Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2021, 01:57 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times

Advertisements

In Atlantas Westside:
Quote:
Earlier in September, Andy Peters, Greg Bluestein, and J. Scott Trubey reported that "[b]uyers affiliated with Microsoft are behind the $127 million purchase of the 70-acre Quarry Yards project in Atlanta’s Westside."
https://www.planetizen.com/news/2020...nt-plans-still

Centennial Yards is a $5b downtown redevelopment full of retail,residential and commercial development, Truly massive and transformation . Forty acres to be exact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUopq8kM7s4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Unfortunately, it looks at though the pandemic has jeopardized redevelopment plans for the West End Mall: https://saportareport.com/breaking-n...l-in-jeopardy/
Its back on even more ambitious
https://urbanize.city/atlanta/post/w...se-development

Quote:
According to the AJC, New York-based developer Tishman Speyer placed the West End mall under contract Friday with intentions of bulldozing the current stores and boutiques and building a mixed-use complex spanning 1.3 million square feet

Old 05-11-2021, 06:09 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
As it should be, that area has prime real estate potential.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:19 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
I was in Atlanta two weeks ago for a friends barbershop grand opening. I also went by another friends restaurant buildout near the old braves stadium. I love seeing all the new development in and near midtown, downtown. Spent some time in Piedmont Park Sunday which was packed. My only concern with this development and all the other developments being built is the lack of black residents moving into them. Look, I get it, black people move to Atlanta to buy a house at some point, but I thought the southern part of the city would remain black as these new developments go up.

I have a theory that the only way to protect the black culture when new developments go up is having a natural barrier like a river, mountain, etc. Something that stops the spillover from popular urban neighborhoods cutting off the natural gentrification creep brought by development. Usually a break in cohesiveness would be a bad thing for urbanism, but in the case of urban development and the black professional class, it seems to be the only thing keeping new development in black areas demographically black. I look at what the Anacostia River means for Ward 7 and 8 in DC and Prince George’s County, MD. The coming years will determine what these areas become in Atlanta and DC. The class A new apartment buildings on the east side of the Anacostia River whether in DC or MD are almost exclusively black professionals. I don’t see these Atlanta developments being that way.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
In Atlantas Westside:
https://www.planetizen.com/news/2020...nt-plans-still

Centennial Yards is a $5b downtown redevelopment full of retail,residential and commercial development, Truly massive and transformation . Forty acres to be exact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUopq8kM7s4
This project will be transformational for downtown Atlanta. It looks great!

Old 05-11-2021, 08:35 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,829 times
Centennial Yards is a great development but I have concerns that it won’t be all that diverse at the end of the day. I’m hoping it will but there’s no way to tell what will happen until it’s done. Is Downtown majority black now? I’ve seen many different demographics numbers with different results.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I was in Atlanta two weeks ago for a friends barbershop grand opening. I also went by another friends restaurant buildout near the old braves stadium. I love seeing all the new development in and near midtown, downtown. Spent some time in Piedmont Park Sunday which was packed. My only concern with this development and all the other developments being built is the lack of black residents moving into them. Look, I get it, black people move to Atlanta to buy a house at some point, but I thought the southern part of the city would remain black as these new developments go up.

I have a theory that the only way to protect the black culture when new developments go up is having a natural barrier like a river, mountain, etc. Something that stops the spillover from popular urban neighborhoods cutting off the natural gentrification creep brought by development. Usually a break in cohesiveness would be a bad thing for urbanism, but in the case of urban development and the black professional class, it seems to be the only thing keeping new development in black areas demographically black. I look at what the Anacostia River means for Ward 7 and 8 in DC and Prince George’s County, MD. The coming years will determine what these areas become in Atlanta and DC. The class A new apartment buildings on the east side of the Anacostia River whether in DC or MD are almost exclusively black professionals. I don’t see these Atlanta developments being that way.

Initially with this development in the West End,it had the development team Elevator City Partners Donray Von a black venture capitalist who grew up in nearby English Ave.went to Morehouse .He made it big in LA.His partner in this is Ryan Gravel.
Gravel is ,the guy whose idea was the Beltline. The Beltline by his design was to always to have controls to be inclusive in all stages. When he saw it being less of that he quit and supported groups that were committed to his full vision.
Quote:
Their financial backers fell thought but the new group that bought from them is committed to the vision enough to keep them both on.Elevator City Partners as it moves deeper into planning and development of West End Mall. Gravel and Von are also launching a $15 million economic development fund to address displacement and support minority-owned business.
I dont why you think DC is any different than Atlanta. DC is not the same city it was in the late 90s. I actually see Atlanta doing more not to keep these neighborhoods black but keeping more blacks included from not loosing their homes. That should be the goal as the world is getting smaller and more people are interacting with people they wouldnt have before.
The Westend will always have some flavor as many institutional resources are prominent there.
Thats the city but the suburbs are a different story. Atlanta doesnt have a Prince Georges County but does have South Dekalb and Fulton Counties where only the Southern portion is majority black.Then there is Clayton County which I think has tons of potential but slowly coming into his own as it has experienced major demographics shift not seen in DC as it was once majority white just 25 years ago but now the blackest county in the metro at 70 percent.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Centennial Yards is a great development but I have concerns that it won’t be all that diverse at the end of the day. I’m hoping it will but there’s no way to tell what will happen until it’s done. Is Downtown majority black now? I’ve seen many different demographics numbers with different results.
I believe it is but GSU kinda makes it more diverse. It wont be. There is absolutely no thought other than the mandatory 20% affordable housing. Its not gonna be Buckhead at least

Old 05-11-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I dont why you think DC is any different than Atlanta. DC is not the same city it was in the late 90s. I actually see Atlanta doing more not to keep these neighborhoods black but keeping more blacks included from not loosing their homes. That should be the goal as the world is getting smaller and more people are interacting with people they wouldnt have before.

Ward 7 and Ward 8 are over 90% black in DC. The Anacostia River will probably always keep these majority black for decades just like Prince George's County. What will protect SW Atlanta? It is so close to downtown Atlanta I don't see what will stop people from moving block by block by block. Barriers are the only protection against gentrification. Some people will still jump over the river, but not many. I think that is true anywhere in America. People tend to move north in DC to upper NW and upper NE or they jump the Potomac River to Arlington, VA. They don't really cross the Anacostia River.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-11-2021 at 12:30 PM..

Old 05-11-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
The Westend will always have some flavor as many institutional resources are prominent there.
Thats the city but the suburbs are a different story. Atlanta doesnt have a Prince Georges County but does have South Dekalb and Fulton Counties where only the Southern portion is majority black.Then there is Clayton County which I think has tons of potential but slowly coming into his own as it has experienced major demographics shift not seen in DC as it was once majority white just 25 years ago but now the blackest county in the metro at 70 percent.
The new development coming to Downtown Ward 7 in DC will be very interesting to track. The type of restaurants, demographics of daytime workers, and demographics of the residential population will play a huge role in the feel of the neighborhood.

Downtown Ward 7 in DC

New Columbia Town Center

-674 housing units
-100,000 sq. feet of retail

Market 7 Under Construction 2nd Quarter 2020

-14,000 sq. feet of retail

Parkside Master Plan
Parkside Parcel 11 Under Construction 2nd Quarter 2020
Parkside Parcel 8 and 9 Construction Start 1st Quarter 2021

-850,000 sq. feet of office space
-1500 housing units
-50,000 sq. feet of retail

Northeast Heights Construction Start Q1 2021

-241,000 sq. feet of office space
-1355 housing units
-200,000 sq. feet of retail

Total Downtown Ward 7 Development Pipeline

-1,091,000 sq. feet of office space
-3,529 housing units
-364,000 sq. feet of retail

Infrastructure

Pedestrian Bridge to Parkside
Bridge Rendering

Benning Road Street Car Extension

New I-295 and Benning Road Bridge Interchange
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City