Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2021, 10:23 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I hope that area stays black. Black Washingtonians are being pushed out to the suburbs away from the amenities of the City. It's a gift and a curse.
This is true and the coming years will be a great case study to see if the river protects black neighborhoods in Ward 7 and Ward 8 as the amenities arrive over the coming years. There is so much development happening that the changes will be drastic. The river will not be able to protect neighborhoods east of the river completely, but I do think it provides some form of protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 12:59 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
All the cities with the smallest boundaries will have denser compact cores . As I said before,you have to build up, A city like LA or Atlanta has a lot more single family housing which does not make it not urban,but less dense.You still can have people out walking about of its mixed in with retail and such
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Huh? You were in the black parts of DC? Where? Everything east of the Anacostia River in Ward 7, Ward 8, and Prince George’s county is almost completely black. That’s true for new construction, renovations, etc. That’s where black people live in the DMV. What black neighborhoods were you in?
You keep saying this and Im not saying I know better as I dont but i posted several articles a few poast back addressing this and you have said nothing about . They were basically contradicting to your assertions that its mostly new black urban professionals moving in based on what you say your friends are doing and not data.

Now in Atlanta in English Ave its like mix from what I saw recently, but in areas like the Westend its more of the regular old displacement gentrification

Old 05-18-2021, 01:40 AM

Quote:
I agree and I didn’t say Midtown doesn’t have pedestrian activity. I just said it should have more with so many 25-50 story buildings. I was making a comparison to similar neighborhoods in the legacy cities wondering why the sunbelt cities don’t have the same levels of pedestrian traffic. I was thinking maybe it’s cultural?
Its density. Even in Midtown there are too many pockets of dead space where in a legacy city they have been building and growing for 300 years or more. Midtown Atlanta is easily the most vibrant area of any Southern city outside of Miami Beach. You dont need legacy city density to have a vibrant urban landscape. You can see restaurants and bars packed. People are driving to get there. Also the Beltline is parked wit people .You can see it in the difference between the Westside Beltline which has far less development and the Eastside which has attractions like Piedmont Park,breweries,hotels,food halls,etc right next to the neighborhoods where people live like Inman Park. Not a day goes by do i not see that area bustling with pedestrians. There is a blend of apartments and mostly single family housing which goes back to my statement about not needing extreme density to be urban. Take cities like Charleston or Savannah as examples of low density urbanism. Personally i hope Atlanta never gets so dense and overcrowded some of those legacies are

If you wanted to live in a similar part pf a legacy city,you will pay twice as much to get half of what you would get in Atlanta. Some of those boxes they call living dwellings up North cant even be found in Atlanta hardly.Most one bedrooms in Atlanta will at least have a separate living area from the bedroom whereas in legacy cities you will many times have something much older and more compact like a studio. Every bit of space cost money in a city where space is hard to come by and legacy cities have very little of it alas why you have so many cranes in a city with smaller boundaries constrained by natural barriers

Old 05-18-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:
You keep saying this and Im not saying I know better as I dont but i posted several articles a few poast back addressing this and you have said nothing about . They were basically contradicting to your assertions that its mostly new black urban professionals moving in based on what you say your friends are doing and not data.

Now in Atlanta in English Ave its like mix from what I saw recently, but in areas like the Westend its more of the regular old displacement gentrification
The articles you posted didn’t say anything about the color of people moving into Ward 7 and Ward 8. I’m trying to understand what you want me to address. Black people are gentrifiers too and we are driving gentrification east of the river. Check the census data if you don’t believe me. That study tracked income coming into neighborhoods and low income resident displacement. It did not track the race of those gentrifiers.

From the article....

Of those, 954 actually did, showing increases in income, property values and levels of college attainment.

Of D.C.’s 1,346 total neighborhoods, 86 were eligible for gentrification and 14 actually gentrified — a rate of 16.8%. That’s a significant decline from where D.C. was between 2000 and 2012, when 41% of the neighborhoods that were eligible actually ended up gentrifying. For 2013 to 2017, list-leader San Francisco was at 31.3%, New York City stood at 19.3% and places like Chicago and Philadelphia fell below the 10% mark.

“Washington, D.C., still has a high intensity of gentrification … though the pace of gentrification seems to have slackened,” says the report.

This report tracts property values, income, and educational attainment. My house has doubled in value since 2015 so it would be correct. Tons of black professionals are returning to the city. And just an FYI for you, DC has gained thousands of black people since 2010, it is not losing them. The percentage has changed because we are adding people from all races.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-18-2021 at 07:06 AM..

Old 05-18-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Its density. Even in Midtown there are too many pockets of dead space where in a legacy city they have been building and growing for 300 years or more. Midtown Atlanta is easily the most vibrant area of any Southern city outside of Miami Beach. You dont need legacy city density to have a vibrant urban landscape. You can see restaurants and bars packed. People are driving to get there. Also the Beltline is parked wit people .You can see it in the difference between the Westside Beltline which has far less development and the Eastside which has attractions like Piedmont Park,breweries,hotels,food halls,etc right next to the neighborhoods where people live like Inman Park. Not a day goes by do i not see that area bustling with pedestrians. There is a blend of apartments and mostly single family housing which goes back to my statement about not needing extreme density to be urban. Take cities like Charleston or Savannah as examples of low density urbanism. Personally i hope Atlanta never gets so dense and overcrowded some of those legacies are

If you wanted to live in a similar part pf a legacy city,you will pay twice as much to get half of what you would get in Atlanta. Some of those boxes they call living dwellings up North cant even be found in Atlanta hardly.Most one bedrooms in Atlanta will at least have a separate living area from the bedroom whereas in legacy cities you will many times have something much older and more compact like a studio. Every bit of space cost money in a city where space is hard to come by and legacy cities have very little of it alas why you have so many cranes in a city with smaller boundaries constrained by natural barriers
What you just posted here is the biggest difference between people who move to a city like DC versus Atlanta. It’s also the reason DC is developing the way it is versus why Atlanta is developing the way it is respectfully. The ultra high density in DC that you think is undesirable is what attracts people to cities like DC.

On a side note, you also just answered the OP’s question.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:18 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:

Midtown Atlanta is vibrant but did you completely forget about New Orleans? The French Quarter is easily more vibrant than Midtown Atlanta and it's cheaper too. Of course I wouldn't choose New Orleans over Atlanta when it comes to relocation. But FQ and a few other neighborhoods in New Orleans are much more vibrant than any other city in the south and that's including Atlanta.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:36 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Not compared to urban neighborhoods in NYC, DC, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, or San Francisco. I was making the point that you would think with all the development that Midtown would become as vibrant as urban bustling neighborhoods in those cities, but there have yet to be any successful examples.
Man come on. You know this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison whatsoever.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
What you just posted here is the biggest difference between people who move to a city like DC versus Atlanta. It’s also the reason DC is developing the way it is versus why Atlanta is developing the way it is respectfully. The ultra high density in DC that you think is undesirable is what attracts people to cities like DC.

On a side note, you also just answered the OP’s question.
I did not say its undesirable.I said the cost of space based on age,size and yes location will drive up a price which is undesirable to spend when its too high.
DC is not quite like other NE cities as it is dense but isnt as dense as say Boston.Many US cities are growing now as are most cities but there is a certain point where density will cause people to flee as is in NYC,SF as the cost is out of hand

Old 05-18-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Midtown Atlanta is vibrant but did you completely forget about New Orleans? The French Quarter is easily more vibrant than Midtown Atlanta and it's cheaper too. Of course I wouldn't choose New Orleans over Atlanta when it comes to relocation. But FQ and a few other neighborhoods in New Orleans are much more vibrant than any other city in the south and that's including Atlanta.
LOL
Yes I did. I guesf Im thinking along its pier cities. New Orleans is vibrant but its not as cosmopolitan as these larger cities and isnt really in anyway a competitor of any real consequence.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:37 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
I did not say its undesirable.I said the cost of space based on age,size and yes location will drive up a price which is undesirable to spend when its too high.
DC is not quite like other NE cities as it is dense but isnt as dense as say Boston.Many US cities are growing now as are most cities but there is a certain point where density will cause people to flee as is in NYC,SF as the cost is out of hand

I’m totally not one of those people.

I rather pay more money to live in an area I like rather than an area that I can get a cheaper apartment/house.

It may not be as dense as Boston, however Washington is definitely as dense as most NE cities (especially compared to Atlanta)

Density per sq. Mile:
Boston 14.3k
Washington 11.3k
Philadelphia 11.8k
Baltimore 7.3k
Wilmington 6.4K
Trenton 11.1k

Atlanta 3.6k

High cost cities are probably high cost because they are desirable and people are willing to pay more to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City