Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 01:30 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Atlanta is the worst of all these cities though. At least in the example you gave.
Midtown is the least Black part of the Atlanta urban core though, at least in terms of residents; however I think there are more than enough Black people working and hanging out in Midtown to make up for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 01:33 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,742,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This may come down to who you are counting, but even then, TX would likely be #1 and just became so recently: https://blackdemographics.com/popula...te-population/

Also, this thread may have some more suggestions as well: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...orhood-13.html
Nvm, we're 4th in population and 5th in percentage.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8957...7i16384!8i8192

Georgia has a higher percentage of African Americans than every state that has a higher raw number of African Americans.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:36 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Atlanta is the worst of all these cities though. At least in the example you gave.
Blacks are 16.4% of degree holders in Midtown West. That's almost identical to the percentage for 20001 (Howard University surrounding area - 16.9%).

I could have used the West End (Atlanta University Center) but at that time I was only focused on very high density (relatively speaking) neighborhoods.

The point is that you're not going to find many (any) neighborhoods in either city that are (a) very urban and walkable and (b) populated with lots of young Black professionals. For the most, you have to choose one or the other.

The Ft. Greene-Crown Heights-Bed Stuy axis is by far the richest concentration of Black professionals I've been able to identify in an urban setting. Of course, you can find neighborhoods in Queens or Northwest DC that have higher overall educational attainment among African Americans, but those aren't neighborhoods being sought out by the 20-something crowd.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Midtown is the least Black part of the Atlanta urban core though, at least in terms of residents; however I think there are more than enough Black people working and hanging out in Midtown to make up for that.
I always see a ton of black people walking around Midtown but I don't think many of us live there. If I go back to Atlanta I'll probably look to stay in Castleberry Hill, West End, or an eastside neighborhood near transit. I'm just not sure if these neighborhoods are better than the DC equivalents.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:44 PM

Seems like I have a tough decision to make. I love Atlanta but at the same time I want to see something new and different and DC seems like a good place to experience that especially with the black community there. I have a ton of time to research and hopefully, I can get an internship in DC next year to test the experience. Can anyone give me detail about the area around Columbia Heights? That's near Howard U and looks like a dope neighborhood but I'm not finding reasonable rents there (at least from my Atlanta mindset, I know DC jobs pay more).

Old 05-13-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I always see a ton of black people walking around Midtown but I don't think many of us live there. If I go back to Atlanta I'll probably look to stay in Castleberry Hill, West End, or an eastside neighborhood near transit. I'm just not sure if these neighborhoods are better than the DC equivalents.
If your thing is being around young Black professionals in a walkable neighborhood, then I'd suggest living near Howard University. Howard is not going anywhere so there will always be a large concentration of Black graduate and professional students and professors in the neighborhood. The same is true of the West End but with far fewer graduate students and a less urban living experience overall.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:46 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Blacks are 16.4% of degree holders in Midtown West. That's almost identical to the percentage for 20001 (Howard University surrounding area - 16.9%).

I could have used the West End (Atlanta University Center) but at that time I was only focused on very high density (relatively speaking) neighborhoods.

The point is that you're not going to find many (any) neighborhoods in either city that are (a) very urban and walkable and (b) populated with lots of young Black professionals. For the most, you have to choose one or the other.

The Ft. Greene-Crown Heights-Bed Stuy axis is by far the richest concentration of Black professionals I've been able to identify in an urban setting. Of course, you can find neighborhoods in Queens or Northwest DC that have higher overall educational attainment among African Americans, but those aren't neighborhoods being sought out by the 20-something crowd.
What site are you using for these stats I want to check it out.

I see the percentage but is seems there are larger raw numbers of professional black folks in Chicago DC and NYC and they’re probably just as urban if not more traditionally urban.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:58 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you are Black in Midtown, or in most parts of Metro Atlanta really, you will be totally fine.

(As Brother Mute outlined on another thread. ).

Old 05-13-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
What site are you using for these stats I want to check it out.

I see the percentage but is seems there are larger raw numbers of professional black folks in Chicago DC and NYC and they’re probably just as urban if not more traditionally urban.
The data came from American Fact Finder.

There are large numbers of Black professionals within the city limits of many cities. The issue is where those people live within those cities. They tend to not be concentrated in high-density, walkable neighborhoods because high-density, walkable, transit-rich neighborhoods are in high demand, which means they are expensive, and there are only so many Black people earning enough in any given city to live in the most in demand neighborhoods.

New York is an exception because the 90+ Walkscore neighborhood is not such a rarity. NYC has 62 neighborhoods with a Walkscore of 95 or higher. DC has 7. Chicago has 4. Atlanta has 1. I'm pretty sure NYC has more 95+ Walkscore neighborhoods than all other cities in the U.S. combined though I've never looked it up to confirm. Since it's impossible to literally gentrify all of NYC, there will always be relatively affordable neighborhoods with Walkscores in the 90s.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:05 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Washington D.C. Urban Core

Ward 1 = 19,908 black people (Black Household Average Income = $67,456)

Ward 2 = 12,602 black people (Black Household Average Income = $70,551)

Ward 4 = 40,769 black people (Black Household Average Income = $88,064)

Ward 6 = 41,052 black people (Black Household Average Income = $71,899)

Total = 114,331 black people

Source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City