Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 03:41 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

I think Red should stay in Houston, in all honesty. Richmond would be your best option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 06:48 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah I'm definitely aware of this but the reasons behind it are pretty much just as you say. It's not so much a manifestation of homophobia as it is the frustrations of Black women concerning men who aren't honest about their sexual attraction to other men and the already limited pool of (straight) young and middle-aged stable, employed Black men compared to the much larger pool of available Black women of the same status which is compounded in a city like Atlanta with a large Black LGBT population. Many of those same women often say they have absolutely no issue with Black gay men who are honest with themselves and others concerning their sexuality and that they have gay male friends.
Exactly. But anyhow I think where we’re standing right now with all 3 cities. Atlanta definitely has a slight slight notch over Houston. Dallas would be a 3rd option. Me and my Wife really dug deep into all 3 and officially came to the realization that although we do like Dallas a lot, an increase in pay and a few more networking opportunities than Houston is not enough to justify the move when Atlanta has that and more for our careers.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:46 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Exactly. But anyhow I think where we’re standing right now with all 3 cities. Atlanta definitely has a slight slight notch over Houston. Dallas would be a 3rd option. Me and my Wife really dug deep into all 3 and officially came to the realization that although we do like Dallas a lot, an increase in pay and a few more networking opportunities than Houston is not enough to justify the move when Atlanta has that and more for our careers.
The answer is staring you in the face bro. Based on everything youve mentioned and your requirements for what you want to live, Atlanta is definitely your best choice.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:58 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
No matter where you guys end up, I definitely wish y'all the best!

Old 05-24-2020, 08:29 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
All I had no idea. I expected better from you but I see you’re stuck on foolery also but since you find me to be a joke I will find something better to do with my time because clearly the respect ain’t there.
You being way to sensitive. I dont take this forum seriously and I try to be as respectful as I can be but I do like to have fun and I thought it was funny. Sorry you took that to mean I think someone I have never met to be a joke or not a joke.
I do think your post was correct but also obviously reaching to make Ft. Worth seem like its something its not.
I can guarantee I could come up with a list about Seattle,Denver,Phoenix etc like that and just like those cities,no one is gonna change their mind about them being a standout for black acheievement.
His remark was flippant but it was accurate which is why i simply said LOL in the way terse way Aries responded.
We dont have to always agree but I respect your ability to contribute but dont get mad because we laughed at your attempt.If I didnt have respect for your contribution I would ignore you like I do some racist posters who show up occasionally and even the ones who do when its avoidable

Old 05-25-2020, 08:29 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No matter where you guys end up, I definitely wish y'all the best!
Same here! Good luck brother!

This will be last post on this thread, but drop me a line and let me know what you decide.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:53 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Good Luck on Your Houston move...Make sure you let us know how you like Houston once you get used to never leaving.

The third times a charm..........We'll get a third thread like this from you....in about 4-6 months.

I think you are tired of Houston but afraid to admit it. because you know they'll come get you.

I Kiiid, I Kiiid

Old 05-25-2020, 01:55 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Good Luck on Your Houston move...Make sure you let us know how you like Houston once you get used to never leaving.

The third times a charm..........We'll get a third thread like this from you....in about 4-6 months.

I think you are tired of Houston but afraid to admit it. because you know they'll come get you.

I Kiiid, I Kiiid
??
He picked Atlanta I thought.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:56 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Just ran the numbers and Houston metro has 250K more black people than Dallas metro.

What also makes Houston seem "blacker" on the surface are a couple things:

1. Because of its proximity, Houston's culture has more of a deep south connection, where the culture is more heavily influenced by black people since they make up a plurality if not majority of the population in that region. Dallas, conversely, has more of a hybrid Western / Midwestern connection, where the culture is more heavily influenced by people of European descent.

2. The racial wealth/economic disparity is much greater in Dallas than Houston. Houston has Dallas beat when it comes to good-paying blue collar jobs and healthcare, which are both occupational areas where black people tend to make up a larger share of the labor force. Thus, you're more likely to run to "ordinary" black people doing well for themselves in Houston than Dallas.

Proximity? DFW is 2 and 1/2 hours from the Louisiana border vs 90 minutes for Houston. Its not like DFW is Abilene or Lubbock.

Please provide the reference website supporting your comment on MUCH greater wealth/economic disparity between Houston and Dallas/FW. I've lived in each metro area over 15 years and just don't see a great disparity. I want median family income. Houston tends to have more blue collar jobs but that's not a material concern for the OP as he said his home office is in Dallas. Second, Houston's economy due to a significant portion being Oil and Gas is more volatile than DFW or Atlanta's. That could have indirect implications in terms of opportunities. Third, Houston's black population is significant but not the majority, especially with the Latino community. Of the three metros discussed, DFW has the smallest but at the same time, its growing in its diversity. Houston metro black population is 22% vs. 15% for DFW, both above the national average. As far as blue collar jobs, Metro Dallas has 10 Amazon warehouses, Lockhead Martin Fighter Jet plant, Bell Helicopter plant, BNSF Railroad HQs and railyard, a GM Auto manufacturing complex, HQs and Maintenance complexes for American and Southwest Airline and Alliance Airport which is a big cargo hub for UPS, Fedex and under construction, Amazon Air.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:02 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
[quote=SouthernBoy205;58080469]I agree.

Also, Houston isn’t as segregated. You have thriving black communities all over the metro. We aren’t confined to one area of the metro. The north side is just as black as the south side. Houston’s dominant culture is black (slight edge over the other cultures), if you ask me.

Houston thrives on black culture. DFW and Atlanta have more Africans than Houston, but Houston feels like it’s more African than the two. Houston’s openness to diversity helps this a bunch.

Red lives in The Woodlands, which is lily white. However, he’s close to Spring, which has a pretty solid middle class black population. He prefers Fort Bend County’s school system, which has a black plurality.[/QUO

I've lived in all three metro areas and of the three Atlanta is most noticeably the most segregated. Greater Houston is no more diverse in terms of where minorities live than Houston. I know black, Latino, Asian, Pakistani and Indian everywhere. Granted, all three have areas where one might find a higher number of one ethnic group over another but people are everywhere. With Atlanta, one can see the east and southside o the area are heavily more black than north and west sides. Gwinnett seems to be an area when diversity in the suburbs is most noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City