Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2021, 03:30 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times

Advertisements

Here is a rendering of the new GSU baseball Field that will honor Hank AAron

The retail,hotels and housing surrounding this will make an instant new vibrant area that within a short time will be as vibrant as Midtown. Most will be built within the next 5 years as some is under construction as we speak. Its so new ,most in Atlanta dont even know this area but i go often and every time I do the crowds are bigger and bigger.

When the Braves left nearby Turner Field I like many thought it was a death sentence for a dead area but GSU bring their university village concept there has already brought a depth of restaurants and eateries. Its amazing to watch how its stitching three relative lower density neighborhoods together in one cohesive more urban dense fashion

Last edited by CleverOne; 05-16-2021 at 03:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 09:53 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Yes. If when you say urban core you mean downtown or central city then yes
So if that is the case, Atlanta’s urban core is very small compared to DC. Just so you know, I asked that question because a lot of the developments you have spoken about are in downtown Atlanta adjacent neighborhoods which, if compared to similar neighborhoods in DC, would open this discussion up to levels of development no city in America can compete with right now except Seattle and a few others. DC proper has the most cranes in the sky in the entire nation right now and the city is only 61.1 sq. miles.

Now, in reference to this thread topic, the DC neighborhoods I am talking about are black neighborhoods in Ward 7 and Ward 8 way on the outskirts of the city east of the river far from downtown DC and outside the urban core, yet they still have more development happening than downtown Atlanta adjacent neighborhoods.

So, to bring this back to the topic at hand, the level of development in DC is on a different level than Atlanta on a citywide perspective and a black neighborhood perspective and that would be true for almost every city in America right now. The beginning of this thread asked which city had more black urban neighborhoods. Many people wrote off the Ward 7 and Ward 8 neighborhoods because of the lack of amenities. That is why I have spoken about the development in those wards in this thread. This decade will open up new urban neighborhood options in DC east of the river in traditionally black neighborhoods giving young black professionals even more urban neighborhood options than they already have in a city like DC.

Old 05-16-2021, 02:23 PM

32 posts, read 19,381 times
I live in the D.C area and I would go with Atlanta. The D.C area is simply too expensive and Atlanta would be a much better city for recently graduated, young African Americans looking to start off.

Old 05-16-2021, 02:40 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So if that is the case, Atlanta’s urban core is very small compared to DC. Just so you know, I asked that question because a lot of the developments you have spoken about are in downtown Atlanta adjacent neighborhoods which, if compared to similar neighborhoods in DC, would open this discussion up to levels of development no city in America can compete with right now except Seattle and a few others. DC proper has the most cranes in the sky in the entire nation right now and the city is only 61.1 sq. miles.

Now, in reference to this thread topic, the DC neighborhoods I am talking about are black neighborhoods in Ward 7 and Ward 8 way on the outskirts of the city east of the river far from downtown DC and outside the urban core, yet they still have more development happening than downtown Atlanta adjacent neighborhoods.

So, to bring this back to the topic at hand, the level of development in DC is on a different level than Atlanta on a citywide perspective and a black neighborhood perspective and that would be true for almost every city in America right now. The beginning of this thread asked which city had more black urban neighborhoods. Many people wrote off the Ward 7 and Ward 8 neighborhoods because of the lack of amenities. That is why I have spoken about the development in those wards in this thread. This decade will open up new urban neighborhood options in DC east of the river in traditionally black neighborhoods giving young black professionals even more urban neighborhood options than they already have in a city like DC.

Huh?? Of course DC is more dense and urban than Atlanta. Is that worth debating?In fact we established that as a based fact the first few pages of this thread.

I got your point about open ward7/8 which is why I was talking only about black neighborhoods in Atlanta and I mentioned those as Atlanta too was developing in similar ways.
My statement was in reference to which city had the most development in its black areas. I didnt say you were wrong I just asked how are you right?

Old 05-16-2021, 02:59 PM

1,374 posts, read 926,328 times
Quote:
Here is a rendering of the new GSU baseball Field that will honor Hank AAron

The retail,hotels and housing surrounding this will make an instant new vibrant area that within a short time will be as vibrant as Midtown. Most will be built within the next 5 years as some is under construction as we speak. Its so new ,most in Atlanta dont even know this area but i go often and every time I do the crowds are bigger and bigger.

When the Braves left nearby Turner Field I like many thought it was a death sentence for a dead area but GSU bring their university village concept there has already brought a depth of restaurants and eateries. Its amazing to watch how its stitching three relative lower density neighborhoods together in one cohesive more urban dense fashion
Yes, it's called Summerhill and here is a flythrough of how it will look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvQ1-CfcpcU

Old 05-16-2021, 03:23 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So just to be clear, the areas right next to downtown Atlanta are outside the urban core?
Quote:
Yes. If when you say urban core you mean downtown or central city then yes
Not that it really matters in the context of this discussion, but at the very least, everything within the Beltline is included in Atlanta's urban core.

Old 05-16-2021, 03:25 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
DC is doing its thing, but compared to the level of development going a lot of southern and Western cities, it wouldn't standout. Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami..etc are all building like crazy.

Old 05-16-2021, 03:35 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
DC is doing its thing, but compared to the level of development going a lot of southern and Western cities, it wouldn't standout. Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami..etc are all building like crazy.
This is ridiculously asinine man. You're basically saying that DC's level of development is comparable to that of Memphis, Jacksonville, or Norfolk, cities that certainly have good things going on but actually aren't standing out in terms of a development in the Southeast. The new transit lines, the Purple and Silver extension lines, and HQ2 by themselves make DC stand out.

Old 05-16-2021, 03:49 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is ridiculously asinine man. You're basically saying that DC's level of development is comparable to that of Memphis, Jacksonville, or Norfolk, cities that certainly have good things going on but actually aren't standing out in terms of a development in the Southeast. The new transit lines, the Purple and Silver extension lines, and HQ2 by themselves make DC stand out.
You saw the list of cities that I named; each being metros of 6 million or better. How did your mind jump straight to mid-sized cities? Since you did, however, if you're naming companies then DC would have to compete with a city like Austin. You're making a argument where there is none to be made. I didn't "basically" say anything.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:02 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
As far as I've seen, DC is the standard for high levels of new development in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City