Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2021, 06:59 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Not when the poverty rate is already in the double digits.
How is this relevant to the conversation of gentrification in both cities?
I would say poverty rates and COL is definitely important in a conversation about gentrification lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 08:03 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I would say poverty rates and COL is definitely important in a conversation about gentrification lol.
You confusing me. Im the one who mentioned poverty rates to begin with. COL is very important and according to the article I quoted , COL is part of a larger problem that is increasing poverty in the poorest of neighborhoods.
Quote:
“The rents are less affordable for poor people in these declining areas not because the rents are going up,” Orfield said. “It’s because the poor people who live there are increasingly worse off.”

Old 05-13-2021, 06:29 AM

I was in English Ave area for the first time in a long time to visit a property my client owns, and was wowed by how much development has been going on. I wish I had taken some pictures. This development apparently has been going on for awhile. Its still run down but you can tell its cleaned up noticeably.

I saw this being built too

Quote:
In addition to the retail opportunities at Echo Street West, plans call for the 16,000-square-foot Guardian Studios artist and makerspace, the 20,000-square-foot Guardian Works event space, and a new open-air bar and dining experience all set to deliver in Spring 2021.

When complete, Echo Street West will span 2.4 million square feet of mixed-use space. The first phase encompasses 300,000 square feet of creative office, 50,000 square feet of retail, 3.4 acres of outdoor entertainment and gathering areas and 300 multifamily units.
https://i0.wp.com/whtnwmg.sfo2.cdn.d...2-1024x576.jpg
https://whatnowatlanta.com/new-echo-...asing-efforts/

Old 05-13-2021, 06:41 AM

Also on the Westside
Quote:
Local development firm Windsor Stevens plans to build over 120 residential units and 15,000 square feet of retail space at “The Proctor,” located at the corner of Oliver and Wheeler streets, the company announced Monday. It’s located just north of Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway and a block from the newly opened Westside Beltline Connector, a path that links downtown to the future Westside Beltline trail

Old 05-13-2021, 06:53 AM

Brock Built project on Westside
Quote:
Westside Yards calls for 1.3 million square feet of space across an 18.16-acre site, according to plans shared with What Now Atlanta (WNA) Tuesday.
Here’s the breakdown (subject to change): restaurant/retail (135,000 square feet), office (302,000 square feet), a 120-room hotel, 40 townhomes and 650 multifamily units.

I think there is more development going on in Atlanta's poorest neighborhoods than those poorest ones in DC.. This Microsoft thing is the equivalent of the Amazon project in Virginia if it were in Wards 7 and 8, The impact on Atlanta Westside has accelerated interest in the area

Last edited by CleverOne; 05-13-2021 at 07:14 AM..

Old 05-13-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Skyland Town Center Phase 1 is preparing to open in Ward 7 in DC at the end of 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrE0LUAdNNE
I watched the video again and realized that there are a lot more whites in the video than blacks which doesnt look like its marketed to be the next "black downtown" as you put it. It looks no different than whats happening all over the country. GENTRIFICATION.
No river or bridge is going to stop that anywhere

Old 05-13-2021, 07:04 AM

Quarry Yards where Microsoft just bought is going to be a game changer for Atlanta, A slow economic shift is moving to the Westside as so many other developments started before and since then more planned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl7Zo-J10Jc&t=9s

Old 05-13-2021, 07:19 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
Have you been to that area? I agree that it's prime. There's also some development going up around Echo St (probably was already spoken about) that will further boost the West Side.
I have. I lived down there for a year, and visit pretty regularly. My cousin lives just a bit south of the West End mall down on the other side of the train tracks. It's always had great potential due to the West End station already being located there. That development needs to happen though, to turn it into a much better mixed use area.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:13 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
I watched the video again and realized that there are a lot more whites in the video than blacks which doesnt look like its marketed to be the next "black downtown" as you put it. It looks no different than whats happening all over the country. GENTRIFICATION.
No river or bridge is going to stop that anywhere
LOL...you clearly don't know DC well. I don't see anybody but black people moving to the intersection of Good Hope Road SE and Alabama Avenue SE for at least another 10 years. Have you ever been there before?

Old 05-13-2021, 11:15 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Brock Built project on Westside

Here’s the breakdown (subject to change): restaurant/retail (135,000 square feet), office (302,000 square feet), a 120-room hotel, 40 townhomes and 650 multifamily units.

I think there is more development going on in Atlanta's poorest neighborhoods than those poorest ones in DC.. This Microsoft thing is the equivalent of the Amazon project in Virginia if it were in Wards 7 and 8, The impact on Atlanta Westside has accelerated interest in the area

Ummm....that is impossible. DC has over 15 million sq. feet of development moving in Ward 7 and Ward 8. These projects are massive master planned neighborhoods, that to be honest, probably are larger than any collective total amount of development in poor neighborhoods anywhere in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City