Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2021, 10:36 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
There has been substantial gentrification in Ward 7 and Ward 8 over the last 10 years. It's being driven by young black professionals who are the main people buying homes driving the prices up in zip codes 20019, 20020, and 20032. Gentrification is about income, not race. Black people are gentrifiers too. I am a black gentrifier in Ward 7 and I have a ton of black friends that are black gentrifiers in Ward 7 and Ward 8. We are buying homes in droves. Here are some demogrphic stats for Ward 7 and 8 zipcodes 20019, 20020, and 20032:

Zip Code 20019 = 57,415 black people (93.14% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 239
-Masters Degrees = 1,872
-Bachelors Degrees = 3,278
-Associates Degrees = 2,239

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 13%

Zip Code 20020 = 52,945 black people (94.36% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 321
-Masters Degrees = 2,445
-Bachelors Degrees = 3,434
-Associates Degrees = 2,079

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 16%

Zip Code 20032 = 37,070 black people (89.87% Black)

-Professional Degrees = 191
-Masters Degrees = 1,375
-Bachelors Degrees = 2,370
-Associates Degrees = 1,328

Total Black Population Percentage with Some Form of Degree: 14%

Source
These numbers mean nothing without percentage totals. Such as percent change in black.white population

Black gentrifyers should be fairly established in both cities with large well off black populations.I too was in that category as I used to flip houses in Atlanta worse neighborhoods.
Vine City ,Westend and English Ave are all going through gentrification with Westend being the furthest along
The majority of people in that area are renters as they are in Ward 7 and 8. Similar numbers in both cities
64/70 percent renters.
Im not seeing a huge difference in who is moving in and out. Or at leaast not on the wide scale for blacls like you suggest
If only 14% of the black pop is degreed,thats not substantial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 11:07 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
These numbers mean nothing without percentage totals. Such as percent change in black.white population

Black gentrifyers should be fairly established in both cities with large well off black populations.I too was in that category as I used to flip houses in Atlanta worse neighborhoods.
Vine City ,Westend and English Ave are all going through gentrification with Westend being the furthest along
The majority of people in that area are renters as they are in Ward 7 and 8. Similar numbers in both cities
64/70 percent renters.
Im not seeing a huge difference in who is moving in and out. Or at leaast not on the wide scale for blacls like you suggest
If only 14% of the black pop is degreed,thats not substantial
Please be mindful that D.C. is substantially more dense than Atlanta. DC proper has less than half the land of Atlanta proper and still has 200,000 more people living inside the 61.1 sq. mile city limits. The population of Ward 7 and Ward 8 alone is a little less than 1/3 the population of the entire City of Atlanta.

Ward 7 = 8.4 sq. miles
Ward 8 = 8.7 sq. miles
Total Land = 17.1 sq. miles

Total Population With Some Form of College Degrees = 21,171 people within 17.1 sq. miles with a population that is over 90% black.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Please be mindful that D.C. is substantially more dense than Atlanta. DC proper has less than half the land of Atlanta proper and still has 200,000 more people living inside the 61.1 sq. mile city limits. The population of Ward 7 and Ward 8 alone is a little less than 1/3 the population of the entire City of Atlanta.

Ward 7 = 8.4 sq. miles
Ward 8 = 8.7 sq. miles
Total Land = 17.1 sq. miles

Total Population With Some Form of College Degrees = 21,171 people within 17.1 sq. miles with a population that is over 90% black.

Of course I know that but thats not relevant information to how well off those areas are.
In both cities the poverty rate isnt much of a difference 27% DC vs 36% Atlanta English Ave.
Again ,without percentage increase decrease totals,these numbers dont mean much other than to confirm that we know DC is really black

Old 05-12-2021, 02:09 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Of course I know that but thats not relevant information to how well off those areas are.
In both cities the poverty rate isnt much of a difference 27% DC vs 36% Atlanta English Ave.
Again ,without percentage increase decrease totals,these numbers dont mean much other than to confirm that we know DC is really black
and is a 9 percent difference not relevant? keep in mind Atlanta is a cheaper city to live in yet has a higher poverty rate.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:21 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
The reason I brought this up to begin with was to show that Ward 7 and Ward 8 in DC are almost entirely black and the new developments will most likely be filled with young black professionals because of the Anacostia River creating a new urban revitalized black area of the city. I think over the next 10 years, developments in Ward 7 and Ward 8 will be considered the new "black cultural" downtown for the DMV.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:31 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
From what Ive heard, Atlanta. DC is good, but Atlanta is king.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
and is a 9 percent difference not relevant? keep in mind Atlanta is a cheaper city to live in yet has a higher poverty rate.
Not when the poverty rate is already in the double digits.
How is this relevant to the conversation of gentrification in both cities?

Old 05-12-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
The reason I brought this up to begin with was to show that Ward 7 and Ward 8 in DC are almost entirely black and the new developments will most likely be filled with young black professionals because of the Anacostia River creating a new urban revitalized black area of the city. I think over the next 10 years, developments in Ward 7 and Ward 8 will be considered the new "black cultural" downtown for the DMV.
So you honestly think a river will stop gentrification?
Quote:
In most American cities, gentrification has not pushed low-income residents out of the city they call home, according to a study.

But Washington is not most cities.

Quote:
Several of these zones are east of the Anacostia River, in Wards 7 and 8, where poor areas appear to be getting poorer, researchers said. In neighborhoods such as Good Hope and parts of Greenway, low-income populations have grown by about 60 percent.

“This may reflect an intensification of racial and economic segregation within the city proper, as individuals displaced from a set of gentrifying neighborhoods are concentrated into a nearby set of declining neighborhoods,” the study says.

Areas outside the District were more prone to this phenomenon, data shows.

About 437,000 residents of the city’s suburbs live in areas where low-income populations have increased by as much as 70 percent since 2000. Those areas simultaneously lost about 30 percent of their white residents, according to the data.

Parts of Prince George’s County were the most likely to experience these demographic changes, researchers said.

“The rents are less affordable for poor people in these declining areas not because the rents are going up,” Orfield said. “It’s because the poor people who live there are increasingly worse off.”
Quote:
Several of these zones are east of the Anacostia River, in Wards 7 and 8, where poor areas appear to be getting poorer, researchers said. In neighborhoods such as Good Hope and parts of Greenway, low-income populations have grown by about 60 percent.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...dca_story.html

Old 05-12-2021, 04:06 PM

37,880 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
It should also be taken into account that poverty rates typically aren't adjusted for COL either.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:29 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
As it should be, that area has prime real estate potential.
Have you been to that area? I agree that it's prime. There's also some development going up around Echo St (probably was already spoken about) that will further boost the West Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City