Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2021, 12:55 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
How do you put a price on things like the Beltline and new parks or community centers ? Things that encourages development?

Gotta be a good mix of investment that is trans formative beyond just new buildings
I don't know if any city in America spends more money in poor neighborhoods than DC does. I guess when you have a $200 million surplus every year, that money has to go somewhere.

Ward 7 Community Center's Under Development

New Woody Ward Recreation Center

New Fort Davis Community Center Playground/Splash Project

New Fort Dupont Ice Arena Project

New Joy Evans TR Community Center

New Texas Avenue Dog Park

New Deanwood Playground Renovation

New Fort Davis Community Center Playground/Splash Project

Ward 7 Community Center's Recently Completed

Deanwood Fitness Community Center Upgrades

Hillcrest Community Center Fitness Upgrades

Kenilworth Recreation Center Project

Ridge Road Recreation Center

Marvin Gaye Playground - Recreation Center - Trail Project

Ward 8 Community Center's Under Development

New Anacostia Recreation Center

New Congress Heights Recreation Center

New Ferebee Hope Recreation Center

New Oxon Run Outdoor Fitness Center

Ward 8 Community Center's Recently Completed

Bald Eagle Recreation Center Renovations

Barry Farm Recreation Center Project

Oxon Run Playground

Oxon Run Pool

Serena and Venus Williams Southeast Tennis and Learning Center Project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne;61037[youtube
2S_tb2vlxus[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S_tb2vlxus006]Not as well as you or the articles I quoted which are in odds with what you say is going om. All I can say is I dont think any city in the US is impervious to the effects of gentrification ,
Have you been to the intersection of James P Brawley and English Ave?
As I said before,Microsoft alone is a major investment right next to the Beltline.

Investment in infrastructure such as the Beltline I believe is more trans formative than having transit. Transit was already in the Bankhead area but it took projects like the Proctor Creek Greenway ,Beltline and Westside Park to attract Microsoft.
All around this Bankhead/English Ave areas are several new parks from arge to small as well as bike lane infrastructure.
Has that type of development been happening in those Wards?
Yes, the city is building a lot of infrastructure to support Ward 7 and Ward 8. Ward 7 and Ward 8 already have more parkland than most parts of DC FYI.

The Capital Trails Network
Fort Mahan National Park
Fort Dupont National Park
Kenithworth Park and Aquatic Gardens
Fort Circle Park National Recreation Trail, Washington, DC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-rMtC5YjA4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S_tb2vlxus&t=71s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYSdCcRnIwk

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-15-2021 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-15-2021, 04:24 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
New master planned development is the best way to bring the infrastructure you speak of. They produce multi-modal transportation infrastructure and new parks and civic spaces. Building the entire development at the same time is also the only way for retail to thrive. You need a critical mass of development with an anchor, preferably a grocery store, which drives foot traffic to all the other retail businesses that make up the retail mix for that development. Ward 7 and Ward 8 in DC have substantially more development under construction and in the pipeline right now than black neighborhoods in Atlanta.
Thank you but I know how development works. As I stated,:the Beltline was the catalyst for the development that followed on the Westside. There was nothing of particular note that stood out as anything more than some light gentrification at best. Now its a full on assault.
You can keep saying this that its more substantial development but how do you know?

Last edited by CleverOne; 05-15-2021 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-15-2021, 04:54 PM

Summerhill. is exploding with growth. When Mutiny mentioned measuring the levels of both cities poorest black neighborhoods,he also was referring to areas like Summerhill.Pittsburgh,Mechanicsville,Chooseword,Sa ndtown,etc.
Summerhill is one alone that is drastically changing . I dont pretend to know whats going on in DC and I cant believe you know whats going on in Atlanta ,but I dont know where and how DC would even have space to build something as massive as like GSU University Village in Summerhill.
In this video so much already has been built or being built as its being fueled by the university.They already bought Tuner Feild and are building a baseball field as well in a dense compact area encompassing 80 acres. New apartments,hotels,retal,offices, classrooms,retail and restaurants have already opened on Georgia Av.
Nothing you have posted or shown me has seem to equal this or even the 90 acre Microsoft campus.

Maybe DC does have more development you said 15b in development for DC but for Atlanta when you include JUST Centennial Yards,Quarry Yards,and this Summerhill/GSU development thats about $5-15b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvQ1-CfcpcU&t=16s

Old 05-15-2021, 04:56 PM

LOL
This looks like Washington Park in Atlanta every Sunday in the Summer even during the middle of the pandemic

BTW DC is my second favorite city. Actually it is my favorite.Even over Atlanta but its too cold,too expensive and the only city that can give Atlanta traffic a run for its money

Old 05-15-2021, 05:00 PM

Forgot to add the Summerhill Video

https://summerhillatl.com/

Last edited by CleverOne; 05-15-2021 at 06:15 PM..

Old 05-15-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Summerhill. is exploding with growth. When Mutiny mentioned measuring the levels of both cities poorest black neighborhoods,he also was referring to areas like Summerhill.Pittsburgh,Mechanicsville,Chooseword,Sa ndtown,etc.
Summerhill is one alone that is drastically changing . I dont pretend to know whats going on in DC and I cant believe you know whats going on in Atlanta ,but I dont know where and how DC would even have space to build something as massive as like GSU University Village in Summerhill.
In this video so much already has been built or being built as its being fueled by the university.They already bought Tuner Feild and are building a baseball field as well in a dense compact area encompassing 80 acres. New apartments,hotels,retal,offices, classrooms,retail and restaurants have already opened on Georgia Av.
Nothing you have posted or shown me has seem to equal this or even the 90 acre Microsoft campus.

Maybe DC does have more development you said 15b in development for DC but for Atlanta when you include JUST Centennial Yards,Quarry Yards,and this Summerhill/GSU development thats about $5-15b

So, I think the first thing we need to do is realize that the development zones for black neighborhoods under discussion are in different areas in relation to their downtowns for each respective city. Ward 7 and Ward 8 development being discussed here is outside the urban core of DC. Is the Atlanta development inside or outside the urban core?

Old 05-16-2021, 12:46 AM

Quote:
So, I think the first thing we need to do is realize that the development zones for black neighborhoods under discussion are in different areas in relation to their downtowns for each respective city. Ward 7 and Ward 8 development being discussed here is outside the urban core of DC. Is the Atlanta development inside or outside the urban core?
DC and Atlanta are built just too differently but yes all accept one of these areas are outside of the urban core of Atlanta. They are adjacent to downtown. The exception would be Centennial Yards but why does that matter?

Old 05-16-2021, 01:28 AM

Quote:
DC and Atlanta are built just too differently but yes all accept one of these areas are outside of the urban core of Atlanta. They are adjacent to downtown. The exception would be Centennial Yards but why does that matter?
So just to be clear, the areas right next to downtown Atlanta are outside the urban core?

Old 05-16-2021, 01:55 AM

Quote:
So just to be clear, the areas right next to downtown Atlanta are outside the urban core?
Yes. If when you say urban core you mean downtown or central city then yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City