Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2021, 11:46 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times

Advertisements

You should just start a blog. Not that this thread already isn’t your blog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 11:52 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
LOL YOu didnt have a problem when you responded with your little density metro population numbers followed by Atlanta 6 spaces below the other cities you posted.

I presented two different reports. One was older I posted first then I found the newer one. I have been up front abit everything and presenting facts to back up statements I made.
I even stated all of what you said about DC being 5th when I presented it.

Its been a tone from you and other posters that liking Atlanta density somehow makes me and others unable to see what extreme density is or appreciate it for what it is. As if we settle for what we want.
The main reason Im not in DC is two things:
1) I dont like the cold. Hate it.
2) I just dont think its worth the cost.This is why I keep bring up other cities. If im gonna pay the prices in DC, Id rather be somewhere else. Either way,unless you are ultra wealthy,you will always settle for something. Atlanta has just enough for me and many where its drawbacks arent so bad and even has some more positives that DC doesnt have to where its just a easy no brainier.
Even the OP wouldnt have created this thread if those he too didnt consider how close this decison for many can be
You just reiterated the exact point I made from post #911 that you have since been disputing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
If DC had Atlanta metro's home prices. It would be the fastest growing metro area in the country outside of the Texas cities and Phoenix annually..

Old 05-19-2021, 11:53 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
You should just start a blog. Not that this thread already isn’t your blog.
I have one .would you like me to send you the links?

Old 05-19-2021, 11:55 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Idk, a lot of people from the northeast consider ATL a sleepy suburban town in comparison.
If that's the case a lot of those people are idiots if they think Atlanta is that. Btw, I never heard someone from the Northeast call Atlanta a sleepy suburban town. Step off the high horse.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
You just reiterated the exact point I made from post #911 that you have since been disputing:
I didnt dispute. I said there are multiple reasons than just cost.
I specifically said its NOT WORTH THE COST as in there are other options I would make before choosing DC. I also said the number one reason was the weather. I dont want to be in LA either but I definately dont like snow and long cold winters.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Again they arent choosing Atlanta or DC for urbanity. DC of course will win that if it were but DC just isnt a city say "Oh,I want to move to DC . They move to suburbs the same as they do in Atlanta as they move into both cities. If you want urbanity you arent using a measuring stick on CD!!
Atlanta you have far less options but you have options none the less. Sorry you didnt like it but why did you move to English Ave instead of a suburb years ago? WHo moves to the hood in large growing metropolitan city from a city with more urbanity and growth in its metro?
I never lived on English Ave. I lived in what I consider to be a suburban area (North Druid Hills) for the year I lived there, because of proximity to where I worked. So you're probably confusing me with another poster.

I'm confused as to who "they" is. DC is in the top tier of urbanity cities in the country. I don't know where this narrative is coming from that no one would perceive DC on the top tier of urbanity level. Atlanta has a city wide density of 3,539 pp sq mi. DC is over 11k and will soon surpass Chicago and Philadelphia to the top 5 in density within a couple years. The two shouldn't be in the same discussion regarding this topic specifically. There are other topics where DC/Atlanta compare better, but it ain't urbanity or urban amenities.

1. NYC
Population Density per square mile: 27,748
Change in Population density v 2010: 1.87%

2. San Francisco
Population Density per square mile: 18,791
Change in Population density v 2010: 9.46%

3. Boston
Population Density per square mile: 14,363
Change in Population density v 2010: 11.74%

4. Miami
Population Density per square mile: 13,000
Change in Population density v 2010: 16.68%

5. Chicago
Population Density per square mile: 11,846
Change in Population density v 2010: < 0.21>%

6. Philadelphia
Population Density per square mile: 11,797
Change in Population density v 2010: 3.66%

7. Washington DC
Population Density per square mile: 11,546
Change in Population density v 2010: 16.76%

8. Long Beach, CA
Population Density per square mile: 9,123
Change in Population density v 2010: < 0.30>

9. Seattle
Population Density per square mile: 8,973
Change in Population density v 2010: 23.41%

10. Los Angeles
Population Density per square mile: 8,476
Change in Population density v. 2010: 4.8%

Old 05-19-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
If that's the case a lot of those people are idiots if they think Atlanta is that. Btw, I never heard someone from the Northeast call Atlanta a sleepy suburban town. Step off the high horse.
This guy was visiting Atlanta from NYC for a few weeks. The way he was talking he hadnt really been anyhwere outside of the NE as like many do in the NE make wide generalizations but he actually responded to someone by saying Atlanta was "country". He was riding Marta. Anyone who has done a lot of travel over the US know Atlanta subway may not be much but its more than most cities have. So yes.you have many people who are very ignorant about the world outside of their urban paradise. L

That brings me to another point. People from the West Coast that move South are more likely as other Southerners to move to the suburbs than the city. All this talk about what people will do is mostly about people from the Northeastern perspective.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I never lived on English Ave. I lived in what I consider to be a suburban area (North Druid Hills) for the year I lived there, because of proximity to where I worked. So you're probably confusing me with another poster.

I'm confused as to who "they" is. DC is in the top tier of urbanity cities in the country. I don't know where this narrative is coming from that no one would perceive DC on the top tier of urbanity level. Atlanta has a city wide density of 3,539 pp sq mi. DC is over 11k and will soon surpass Chicago and Philadelphia to the top 5 in density within a couple years. The two shouldn't be in the same discussion regarding this topic specifically. There are other topics where DC/Atlanta compare better, but it ain't urbanity or urban amenities.

1. NYC
Population Density per square mile: 27,748
Change in Population density v 2010: 1.87%

2. San Francisco
Population Density per square mile: 18,791
Change in Population density v 2010: 9.46%

3. Boston
Population Density per square mile: 14,363
Change in Population density v 2010: 11.74%

4. Miami
Population Density per square mile: 13,000
Change in Population density v 2010: 16.68%

5. Chicago
Population Density per square mile: 11,846
Change in Population density v 2010: < 0.21>%

6. Philadelphia
Population Density per square mile: 11,797
Change in Population density v 2010: 3.66%

7. Washington DC
Population Density per square mile: 11,546
Change in Population density v 2010: 16.76%

8. Long Beach, CA
Population Density per square mile: 9,123
Change in Population density v 2010: < 0.30>

9. Seattle
Population Density per square mile: 8,973
Change in Population density v 2010: 23.41%

10. Los Angeles
Population Density per square mile: 8,476
Change in Population density v. 2010: 4.8%
Maybe so ..
WHats the argument? I said Atlanta was on the same tier as far as who it will attract. New York,San Fran,Miami,Chicago are probably are the few cities that go for their uniqueness in their urban layouts.
Miami is as denser than DC but is it as urban?No,but people arent going to choose DC over Miami for the same reasons. Thats what Im saying about Atlanta and DC. DC is more urban and dense but neither city is a city people choose just for their cheapness or urabnity.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Maybe so ..
WHats the argument? I said Atlanta was on the same tier as far as who it will attract. New York,San Fran,Miami,Chicago are probably are the few cities that go for their uniqueness in their urban layouts.
Miami is as denser than DC but is it as urban?No,but people arent going to choose DC over Miami for the same reasons. Thats what Im saying about Atlanta and DC. DC is more urban and dense but neither city is a city people choose just for their cheapness or urabnity.
We're speaking in too general of terms without specifying things. For example the "who" matters here. Miami actually sees worse domestic migration numbers than DC does, because of "who" chooses to move there. It's an international based growth city almost entirely. DC is a mix of both domestic growth and international. Mostly in part to the job base, but there's also a contingent of folks both domestic and international that view DC as an urban space they would like to either live, own property, or work in.

Atlanta is a mix as well with it's growth base, but the majority of it is still from domestic migrants choosing to buy a phat suburban crib out in Marietta, or Gwinnett County somewhere, with maybe a few looking at Buckhead/Midtown. It's unquestionably one of the top places in the US that people move to, but when doing so, it's really nothing to do with the level of urbanity of Atlanta proper is all I'm saying.

Last edited by the resident09; 05-19-2021 at 12:39 PM..

Old 05-19-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
We're speaking in too general of terms without specifying things. For example the "who" matters here. Miami actually sees worse domestic migration numbers than DC does, because of "who" chooses to move there. It's an international based growth city almost entirely. DC is a mix of both domestic growth and international. Mostly in part to the job base, but there's also a contingent of folks both domestic and international that view DC as an urban space they would like to either live, own property, or work in.

Atlanta is a mix as well with it's growth base, but the majority of it is still from domestic migrants choosing to buy a phat suburban crib out in Marietta, or Gwinnett County somewhere, with maybe a few looking at Buckhead/Midtown.
You are being very one sided. It can be "who" when it comes to age,nationality,race,etc and as we know DC is more international but Atlants with its universities and corporate base is too. People who come from abroad for work or school will move in the city of Atlanta just like DC even if its far less.
DC suburbs are among tbe best in the country and because they are more dense and have easier transit options,I think you have a good amount of both choices.

Atlanta is still a city and if you needing to be in the city for those reasons and you are an international.the idea of an American suburb is not known. Choosing it over the city proper will be a matter of if I can get to Georgia Tech,Coke,Tuner etc over if I can afford it.

I know this first hand as I was a landlord and flipper in downtown Atlanta. For many years i rented to mainly international students .professors,interns, and research professionals.. i lived in one of my properties with them and would often as I do even now ,hang out with them and their friends. I know all the places they rent and live in the city so I know what Im talking about based on experience not what I assume.

You cant lump all domestic migrants the same. I already explained how and where some groups move in the city depending on where they are coming from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City