Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2021, 12:08 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I did not say its undesirable.I said the cost of space based on age,size and yes location will drive up a price which is undesirable to spend when its too high.
DC is not quite like other NE cities as it is dense but isnt as dense as say Boston.Many US cities are growing now as are most cities but there is a certain point where density will cause people to flee as is in NYC,SF as the cost is out of hand
If DC had Atlanta metro's home prices. It would be the fastest growing metro area in the country outside of the Texas cities and Phoenix annually.

No more than 4/5 cities in the nation offer the urban amenities anywhere close to DC's. A lot of people desire a lot of different places, but COL in many cases is the lone hinderance of people living in their most "desired" areas or city. Atlanta offers a lot for it's size, but nothing comparable regarding urban city living to Washington. It's quasi urban by comparison to DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 01:59 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
I did not say its undesirable.I said the cost of space based on age,size and yes location will drive up a price which is undesirable to spend when its too high.
DC is not quite like other NE cities as it is dense but isnt as dense as say Boston.Many US cities are growing now as are most cities but there is a certain point where density will cause people to flee as is in NYC,SF as the cost is out of hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I’m totally not one of those people.

I rather pay more money to live in an area I like rather than an area that I can get a cheaper apartment/house.

It may not be as dense as Boston, however Washington is definitely as dense as most NE cities (especially compared to Atlanta)

Density per sq. Mile:
Boston 14.3k 89 sq mile
Washington 11.3k 68 sq mi
Philadelphia 11.8k 141
Baltimore 7.3k 92.28 mi²
Wilmington 6.4K
Trenton 11.1k

Atlanta 3.6k 139

High cost cities are probably high cost because they are desirable and people are willing to pay more to live there.
So have you been to Trenton?Wilmington?Baltimore?lol Are they to desirable? I cant se why you would eve list those cities as examples.
Atlanta has a larger area and is more than 200 years behind in growing compared gto those cities. Its about the age of cities and location.
Most great cities are on the oceans. Cities like Dallas and Atlanta couldnt exist until of the recently as about 100 years ago.We dont need to be on the oceans for defense,livelihood for food,and to travel by boat.
Now many cities that are on the water are in the Sunbelt

Every metro in the top 20 fastest growing cities are in the South with the exception of 4 cities which are in the West.All are in the Sunbelt
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...eas-in-the-us/

Dense cities are desirable but so are less dense cities. You make statements as if there cant be two different answers.
They are desirable because there is less availability. As I said before there is a reason sunbelt cities are growing faster overall.

The only people quoting density numbers are people on sites like CD. People feel out a city on the ground. Atlanta isnt as dense but its got things like the Beltline that give people who are looking for density what they need.
DC,Boston,Philly etc with all their great amenities will be as they were 300 years ago whereas Atlanta can and is able to use the old with the new to create a new type of more well planned city for the future.
Atlanta and its peers are the cities of the future. Atlanta is closer to Dubai model than the London model but Atlanta more than most sunbelt cities has the just enough of the old with its traditional downtown to blend in with examples like the huge Centennial Yards development to blend in with existing original grid downtown.

“Atlanta’s decision to get rid of [public housing] eventually became a model for other cities. Its use of eminent domain could be next.”

with new ideas like the getting rid of its public housing.crime went down and cities like Chicago,DC.Miami, etc all followed suit. The Beltline which many cities around the country have citied as models for city quality of life improvements, You want to see NYC style pedestrian traffic? You on the Beltline on any day the weather is great. Its the Highline that connects to neighborhoods. Atlanta with this has created something even DC should be envious of despite it having so much more of urban amenities.
Atlanta is doing something right with this Beltline

Quote:
the International Real Estate Federation recognized the Atlanta BeltLine with the International Prix d ‘Excellence as the Best Environmental Rehab Project in the World.
https://wdanielanderson.wordpress.co...-new-5m-grant/

https://planetgeogblog.wordpress.com...anta-beltline/

Old 05-19-2021, 02:36 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
If DC had Atlanta metro's home prices. It would be the fastest growing metro area in the country outside of the Texas cities and Phoenix annually.

No more than 4/5 cities in the nation offer the urban amenities anywhere close to DC's. A lot of people desire a lot of different places, but COL in many cases is the lone hinderance of people living in their most "desired" areas or city. Atlanta offers a lot for it's size, but nothing comparable regarding urban city living to Washington. It's quasi urban by comparison to DC.
Atlanta is not Birningham,Columbia SC,Mobile ,etc. If you want cheap there are a plethora of places you can go. I dont care if you are moving from NYC,DC,Boston,Atlanta isnt cheap but its just cheaper.

People do consider Atlanta as they would DC in the same breath. They are peer cities as far as desirable options of places to live. I would say NYC ,LA,Miami are cities that are si unique that people just go there for what they are known for. DC is not in this category. If anything DC has a reputation for being to straight laced. So while DC is more urban,its not the most attractive urban location despite it being a great metro with the best amenities.
You rarely hear of a person moving from LA to DC or even Atlanta to DC but DC to Atlanta? All the time.
They also move to Charlotte,Richmond and could even move to Philadephia or Baltimore as they do but no where near those who come to Atlanta and other sunbelt cities.
In other words a person from DC wanting to leave has many choices,but Atlantas who move go to certain cities way more often than others. Like LA,NYC,SF, Boston. I know this from data and even people I know

Quote:
Where are people relocating from when moving to Atlanta?
Real estate brokerage Redfin reports that many people moving to Atlanta come from coastal hubs and major cities like San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Washington, D.C.

Miami main reason for it growing is its location but even it is loosing as many people as it gains as it has become to expensive. Its not the density that is the draw,its the location.

Atlanta now is a city all about balance. It checks off just enough for people needing some form of urbanity(not just density),in addition to the COL

Here is some more current growth rates that include DC just behind Atlanta with 100,000 fewer new residents

Old 05-19-2021, 04:17 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Atlanta is not Birningham,Columbia SC,Mobile ,etc. If you want cheap there are a plethora of places you can go. I dont care if you are moving from NYC,DC,Boston,Atlanta isnt cheap but its just cheaper.

People do consider Atlanta as they would DC in the same breath. They are peer cities as far as desirable options of places to live. I would say NYC ,LA,Miami are cities that are si unique that people just go there for what they are known for. DC is not in this category. If anything DC has a reputation for being to straight laced. So while DC is more urban,its not the most attractive urban location despite it being a great metro with the best amenities.
You rarely hear of a person moving from LA to DC or even Atlanta to DC but DC to Atlanta? All the time.
They also move to Charlotte,Richmond and could even move to Philadephia or Baltimore as they do but no where near those who come to Atlanta and other sunbelt cities.
In other words a person from DC wanting to leave has many choices,but Atlantas who move go to certain cities way more often than others. Like LA,NYC,SF, Boston. I know this from data and even people I know

Miami main reason for it growing is its location but even it is loosing as many people as it gains as it has become to expensive. Its not the density that is the draw,its the location.

Atlanta now is a city all about balance. It checks off just enough for people needing some form of urbanity(not just density),in addition to the COL

Here is some more current growth rates that include DC just behind Atlanta with 100,000 fewer new residents

People from cities in the NE move to the suburbs of Atlanta. People are moving there to buy huge houses with yards and space. All of this has nothing to do with urban development. How many people are moving there for an urban lifestyle? It’s usually the opposite.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:40 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:

I like how you continue to use LA, NYC, SF and Boston against DC as opposed to using Atlanta.

So according to your little graph, Washington is the 5th largest growing MSA in the nation (the place you claim no one moves to). Do you care to explain that logic?

Old 05-19-2021, 08:45 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
People from cities in the NE move to the suburbs of Atlanta. People are moving there to buy huge houses with yards and space. All of this has nothing to do with urban development. How many people are moving there for an urban lifestyle? It’s usually the opposite.
I'm not disagreeing with you that a large percentage of people that move to Atlanta from the NE do so with the hope of purchasing a big house with yard and space. That's definitely an appeal to a lot of people from that region. But there is a good amount of single millennials from the NE and all over the country that do move to the urban areas of Atlanta for an urban lifestyle. When I first moved to Atlanta I stayed real close to Midtown and was staying with my cousin till I got my own place. He's originally from Detroit, single with no kids and all he does in any city he moves to is a urban lifestyle. Most people I met in the urban pockets of Atlanta where from other cities. A lot were New Yorkers and people from New Jersey. Mostly single millennials. Saw a plethora of White families from other parts of the country move into those pockets as well and fill it up.

Now is Atlanta anywhere close to DC for an urban experience? Nope, not even close. But Atlanta can offer one an authentic urban experience in it's own right. And it's filling up even more.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Bingo... This thread is about urban living...Not how hot metro Atlanta suburbs are/have been...You rarely hear of urban enthusiasts choosing to leave legacy cities to buy a condo in Midtown Atlanta as their new permanent residence. Maybe as a second home, but as their sole place of living, I know of little examples of this. People move to Atlanta for more space, typically in the suburban or edge city type areas.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:

None of this contradicts my point, if you see where DC ranks in those instances, imagine where it would rank with home prices similar to Atlanta's...This thread is not ranking metro areas btw, it's about urbanity in the cities.

I know more people that have moved from DC MSA to Atlanta MSA than vice versa. This however does not make Atlanta proper the same tier as DC proper in urban living. DC is the 5th or 6 most dense major city in the country, and a walk-able Euro style city. Atlanta may be the best Sunbelt city in the South, I'd take it over Houston/Dallas any day, but it's not the same as DC. The DC metro/urban area is twice as dense as Atlanta's.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:02 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

To be honest, there isn't much that DC offers that Atlanta doesn't. That being said, Atlanta wasn't built to look or function as a northern city. It's a wash for me

Old 05-19-2021, 10:26 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
To be honest, there isn't much that DC offers that Atlanta doesn't. That being said, Atlanta wasn't built to look or function as a northern city. It's a wash for me
What about urban living? Are you saying that because you can go with either urban living or suburban living? I know you mentioned in the past that you live in Baltimore county now so if that’s the case, I respect your decision to like both. Nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City