Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2021, 04:24 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Ward 7 and Ward 8 are over 90% black in DC. The Anacostia River will probably always keep these majority black for decades just like Prince George's County. What will protect SW Atlanta? It is so close to downtown Atlanta I don't see what will stop people from moving block by block by block. Barriers are the only protection against gentrification. Some people will still jump over the river, but not many. I think that is true anywhere in America. People tend to move north in DC to upper NW and upper NE or they jump the Potomac River to Arlington, VA. They don't really cross the Anacostia River.
Im very familiar with the Anacostia area. No one saw a day white people would be moving into Westend but they are. Areas like Cascade will be black for a long time and there is no barrier.
The intown neighbohoods should strive for diversity and inclusion ,not removal and displacement .In some cases like Kirkwood in Atlanta,its been a good change.
Add Castleberry Hill still significantly black and growing.
https://www.brockbuilt.com/new-homes...berry-station/
Its when you go further out will you see very little movement in black neighborhoods changing
College Park Downtown business district is thriving with black owned businesses but the historic houses are largely white.
East Point area near Camp Creek is widely successful and still growing with mostly black middle class.

Last edited by CleverOne; 05-11-2021 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 05:34 PM

Article of College Park black business thriving.
https://travelnoire.com/college-park...rants-thriving
https://travelnoire.com/college-park...rants-thriving

Old 05-11-2021, 10:34 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Im very familiar with the Anacostia area. No one saw a day white people would be moving into Westend but they are. Areas like Cascade will be black for a long time and there is no barrier.
The intown neighbohoods should strive for diversity and inclusion ,not removal and displacement .In some cases like Kirkwood in Atlanta,its been a good change.
Add Castleberry Hill still significantly black and growing.
https://www.brockbuilt.com/new-homes...berry-station/
Its when you go further out will you see very little movement in black neighborhoods changing
College Park Downtown business district is thriving with black owned businesses but the historic houses are largely white.
East Point area near Camp Creek is widely successful and still growing with mostly black middle class.
So the thread is about neighborhoods with an urban built environment and high black population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Washington and Atlanta are easily the two best cities for African Americans in the country, but when we speak of successful Black areas, they are mainly suburbs. I am planning on working in the government field when I graduate college and want to live in a walkable, urban, transit-connected neighborhood in one of these cities. This is a thread to compare urban districts in these two cities with significant African American populations (I'm from Atlanta so I'm used to higher black populations but I'll set the lowest percentage at 30%). Which city is better for Black urban living? Which has better transit access to black neighborhoods? What about amenities?

That’s why my focus has been on areas that are experiencing substantial urban development in “urban neighborhoods” with a high black population. Cascade is not urban at all. The neighborhoods in Ward 7 and Ward 8 in DC, just like areas around downtown Atlanta and Midtown Atlanta, are experiencing substantial urban development, but the question has been who is moving into these developments? Earlier in the thread, most posters conceded that unlike areas east of the Anacostia River in the DMV where brand new class A apartment buildings are predominantly filled with young black middle class residents, the developments going up near midtown Atlanta and downtown Atlanta and intown neighborhoods have very few black people.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I love to see this!

Old 05-11-2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
So the thread is about neighborhoods with an urban built environment and high black population.

That’s why my focus has been on areas that are experiencing substantial urban development in “urban neighborhoods” with a high black population. Cascade is not urban at all. The neighborhoods in Ward 7 and Ward 8 in DC, just like areas around downtown Atlanta and Midtown Atlanta, are experiencing substantial urban development, but the question has been who is moving into these developments? Earlier in the thread, most posters conceded that unlike areas east of the Anacostia River in the DMV where brand new class A apartment buildings are predominantly filled with young black middle class residents, the developments going up near midtown Atlanta and downtown Atlanta and intown neighborhoods have very few black people.
Cascade is not urban but Castleberry Hill is,and College Park and East Point are on there way up with development as well.

You keep bringing up Anacostia as gentrification resistance but in my research thats not the case.
Quote:
According to a map created by NCRC of the neighborhoods it analyzed in D.C., the areas that gentrified from 2013 to 2017 include Columbia Heights, Petworth, NoMa, the eastern and northern edges of Capitol Hill, Navy Yard, Anacostia, and Marshall Heights.
https://dcist.com/story/20/06/18/dc-...us-city-study/
Quote:
In Wards 7 and 8, gentrification is making its way east of the river. Barry Farms, a historic public housing development in Ward 8 that has been home to Black residents since the end of the Civil War, has been slated for redevelopment for years, but has been tied up in litigation over the residents that have been displaced. MLK Gateway, a development that will include retail and office space at the corner of Good Hope Road and MLK Jr. Ave. SE, is on its second phase of construction. And Skyland Town Center, a mixed-use development in Ward 7, is in the works.
Quote:
“For all the talk of gentrification happening in cities all over the country, what we found is that it really isn’t,” said Myron Orfield, director of the institute, founded at the University of Minnesota law school to investigate growing social and economic disparities in American cities. “Washington is one of the few places in the country where real displacement is actually occurring. It’s quite rare.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...dca_story.html

Old 05-12-2021, 05:47 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
The West Side of Atlanta is seeing a ton of development.....looking for a house is very competitive but the development will only make the area better. The Centennial Yards project is dope

Old 05-12-2021, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Cascade is not urban but Castleberry Hill is,and College Park and East Point are on there way up with development as well.

You keep bringing up Anacostia as gentrification resistance but in my research thats not the case.

https://dcist.com/story/20/06/18/dc-...us-city-study/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...dca_story.html
Why do you keep referring to the Anacostia neighborhood? I said the Anacostia River. Anacostia is a tiny neighborhood in Ward 8. It’s one of 12 different neighborhoods in Ward 8. Ward 7 has 33 neighborhoods.

DC Neighborhood Map

Old 05-12-2021, 07:07 AM

There has been substantial gentrification in Ward 7 and Ward 8 over the last 10 years. It's being driven by young black professionals who are the main people buying homes driving the prices up in zip codes 20019, 20020, and 20032. Gentrification is about income, not race. Black people are gentrifiers too. I am a black gentrifier in Ward 7 and I have a ton of black friends that are black gentrifiers in Ward 7 and Ward 8. We are buying homes in droves. Here are some demogrphic stats for Ward 7 and 8 zipcodes 20019, 20020, and 20032:

Zip Code 20019 = 57,415 black people (93.14% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 239
-Masters Degrees = 1,872
-Bachelors Degrees = 3,278
-Associates Degrees = 2,239

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 13%

Zip Code 20020 = 52,945 black people (94.36% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 321
-Masters Degrees = 2,445
-Bachelors Degrees = 3,434
-Associates Degrees = 2,079

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 16%

Zip Code 20032 = 37,070 black people (89.87% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 191
-Masters Degrees = 1,375
-Bachelors Degrees = 2,370
-Associates Degrees = 1,328

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 14%

Source

Old 05-12-2021, 07:39 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Ward 7 and Ward 8 are over 90% black in DC. The Anacostia River will probably always keep these majority black for decades just like Prince George's County. What will protect SW Atlanta? It is so close to downtown Atlanta I don't see what will stop people from moving block by block by block. Barriers are the only protection against gentrification. Some people will still jump over the river, but not many. I think that is true anywhere in America. People tend to move north in DC to upper NW and upper NE or they jump the Potomac River to Arlington, VA. They don't really cross the Anacostia River.
SW Atlanta is large and not all of it is close to Downtown.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
SW Atlanta is large and not all of it is close to Downtown.
True, but I'm referring to the parts that can accommodate urban master planned mixed-use development like the West End project. The thread is about urban neighborhoods so as areas in SW Atlanta develop around downtown Atlanta, the questions is who will live there? I'm not talking about the suburban and almost rural areas in other parts of the City of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City