Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2021, 07:38 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DC has more cranes in the sky than all cities in North America except Toronto. So this wouldn’t be correct. I’m in LA right now and was in Miami a month ago, based on current construction in the city proper neither are building more than DC which is already the more “urban” city of those.
I’m in Miami right now staying at an Airbnb at the ICON in Brickell. I’ve been here since Friday for a friend’s birthday. The construction in Miami doesn’t come close to DC right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'm high-key hating in you for being in LA. I spent a week out there last month.... I love it out there. LA was number 1 in the country as far as cranes, but DC over took it during the pandemic. LA is right behind DC. Think about this, though: LA is a massive city, so it could be building at the rate DC is, but it won't look like anything has changed.
The crane counts are for city proper. That means DC has more cranes in the 61.1 sq. mile city proper limits than LA city proper limits which is 468.97 sq. mile. If they counted 468.97 sq. miles in DC bringing in Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, Silver Spring, New Carrolton, Falls Church, etc., etc., etc., the count would probably double for DC.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:42 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I’m in Miami right now staying at an Airbnb at the ICON in Brickell. I’ve been here since Friday for a friend’s birthday. The construction in Miami doesn’t come close to DC right now.
On neighborhood by neighborhood basis, DC has more going on across the board. Miami is moving though, that construction on the I-95/395 interchange right before the bridge is a nuisance right about now.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Midtown Atlanta is not the only neighborhood in Atlanta. Problem is as the city becomes more popular old names once forgotten are unfortunate being renamed in some cases causing some confussion,so Midtown depending on who you talking to can be anythng from Atlantic Station to West Midtown or Upper West Midtown to Howell Mill Corridor

You got Atlantic Station still expanding with more apartments ,retail, hotels,resturants and commercial office buidings.

Poncey Highland is the area that includes Ponce City Market

Upper Westside

Underwood Hills
The Works @Chattahoochie A food Hall,with retail and apartments on the banks of Chattahoochie River

There are many neighborhoods in Atlanta that are seeing large scale projects. I didnt even mention any of those in Buckhead
I said Midtown because it’s the size of our Capital Riverfront (Navy Yard) neighborhood by square miles. The other neighborhoods don’t come close to the level of urban development in Midtown so I didn’t reference them. I’m aware of them though. You wouldn’t be able to compare those neighborhoods to urban neighborhoods in DC.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:20 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Unless you're in the business of traveling to cities specifically to quantify all the development under construction there, you really can't say that with any certainty. That's why statistics exist.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if DC is indeed ahead of Miami when it comes to new construction but I would absolutely expect Miami to be giving DC a run for its money as well.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:24 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
The crane counts are for city proper. That means DC has more cranes in the 61.1 sq. mile city proper limits than LA city proper limits which is 468.97 sq. mile. If they counted 468.97 sq. miles in DC bringing in Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, Silver Spring, New Carrolton, Falls Church, etc., etc., etc., the count would probably double for DC.
I get it. When I was in LA, I saw cranes, but the city is so expansive that I only saw a small percentage of the city. I there there for a whole week and I saw, maybe, 20% of the city proper.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:40 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I’ve been to Atlanta recently and I haven’t been to Dallas, Houston etc in a long time.

But the good thing about DC developments are they have great pedestrian level experiences & have pretty good retailers, entertainment, etc. and it’s consistent. Not just a project here or there.

I’ve noticed in some of the very fast growing cities in the southeast struggle in the ground level experience and can end up with a CVS & Starbucks. There are projects that are great, but it doesn’t seem consistent.

That’s my perception, so I’d be interested to hear others thoughts and not get bombarded with “oh, you hate city xyz”.
That's because DC was already a big city in the pre-automobile area so its classical urban form sets the standard for new development. That's much less true for the vast majority of Southeastern cities, most of which began growing rapidly in the postwar era with the advent of AC and widespread car ownership, whose urban form largely prioritizes cars over pedestrians.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I understood your point and didnt take t as you were saying DC has less but rather because of the less dense nature of these cities,the scale of the projects are bigger. DC with all its huge amouunt of buiding is not "infilling" like Atlanta,Dallas,etc. Their wont be anything in the city of DC the scope of something like a Kylde Warren Park,Beltline or Centennial Yards. DC has more than 150 years of development ahead of Atlanta and long ago came into its own and is essentially reinventing itself whereas cities like Atlanta are inventing ans establishing themselves at the beginning of where its will be a legacy city withing 25 years I think.Just my opinion based on what I see happening.

Then cities like Charlotte,Nashville etc are just in growth mode
I tried to stick mostly with Atlanta and how it compares to DC. Of the cities that I've visited within the last year, they all compare to DC as far as development, and they all exceed the DC area as far as population in population growth. I was in Dallas in March, I saw plenty of new neighborhoods, apartments, retail..etc. I go to Atlanta usually twice a year, and Atlanta ALWAYS has new construction going up. I'm more so impressed that DC is keeping up with those cities than the other way around.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Unless you're in the business of traveling to cities specifically to quantify all the development under construction there, you really can't say that with any certainty. That's why statistics exist.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if DC is indeed ahead of Miami when it comes to new construction but I would absolutely expect Miami to be giving DC a run for its money as well.
The amount cranes is being confused with the amount of new construction going on.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Miami is only 35.996 sq. miles. Almost all of the development is exclusively along the shore and a lot of it is not even in Miami city limits. The city is very flat and majority 1-2 story houses so any urban development and cranes can be seen for miles around. The highway and subway line are elevated making it even easier to see cranes and development.

I love the city of Miami Beach, but Miami city proper doesn’t have the vibrancy of the City of Miami Beach. Even with all the development along the shore, it hasn’t translated to people walking around throughout the day. Midtown Atlanta suffers from the same fate. I think it’s the popularity of the car in southeastern cities. People are going to drive even in walkable urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City