Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2021, 02:28 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I tried to stick mostly with Atlanta and how it compares to DC. Of the cities that I've visited within the last year, they all compare to DC as far as development, and they all exceed the DC area as far as population in population growth. I was in Dallas in March, I saw plenty of new neighborhoods, apartments, retail..etc. I go to Atlanta usually twice a year, and Atlanta ALWAYS has new construction going up. I'm more so impressed that DC is keeping up with those cities than the other way around.
This is a conversation about black urban neighborhoods in Atlanta and DC. What black neighborhoods are you talking about in Atlanta? I was just there the weekend of May 1st so if we are qualifying neighborhoods that would be considered urban, which ones are you referring to and what was happening in them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 02:57 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is a conversation about black urban neighborhoods in Atlanta and DC. What black neighborhoods are you talking about in Atlanta? I was just there the weekend of May 1st so if we are qualifying neighborhoods that would be considered urban, which ones are you referring to and what was happening in them?
If all of the cranes in DC aren't in black neighborhoods, then this isn't a conversation that is just about black neighborhoods. So, I'm gonna ask you, are all of the cranes that you mentioned only in black neighborhoods? If not then only speak about the cranes in black neighborhoods.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
If all of the cranes in DC aren't in black neighborhoods, then this isn't a conversation that is just about black neighborhoods. So, I'm gonna ask you, are all of the cranes that you mentioned only in black neighborhoods? If not then only speak about the cranes in black neighborhoods.
My point is we aren’t just talking about a building getting built in a random suburban neighborhood in Dallas or Atlanta, we are talking about urban neighborhoods. This isn’t about development, it’s about urban neighborhoods that are experiencing development. That’s why I asked you which neighborhoods you’re talking about. Are they urban? If they are, they qualify. The neighborhoods in DC are all urban under discussion, but for cities like Atlanta and Dallas which aren’t really urban to begin with, we need to know what neighborhoods you’re talking about.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:09 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
The crane counts are for city proper. That means DC has more cranes in the 61.1 sq. mile city proper limits than LA city proper limits which is 468.97 sq. mile. If they counted 468.97 sq. miles in DC bringing in Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, Silver Spring, New Carrolton, Falls Church, etc., etc., etc., the count would probably double for DC.
I dont think cranes counts give you and accurate picture of whats going on in each city. Dont get me wrong its an indicator that there is development but a denser city with smaller boundaries will be building more vertical anyway. I would think just looking up construction starts would be more exact.

According to this graph broken down by top 10 cities and construction starts by type, DC nor LA are number one. Dallas is .

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samanth...h=735ae0c31091

Old 05-17-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I dont think cranes counts give you and accurate picture of whats going on in each city. Dont get me wrong its an indicator that there is development but a denser city with smaller boundaries will be building more vertical anyway. I would think just looking up construction starts would be more exact.

According to this graph broken down by top 10 cities and construction starts by type, DC nor LA are number one. Dallas is .

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samanth...h=735ae0c31091
That is a metropolitan ranking, not city proper.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Miami is only 35.996 sq. miles. Almost all of the development is exclusively along the shore and a lot of it is not even in Miami city limits. The city is very flat and majority 1-2 story houses so any urban development and cranes can be seen for miles around. The highway and subway line are elevated making it even easier to see cranes and development.

I love the city of Miami Beach, but Miami city proper doesn’t have the vibrancy of the City of Miami Beach. Even with all the development along the shore, it hasn’t translated to people walking around throughout the day. Midtown Atlanta suffers from the same fate. I think it’s the popularity of the car in southeastern cities. People are going to drive even in walkable urban areas.
Midtown Atlanta is very vibrant so I dont understand this statement at all.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Midtown Atlanta is very vibrant so I dont understand this statement at all.
Not compared to urban neighborhoods in NYC, DC, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, or San Francisco. I was making the point that you would think with all the development that Midtown would become as vibrant as urban bustling neighborhoods in those cities, but there have yet to be any successful examples. Look at Miami for instance. The city is more dense than DC, Chicago, and Philadelphia but doesn’t come close to the pedestrian traffic in those cities. It’s the nature of the south I guess.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
We established Atlanta is no where near as urban as DC but using DC as the only measure of urbanity is doing what urbanity Atlanta does have a disservice. The Westend/AUC is very urban . Downtown is urban.. Sweet Auburn District

Old 05-17-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Not compared to urban neighborhoods in NYC, DC, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, or San Francisco. I was making the point that you would think with all the development that Midtown would become as vibrant as urban bustling neighborhoods in those cities, but there have yet to be any successful examples. Look at Miami for instance. The city is more dense than DC, Chicago, and Philadelphia but doesn’t come close to the pedestrian traffic in those cities. It’s the nature of the south I guess.
I was invited to a cookout at a friends high rise apartment located on Peachtree and 6h area. I dodnt go as I live in the suburbs and with the gas situation,didnt want to risk it.
It was a small gathering of about 7 friends. I was the only one that didnt show up as everyone live in the city.
No one drove as I know where they all live.One of my friends lives in the Plaza where Publix is located beneth it. Another friend lives the furthest near Oakland City MArta so he road MARTA there, Everyone else walked because parking is a b**) it that area.
So while no one is gonna mistake Atlanta for those legacy cities, Midtown is still vibrant even if its not as consistent as those cities. You see pedestrian activity

Old 05-17-2021, 05:37 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
While maybe not as vibrant as NE cities, I actually do find Midtown (and Downtown during the day) to be a decently vibrant neighborhood with people walking around. The issue with Atlanta is the connections between neighborhoods being low dense. It's hard to walk from hood to hood and development isn't consistent across the cityscape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City