Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2021, 05:42 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That is a metropolitan ranking, not city proper.
All the cities with the smallest boundaries will have denser compact cores . As I said before,you have to build up, A city like LA or Atlanta has a lot more single family housing which does not make it not urban,but less dense.You still can have people out walking about of its mixed in with retail and such
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 06:02 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
My point is we aren’t just talking about a building getting built in a random suburban neighborhood in Dallas or Atlanta, we are talking about urban neighborhoods. This isn’t about development, it’s about urban neighborhoods that are experiencing development. That’s why I asked you which neighborhoods you’re talking about. Are they urban? If they are, they qualify. The neighborhoods in DC are all urban under discussion, but for cities like Atlanta and Dallas which aren’t really urban to begin with, we need to know what neighborhoods you’re talking about.
Atlanta isn't just building in suburban neighborhoods. If those suburban neighborhoods are to become more urban, then they would have to build, right? SE DC has/had a lot of garden style apartments, which is suburban by nature, yet you won't omit those areas of DC if they are/were to density would you?

Old 05-17-2021, 06:05 PM

Question for both Atlanta and DC: the black areas of either that have projects going up, are they being filled with black residents, or are they turning into yuppie areas?

Old 05-17-2021, 06:30 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Question for both Atlanta and DC: the black areas of either that have projects going up, are they being filled with black residents, or are they turning into yuppie areas?
For DC, yuppy.

Per my last visit, the Black parts of DC had yuppy fishtanks for sure.

Atlanta? All the new construction areas seemed like a mix, lean-to white maybe at a ratio of 2:1.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:20 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
For DC, yuppy.

Per my last visit, the Black parts of DC had yuppy fishtanks for sure.

Atlanta? All the new construction areas seemed like a mix, lean-to white maybe at a ratio of 2:1.
Huh? You were in the black parts of DC? Where? Everything east of the Anacostia River in Ward 7, Ward 8, and Prince George’s county is almost completely black. That’s true for new construction, renovations, etc. That’s where black people live in the DMV. What black neighborhoods were you in?

Old 05-17-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Mutiny and I discussed this already. In DC, they are black and located around metro stations in Prince George’s county. The first class A buildings are rising now in Ward 7 and Ward 8 inside DC proper which are the only areas left in DC that are over 90% black. They are also around metro stations so we will know soon. With the Anacostia River separating this part of the region from the rest of DC, Montgomery County, Arlington, Alexandria, and Fairfax county, I think it’s a safe bet to say black people will continue to concentrate on the east side of the river while everyone else stays on the west side of the river.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Atlanta isn't just building in suburban neighborhoods. If those suburban neighborhoods are to become more urban, then they would have to build, right? SE DC has/had a lot of garden style apartments, which is suburban by nature, yet you won't omit those areas of DC if they are/were to density would you?
The black neighborhoods I am referencing are Anacostia, Congress Heights/St. Elizabeth, Parkside, and Northeast Heights/Benning which each have metro stations and are still over 90% black. There are similar neighborhoods in Atlanta to these, but which ones? What neighborhoods would you say compare to those in Atlanta? What percentage of the neighborhoods are still black?

Old 05-17-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I was invited to a cookout at a friends high rise apartment located on Peachtree and 6h area. I dodnt go as I live in the suburbs and with the gas situation,didnt want to risk it.
It was a small gathering of about 7 friends. I was the only one that didnt show up as everyone live in the city.
No one drove as I know where they all live.One of my friends lives in the Plaza where Publix is located beneth it. Another friend lives the furthest near Oakland City MArta so he road MARTA there, Everyone else walked because parking is a b**) it that area.
So while no one is gonna mistake Atlanta for those legacy cities, Midtown is still vibrant even if its not as consistent as those cities. You see pedestrian activity
I agree and I didn’t say Midtown doesn’t have pedestrian activity. I just said it should have more with so many 25-50 story buildings. I was making a comparison to similar neighborhoods in the legacy cities wondering why the sunbelt cities don’t have the same levels of pedestrian traffic. I was thinking maybe it’s cultural?

Old 05-17-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
The black neighborhoods I am referencing are Anacostia, Congress Heights/St. Elizabeth, Parkside, and Northeast Heights/Benning which each have metro stations and are still over 90% black. There are similar neighborhoods in Atlanta to these, but which ones? What neighborhoods would you say compare to those in Atlanta? What percentage of the neighborhoods are still black?
You'd have to ask someone from Atlanta.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Mutiny and I discussed this already. In DC, they are black and located around metro stations in Prince George’s county. The first class A buildings are rising now in Ward 7 and Ward 8 inside DC proper which are the only areas left in DC that are over 90% black. They are also around metro stations so we will know soon. With the Anacostia River separating this part of the region from the rest of DC, Montgomery County, Arlington, Alexandria, and Fairfax county, I think it’s a safe bet to say black people will continue to concentrate on the east side of the river while everyone else stays on the west side of the river.
I hope that area stays black. Black Washingtonians are being pushed out to the suburbs away from the amenities of the City. It's a gift and a curse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City