Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2020, 08:48 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is C-D. You shouldn't be surprised by how long this thread has gone on LOL.

Again, this is no different from Black folks moving to any place that's popular for Black folks right now--Charlotte, Houston, DFW, Orlando, Raleigh, etc. Even the Black folks moving to the city limits of those places are moving to their suburban reaches for the most part. And in the cities with lots of Black urbanites, there are tons of Black folks moving from the city centers to the suburbs.
In city’s with black urbanites that move is often unwilling or out of economic necessity. That’s important to note.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 09:06 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
In city’s with black urbanites that move is often unwilling or out of economic necessity. That’s important to note.
I'd say crime and schools are the main drivers. There are both push and pull factors at work in such moves. That goes for folks moving straight to suburban Atlanta from NYC proper and folks moving from Chicago proper to suburban Chicago.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I'd say crime and schools are the main drivers. There are both push and pull factors at work in such moves. That goes for folks moving straight to suburban Atlanta from NYC proper and folks moving from Chicago proper to suburban Chicago.
Oh I very much disagree. That’s a chunk of it, but I think a larger chunk is involuntary displacement. Also depends on the city.

Boston LA and NYC are safer than many suburban southern counties. Hilly would make sense but it’s gaining black residents.

People are leaving the Chicagoland area all together. Gentrification in the city and crime in the suburbs

And we know many are pushed into PG from DC...no one moves to pg for the schools..

The places that et the most black residents from major cities tend to have issues in their schools and crime issues as well

Old 07-21-2020, 12:25 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Quote:
This is C-D. You shouldn't be surprised by how long this thread has gone on LOL.

Again, this is no different from Black folks moving to any place that's popular for Black folks right now--Charlotte, Houston, DFW, Orlando, Raleigh, etc. Even the Black folks moving to the city limits of those places are moving to their suburban reaches for the most part. And in the cities with lots of Black urbanites, there are tons of Black folks moving from the city centers to the suburbs.
This is true. There are example showever of cities where the black population is growing in the city center AND the suburbs, like Charlotte, DC, and Orlando.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Oh I very much disagree. That’s a chunk of it, but I think a larger chunk is involuntary displacement. Also depends on the city.

Boston LA and NYC are safer than many suburban southern counties. Hilly would make sense but it’s gaining black residents.
I'm beginning to think involuntary displacement is overstated. There are Black folks are who are more than happy to sell their homes in urban neighborhoods and cash out and move to the suburbs, and do so willingly.

Quote:
People are leaving the Chicagoland area all together. Gentrification in the city and crime in the suburbs
Most Black folks leaving the city of Chicago remain in the metro area and those that don't are moving to the suburban areas of the Twin Cities, Indy, etc. Many people escaping the hood are getting away from urban life altogether, especially when kids are involved.

Quote:
And we know many are pushed into PG from DC...no one moves to pg for the schools..

The places that et the most black residents from major cities tend to have issues in their schools and crime issues as well
Moving from DC to PG is old news; Black folks are moving from PG to Charles County now and in some cases, straight from DC to Charles County.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
This is true. There are example showever of cities where the black population is growing in the city center AND the suburbs, like Charlotte, DC, and Orlando.
Black folks moving into Charlotte and Orlando proper are mostly settling into the suburban parts of those cities which cover a lot of ground. Charlotte has as much land as NYC does, and the Black folks moving there are a lot more likely to move to UC and Steele Creek. We both know that Black folks aren't crowding into all those new residential developments going up in South End.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I'm beginning to think involuntary displacement is overstated. There are Black folks are who are more than happy to sell their homes in urban neighborhoods and cash out and move to the suburbs, and do so willingly.

Most Black folks leaving the city of Chicago remain in the metro area and those that don't are moving to the suburban areas of the Twin Cities, Indy, etc. Many people escaping the hood are getting away from urban life altogether, especially when kids are involved.

Moving from DC to PG is old news; Black folks are moving from PG to Charles County now and in some cases, straight from DC to Charles County.
I think people just go quietly when the market in the city dries up for them. Its embarrassing and disheartening to do otherwise. People have accepted gentrification as a part of life at this point. Its not always the 15-year tenant getting evicted dragged out to the burbs kicking and screaming..at this point it just is and its a bummer. I dont think its overstated. Large groups of people seem to be doing all they can to not get pushed into he burbs by developers. Its always a hot topic-how can it be overstated if the societal conversation and empirical data support it?

And yea im familiar with Charles County its a damned purgatory is what it is. If i never have to go to Waldorf or La Plata again, ill be aight. Every city has an area (not racially) like Charles County.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:39 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Georgia has more African Americans than any other state. I've been all over Georgia in many small towns to mid-size metros and have never felt unsafe. Yes, there are problematic people but for the most part we aren't getting massacred here.
How's that "people aren't getting massacred here" thing working out for you? Georgia doesn't have the highest percentage black population in the US. Mississippi, Louisiana, and DC are more "black" as a percentage of the population and New York, Texas, and Florida are numerically bigger. Sorry.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I think people just go quietly when the market in the city dries up for them. Its embarrassing and disheartening to do otherwise. People have accepted gentrification as a part of life at this point. Its not always the 15-year tenant getting evicted dragged out to the burbs kicking and screaming..at this point it just is and its a bummer. I dont think its overstated. Large groups of people seem to be doing all they can to not get pushed into he burbs by developers. Its always a hot topic-how can it be overstated if the societal conversation and empirical data support it?
The data states that gentrification is happening; whether it is voluntary or involuntary is a much more subjective thing. I think that generally, it may be more involuntary for renters but more voluntary for homeowners.

Quote:
And yea im familiar with Charles County its a damned purgatory is what it is. If i never have to go to Waldorf or La Plata again, ill be aight. Every city has an area (not racially) like Charles County.
Anyone who hates suburbs despises exurbs so that's not surprising LOL. But in a place like DC where a lot of Black folks in SE and NE are homeowners, there's a good bit of voluntary cashing out and moving elsewhere.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:14 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:

Yes but in comparing Atlanta vs DC in urbanity whether it be city or suburbs there's a huge difference for what the OP is looking for.

DC city proper is significantly more dense with some of the best transit connections in the nation. DC's Urban Area is literally twice as dense as Atlanta's, that's on paper. There's suburban sprawl outside of every city that people move to, no denying that, but with the comparison being urbanity here in this thread idk what's to be debated for so long.

Atlanta attracts a lot of people for various reasons, but regarding dense urban scale it's not comparable to DC. Now if the OP is looking for other attributes there may be some qualities he/she prefers in ATL, but being from there, probably already knows the tiny nuisances and urbanity details within the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City