Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2021, 06:31 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
As far as I've seen, DC is the standard for high levels of new development in the US.
I thought the same as well until I saw the level of development in other cities first hand. Many of the cities that I'm referring to have TONS of space to accommodate all the the new development taking place. I'm not taking anything away from DC, but places like Atlanta, DFW, Houston, Phoenix are growing faster, so they must be building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 07:29 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I thought the same as well until I saw the level of development in other cities first hand. Many of the cities that I'm referring to have TONS of space to accommodate all the the new development taking place. I'm not taking anything away from DC, but places like Atlanta, DFW, Houston, Phoenix are growing faster, so they must be building.
I’ve been to Atlanta recently and I haven’t been to Dallas, Houston etc in a long time.

But the good thing about DC developments are they have great pedestrian level experiences & have pretty good retailers, entertainment, etc. and it’s consistent. Not just a project here or there.

I’ve noticed in some of the very fast growing cities in the southeast struggle in the ground level experience and can end up with a CVS & Starbucks. There are projects that are great, but it doesn’t seem consistent.

That’s my perception, so I’d be interested to hear others thoughts and not get bombarded with “oh, you hate city xyz”.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:58 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
The major difference between DC development and southern cities is the concentration of development. For example, Midtown Atlanta is absolutely exploding with development, but compared to a city like DC which has Navy Yard, NOMA, Buzzard Point, Northwest One, and the Wharf, etc. exploding with development, Midtown Atlanta is just one neighborhood. I think the concentration of urban development in different neighborhoods is why DC is considered the standard. The vibrancy of those neighborhoods also makes this an apples and oranges comparison.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:16 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
DC is doing its thing, but compared to the level of development going a lot of southern and Western cities, it wouldn't standout. Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami..etc are all building like crazy.
DC has more cranes in the sky than all cities in North America except Toronto. So this wouldn’t be correct. I’m in LA right now and was in Miami a month ago, based on current construction in the city proper neither are building more than DC which is already the more “urban” city of those.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:20 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubism40 View Post
I live in the D.C area and I would go with Atlanta. The D.C area is simply too expensive and Atlanta would be a much better city for recently graduated, young African Americans looking to start off.
Probably but DC is twice the urban city Atlanta is, so for the purpose of the OP in this thread, Atlanta leaves more to be desired from an urbanity standpoint than DC which is only densifying more.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:37 PM

MDallstar & Resident while I absolutely agree that DC is on fire, and has been that way over a decade, Atlanta is one of those cities that can talk that "development" talk too. Both cities should be proud of what they have going on.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DC has more cranes in the sky than all cities in North America except Toronto. So this wouldn’t be correct. I’m in LA right now and was in Miami a month ago, based on current construction in the city proper neither are building more than DC which is already the more “urban” city of those.
I'm high-key hating in you for being in LA. I spent a week out there last month.... I love it out there. LA was number 1 in the country as far as cranes, but DC over took it during the pandemic. LA is right behind DC. Think about this, though: LA is a massive city, so it could be building at the rate DC is, but it won't look like anything has changed.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:10 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
MDallstar & Resident while I absolutely agree that DC is on fire, and has been that way over a decade, Atlanta is one of those cities that can talk that "development" talk too. Both cities should be proud of what they have going on.
I understood your point and didnt take t as you were saying DC has less but rather because of the less dense nature of these cities,the scale of the projects are bigger. DC with all its huge amouunt of buiding is not "infilling" like Atlanta,Dallas,etc. Their wont be anything in the city of DC the scope of something like a Kylde Warren Park,Beltline or Centennial Yards. DC has more than 150 years of development ahead of Atlanta and long ago came into its own and is essentially reinventing itself whereas cities like Atlanta are inventing ans establishing themselves at the beginning of where its will be a legacy city withing 25 years I think.Just my opinion based on what I see happening.

Then cities like Charlotte,Nashville etc are just in growth mode

Old 05-17-2021, 03:00 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The major difference between DC development and southern cities is the concentration of development. For example, Midtown Atlanta is absolutely exploding with development, but compared to a city like DC which has Navy Yard, NOMA, Buzzard Point, Northwest One, and the Wharf, etc. exploding with development, Midtown Atlanta is just one neighborhood. I think the concentration of urban development in different neighborhoods is why DC is considered the standard. The vibrancy of those neighborhoods also makes this an apples and oranges comparison.
Midtown Atlanta is not the only neighborhood in Atlanta. Problem is as the city becomes more popular old names once forgotten are unfortunate being renamed in some cases causing some confussion,so Midtown depending on who you talking to can be anythng from Atlantic Station to West Midtown or Upper West Midtown to Howell Mill Corridor

You got Atlantic Station still expanding with more apartments ,retail, hotels,resturants and commercial office buidings.

Poncey Highland is the area that includes Ponce City Market
Quote:
Last year, Ponce City Market owner Jamestown announced a 500,000-square-foot expansion of the property with the addition of a 400-unit tower and 100,000-square-foot building featuring office, retail, and new restaurant stalls in the food hall, which could also include a location of billion-dollar salad chain Sweetgreen.
Upper Westside

Quote:
The project, dubbed “Bolton Town Center" to recognize the neighborhood where it is located, is one piece of an anticipated $600 million investment by Cannon Equities and AB Capital LLC and their stakeholders in three immense mixed-use developments off Chattahoochee Avenue and Marietta Boulevard. There is the $200 million project known as “The Quarter” along Bolton Drive already underway by Cannon Equities and its developers. The nearly 5-acre Marietta Boulevard mixed-use project announced last year by Cannon Equities and AB Capital could break ground early next year.
Underwood Hills
The Works @Chattahoochie A food Hall,with retail and apartments on the banks of Chattahoochie River

Quote:
The Works will eventually include 500 units, 500,000 square feet of office space, 350,000 square feet of retail and entertainment, and 200 hotel rooms.

There are many neighborhoods in Atlanta that are seeing large scale projects. I didnt even mention any of those in Buckhead

Old 05-17-2021, 06:45 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
You saw the list of cities that I named; each being metros of 6 million or better. How did your mind jump straight to mid-sized cities? Since you did, however, if you're naming companies then DC would have to compete with a city like Austin. You're making a argument where there is none to be made. I didn't "basically" say anything.
You're right that you didn't "basically" say anything; you actually said it. I jumped "straight to mid-sized cities" because, as I made clear, those are cities that don't really stand out in terms of the level of development occurring there; ergo, those are the cities you are putting on the same tier as DC when it comes to that.

And I'm not "naming companies" since that's not what you were talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City