Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 03:51 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
That’s cute.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 08:31 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
First of all, it isn't the responsibility of the Black Church to solve all of Black America's problems so I'm not sure why you are putting that entire burden on one institution. You want pastors to be policemen and dieticians too? Come on now...

Secondly, saying Black churches haven't done much to mobilize Black voters is a flat-out, straight-up LIE. The Black church is easily the primary institution that mobilizes Black voters and I have no idea how you can say anything to the contrary.

Thirdly, there are more Black churches than ever that are accepting of Black LGBT people.

If you think we aren't "doing better," then you either haven't been paying attention or you need to get out of Nashville. Nobody denies that problems exist so there's no need to respond to this with a bunch of links to articles about stuff that we know still happens, but you are deliberately ignoring the progress that has been made.

I hate that this thread has gone off on such an irrelevant tangent. I brought up the fact that the city widely known as the Black mecca has also been called the Black gay mecca, and all of a sudden we're on this tangent. Smh...
Cute

Old 05-24-2020, 08:56 AM

527 posts, read 319,610 times
I don't understand calling out companies that are failing right now in terms of wins and losses. It's pretty devastating everywhere and we are far from out of this.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:31 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Cute
Late.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:59 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you are dialoguing in good faith, then my point most certainly does stand--which is, you would have done well to ask for confirmation or further explanation about people supposedly looking down on Atlanta for its LGBT population instead of leaping into that particular pit about Black people and homophobia.

We can agree to disagree on what you implied because I read it quite differently.

And no, quotation marks are not used exclusively with direct quotes. This is how I was using them.
I mean I'm not gonna lie...there's definitely a signifncant subset of Black Americans who look down on Atlanta because "there's too many gay man there". Just go to mostly black forums. Lipstickalley, a black female dominated forum constantly criticizes and bashes Atlanta for being "too gay" and how women down here "can't find a man" and "Move to Houston or DC if you want to find a successful black man that's not on downlow". Atlanta as of the late 2000s had the 3rd highest share of gay people after SF and Seattle so it's very much the gay capital of the South where many gay people who feel or are persecuted in their small southern towns move to. I wouldn't be surprised if the share has increased since it's well known as a Gay Black mecca and gay black men from all over the country move down here.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:35 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Cute
It doesn't seem inaccurate to me.

I have to state though with all these 'cute' remarks there seems to be alot of love flowing in this thread, I'm just waiting on some of these folks to get married.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:57 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
lol
All I had no idea. I expected better from you but I see you’re stuck on foolery also but since you find me to be a joke I will find something better to do with my time because clearly the respect ain’t there.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:01 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
This was what I was attempting to convey
I think you knew what I meant even with my blatant typo. It was supposed to say:

Quote:
Having a slightly lower percentage of gay marriage support, when all demographic groups have majority support, does not equate or mean Blacks have a specific, significant homophobia problem in comparison to other demographic/ethnic/racial groups.

Last edited by aries4118; 05-24-2020 at 01:16 PM..

Old 05-24-2020, 01:09 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I mean I'm not gonna lie...there's definitely a signifncant subset of Black Americans who look down on Atlanta because "there's too many gay man there". Just go to mostly black forums. Lipstickalley, a black female dominated forum constantly criticizes and bashes Atlanta for being "too gay" and how women down here "can't find a man" and "Move to Houston or DC if you want to find a successful black man that's not on downlow". Atlanta as of the late 2000s had the 3rd highest share of gay people after SF and Seattle so it's very much the gay capital of the South where many gay people who feel or are persecuted in their small southern towns move to. I wouldn't be surprised if the share has increased since it's well known as a Gay Black mecca and gay black men from all over the country move down here.
Yeah I'm definitely aware of this but the reasons behind it are pretty much just as you say. It's not so much a manifestation of homophobia as it is the frustrations of Black women concerning men who aren't honest about their sexual attraction to other men and the already limited pool of (straight) young and middle-aged stable, employed Black men compared to the much larger pool of available Black women of the same status which is compounded in a city like Atlanta with a large Black LGBT population. Many of those same women often say they have absolutely no issue with Black gay men who are honest with themselves and others concerning their sexuality and that they have gay male friends.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:28 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
This thread derailed a lot lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City