neighborhood names wrong sometimes though) I’d have to cross the freeway which seems like a major inconvenience. This being west of 295 would completely change that though and now Parkside looks like a great option.
Yes the Safeway at near the intersection of Benning and Minnesota is the nearest grocery store. Since you can only go west on Benning from Kenilworth, getting there actually would require you to cross 295 but I wouldn't call it a major inconvenience; you'd just take Kenilworth north to Deane/Burroughs which goes under 295 and immediately turn onto Minnesota and drive just under a mile and you're there. Or you could get on 295 north itself from Kenilworth for that extremely short stretch to the Burroughs exit and make the right on Minnesota. But it would definitely be easier if there was a way to make a left on Benning from Kenilworth; it would cut the trip time in half or a little more.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:47 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post

Parkside Pedestrian Bridge

There is already a pedestrian bridge over I-295 that crosses over to Minnesota Avenue now, however, a second pedestrian bridge is now under construction. There is a lot of pedestrian traffic between these areas already which will increase even more after the new bridge is complete.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Parkside Pedestrian Bridge

There is already a pedestrian bridge over I-295 that crosses over to Minnesota Avenue now, however, a second pedestrian bridge is now under construction. There is a lot of pedestrian traffic between these areas already which will increase even more after the new bridge is complete.
True but for grocery trips, folks will understandably want to drive. It would be helpful if the Kenilworth/Benning intersection were redesigned to allow vehicular traffic to go east on Benning somehow. You can't even make a legal u-turn at the first light you get to on Benning after getting off Kenilworth.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Yes the Safeway at near the intersection of Benning and Minnesota is the nearest grocery store. Since you can only go west on Benning from Kenilworth, getting there actually would require you to cross 295 but I wouldn't call it a major inconvenience; you'd just take Kenilworth north to Deane/Burroughs which goes under 295 and immediately turn onto Minnesota and drive just under a mile and you're there. Or you could get on 295 north itself from Kenilworth for that extremely short stretch to the Burroughs exit and make the right on Minnesota.
He can take Kenilworth Avenue to Benning Road and make a u-turn too. The city is working on other street connections to Benning Road from Parkside, but nothing has started construction.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
True but for grocery trips, folks will understandably want to drive. It would be helpful if the Kenilworth/Benning intersection were redesigned to allow vehicular traffic to go east on Benning somehow. You can't even make a legal u-turn at the first light you get to on Benning after getting off Kenilworth.
True, the city is working on other street connections now. Having a grocery store in Parkside will help this issue too. He also will have another grocery store option on Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue which is about the same distance from Benning.

Deanwood Town Center
Deanwood Town Center Grocery Store

The grocery store will be across the street from the Ward 7 location of the Michelin Bib Gourmand Winning "Ivy City Smoke House" which will be called Deanwood Smokehouse.

Deanwood Smoke House

Last edited by MDAllstar; 06-19-2020 at 11:13 AM..

Old 06-19-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
True, the city is working on other street connections now. Having a grocery store in Parkside will help this issue too. He also will have another grocery store option on Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue which is about the same distance from Benning.

Deanwood Town Center
Deanwood Town Center Grocery Store

The grocery store will be across the street from the Ward 7 location of the Michelin Bib Gourmand Winning "Ivy City Smoke House" which will be called Deanwood Smokehouse.

Deanwood Smoke House
I would imagine Parkside would bring improvements to Kenilworth and Benning as traffic will certainly increase over there.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:46 PM

Northeast Heights Development to Break Ground in 2021

-Department of General Services (700 Person Agency)
-1,300 Housing Units
-200,000 Sq. Feet of Retail

Before joining Cedar Realty in 2016, Zeigler spent more than a decade with Federal Realty, the REIT that owns a host of retail properties including Bethesda Row. Zeigler said she hopes Northeast Heights can achieve the same level of placemaking as Bethesda Row.

"When I managed Bethesda Row, people didn't think about Bethesda Row relative to each individual restaurant or store, it was the collection of the whole; they said meet me at the fountain and I'll figure out where I want to go for dinner," Zeigler said. "Northeast Heights is kind of the same way, it's the collection of the whole and how we put together that collection of retailers and stores and anchors that will make it succeed."

Several other developers told Bisnow in mid-June they see the DGS move to Northeast Heights as a catalyst that will spur more investment and development in Ward 7, and Zeigler said she agrees with that assessment.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:48 AM

Essence Magazine Announces Winner of National Competition: Market 7 in Washington D.C.'s Ward 7 Wins $150,000

"Mary Blackford – Market 7 (Grand Prize Winner)
Market 7 is a community marketplace that features Black-owned businesses in Washington, DC; created for the purpose of alleviating the food and retail deserts in Ward 7.

Founded and led by Ward 7 resident, Mary Blackford, Market 7’s mission is to revitalize and restore the economic stability, holistic health, and the social needs of the residents in Ward 7 by developing sustainable commerce within the community. Over the last 3 years Market 7 has worked with 60 black-owned businesses in the Washington, DC area to create alternative community market pop-ups that includes fresh food, lifestyle products, and home items in Ward 7.

Market 7’s new project is a 7,000 sq ft food hall that will include a community grocery store and several food stall incubation's that will represent culinary favorites from across the Diaspora. The objectives of the new food hall are to alleviate food deserts in Ward 7 by creating a marketplace sourced with products and food concepts by Black-owned businesses, promote good health through sustainable lifestyle products, and build an ecosystem of support for entrepreneurs in an effort to cultivate access to educational resources, inspire innovation, and build profitable enterprises.

Market 7’s new food hall is slated to open in 2021."

Last edited by MDAllstar; 07-08-2020 at 05:02 AM..

Old 07-08-2020, 06:32 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,737 times
Atlanta and the black lifestyle are not urban. Almost everytime you hear a black person talking about Atlanta their vision is more based on owning a home in the sticks and driving everywhere hence the reason why black people who go to Atlanta are more prone to living in Atlantas suburbs.

I find it strange that people manage to lump Atlanta in every single black conversation even when it's easily disqualified. If I am black and looking for a more urban lifestyle as a black professional I am limiting my search to Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, and Washington DC.

Chicago/Philadelphia for example probably has similar cost of living like Atlanta and you have easier access to better transportation by a log shot and more walkable areas with a nice large black population.

The actual "urban" areas of Atlanta arent even areas that the average black person heads to anyway. Most black people who move to Atlanta almost always go to the burbs just to complain about traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City