Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 06:40 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
In Boston people don’t party much to hip hop at all. It’s 80% dancehall or people are leaving the party. And not the dancehall you get in DC or Atlanta...you get the new new and the nitty gritty. A good portion of the hip hop is local. At one point you had to wear Adidas Top Tens, but national brands were fine. Clothing brands people wore/wear in the city are Kingdom of Royal, IVBoston, CitiTeam and Olivier (Providence brand).

Lots of people throw Adidas Parties, Adidas only-something that originated in the 1980s around the same time as RUNDMC. There is/was such thing as Adidas Park and Adidas Trees. There’s also an afffonity for Triple Fat Goose and Northface for practical reasons.

I’ve attached some pictures of the last remaining flimsy, modest Adidas tree.
The same can be said for NYC. I swear if you want to ruin a party here just play hip hop. Obviously an over reaction but caribbean and afro beats def hold more weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 03:53 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Atlanta and the black lifestyle are not urban. Almost everytime you hear a black person talking about Atlanta their vision is more based on owning a home in the sticks and driving everywhere hence the reason why black people who go to Atlanta are more prone to living in Atlantas suburbs.

I find it strange that people manage to lump Atlanta in every single black conversation even when it's easily disqualified. If I am black and looking for a more urban lifestyle as a black professional I am limiting my search to Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, and Washington DC.

Chicago/Philadelphia for example probably has similar cost of living like Atlanta and you have easier access to better transportation by a log shot and more walkable areas with a nice large black population.

The actual "urban" areas of Atlanta arent even areas that the average black person heads to anyway. Most black people who move to Atlanta almost always go to the burbs just to complain about traffic.
You definitely have a point, and one could make your argument for DC as well (in that many of the black moving to the DC area move to Maryland or Virginia).
How do you feel about Los Angeles?

Old 07-08-2020, 04:22 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
I find it strange that people manage to lump Atlanta in every single black conversation even when it's easily disqualified. If I am black and looking for a more urban lifestyle as a black professional I am limiting my search to Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, and Washington DC.
The OP specifically included Atlanta in the discussion and is from Atlanta. Don't have a heart attack over it.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:19 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
A major D.C. agency will anchor the second phase of Anacostia's MLK Gateway

Old 07-20-2020, 09:07 PM

I can appreciate how city government agencies are being used as anchors for these developments. I'd hope that provisions are made for the employees to be able to live in or near the developments where they work if they choose to do so.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:19 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
Quote:
Atlanta and the black lifestyle are not urban. Almost everytime you hear a black person talking about Atlanta their vision is more based on owning a home in the sticks and driving everywhere hence the reason why black people who go to Atlanta are more prone to living in Atlantas suburbs.

Chicago/Philadelphia for example probably has similar cost of living like Atlanta and you have easier access to better transportation by a log shot and more walkable areas with a nice large black population.

The actual "urban" areas of Atlanta arent even areas that the average black person heads to anyway. Most black people who move to Atlanta almost always go to the burbs just to complain about traffic.
This is so true.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
This is so true.
It's also true for any place attracting a lot of Black transplants. Too bad that had nothing to do with what the OP is actually looking for as stated in the original post.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:41 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Interesting that this thread has gone on for so long, when I think it's widely acknowledged that DC by far the more urban city of the two. Then again scrolling through the posts and see who/what's being commented here it's understood why this has been dragged out.

The quote from the OP was " I am planning on working in the government field when I graduate college and want to live in a walkable, urban, transit-connected neighborhood in one of these cities. This is a thread to compare urban districts in these two cities with significant African American populations (I'm from Atlanta so I'm used to higher black populations but I'll set the lowest percentage at 30%). Which city is better for Black urban living? Which has better transit access to black neighborhoods? What about amenities?"

How is this not DC?

Yes people moving to any major metro area will also move into suburbs, but this is simply more common place in Atlanta (especially for Blacks) than most major cities in the nation. I know personally of two people who moved to ATL this summer, one from Detroit, another from Baltimore, who both bought houses in the far reaches of Gwinnett County, and were ecstatic on their new move to "Atlanta".

Last edited by the resident09; 07-21-2020 at 06:53 AM..

Old 07-21-2020, 06:50 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
The same can be said for NYC. I swear if you want to ruin a party here just play hip hop. Obviously an over reaction but caribbean and afro beats def hold more weight.
Truly deads a party..

Old 07-21-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Interesting that this thread has gone on for so long, when I think it's widely acknowledged that DC by far the more urban city of the two. Then again scrolling through the posts and see who/what's being commented here it's understood why this has been dragged out.

The quote from the OP was " I am planning on working in the government field when I graduate college and want to live in a walkable, urban, transit-connected neighborhood in one of these cities. This is a thread to compare urban districts in these two cities with significant African American populations (I'm from Atlanta so I'm used to higher black populations but I'll set the lowest percentage at 30%). Which city is better for Black urban living? Which has better transit access to black neighborhoods? What about amenities?"

How is this not DC?
This is C-D. You shouldn't be surprised by how long this thread has gone on LOL.

Quote:
Yes people moving to any major metro area will also move into suburbs, but this is simply more common place in Atlanta (especially for Blacks) than most major cities in the nation. I know personally of two people who moved to ATL this summer, one from Detroit, another from Baltimore, who both bought houses in the far reaches of Gwinnett County, and were ecstatic on their new move to "Atlanta".
Again, this is no different from Black folks moving to any place that's popular for Black folks right now--Charlotte, Houston, DFW, Orlando, Raleigh, etc. Even the Black folks moving to the city limits of those places are moving to their suburban reaches for the most part. And in the cities with lots of Black urbanites, there are tons of Black folks moving from the city centers to the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City