Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 10:09 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Atlanta doesn’t have a cultural arts district or even the types of visual and performing arts venues like in Dallas and Houston. Fort Worth even has a great collection of museums and Bass Hall is gorgeous.
Somebody better tell the OP then since he's pretty much decided to move back to Atlanta.

And all cities don't have a specific cultural arts district but Atlanta's venues are very adequate for a city its size. Atlanta's cultural venues are pretty much split between Midtown (Fox Theater, Woodruff Arts Center, botanical gardens, Center for Puppetry Arts), downtown (National Center for Civil and Human Rights, Aquarium, children's museum, World of Coke, College Football HOF), Sweet Auburn/O4W (MLK Center, Carter Center), and surrounding areas. This isn't counting the cultural facilities associated with colleges/universities or in the suburbs. Or the airport.

The OP won't be lacking in performing/visual arts options when he returns to Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 12:03 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
[quote=walker1962;58201994]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I agree.

Also, Houston isn’t as segregated. You have thriving black communities all over the metro. We aren’t confined to one area of the metro. The north side is just as black as the south side. Houston’s dominant culture is black (slight edge over the other cultures), if you ask me.

Houston thrives on black culture. DFW and Atlanta have more Africans than Houston, but Houston feels like it’s more African than the two. Houston’s openness to diversity helps this a bunch.

Red lives in The Woodlands, which is lily white. However, he’s close to Spring, which has a pretty solid middle class black population. He prefers Fort Bend County’s school system, which has a black plurality.[/QUO

I've lived in all three metro areas and of the three Atlanta is most noticeably the most segregated. Greater Houston is no more diverse in terms of where minorities live than Houston. I know black, Latino, Asian, Pakistani and Indian everywhere. Granted, all three have areas where one might find a higher number of one ethnic group over another but people are everywhere. With Atlanta, one can see the east and southside o the area are heavily more black than north and west sides. Gwinnett seems to be an area when diversity in the suburbs is most noticeable.
Atlanta has a black population almost double than the other cities.I alwasy find it fascinating when people occasionally say Atlanta is more segregated but saying that does not show an accurate description.
For Example I live South in Clayton County. A county more than 60 black that was in the 1980's over 80% white. I know because I grew up from 16 tp 21 before going into Air Force.
Clayton gets a mad rap for a lot of things but its actually as diverse as any county in the metro.Its has alarge Hispanic and Asian population but its bloack population is extremely diverse as you have many Africans and Caribbeans lving in the area. So when you say segregated,it is int accept for some small mostly poor neighborhoods mixed in wihn some every upscale neighborhoods in Southwest Atlanta.

Houston is the same way but with Hispanics. We are so used to focusing on blakc and white we dont always notice how other races fit into the equation . Since Houston has a traditional Hispanic population its make up is different as it shows segrgation among Hispanic and black groups.
The difference between it and Atlanta is that you have two traditionally marginalized commnities of color

Old 05-26-2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Well I be damn. When did black achievement become contained to a select number of cities. Black people are doing well all over the DFW area including Fort Worth. You’re clearly not knowing and shouldn’t speak on communities that you know nothing about. Two of those high performing Texas black zip codes where located in Tarrant County the same damn county Fort Worth is located in. Just because you have a particular ignorant view doesn’t mean everyone else shares your views. Knowledge is infinite. There are high achieving black Americans all over this country not just in Atlanta.
Thats not what I said but since you dont want to hear what I actually said then so be it.You obviosuly dont want to hear anything but the sound of your own voice

Old 05-26-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
How is Texas more conservative than Atlanta/Georgia!? Georgia has a Stone Carving of Confederate Heroes near Atlanta and far more confederate monuments than Texas. Austin is known as being liberal. Dallas and Houston have black mayors. Plano, a very large suburb has a black mayor. Outside of Atlanta, where are there significant number of minorities in positions of power and influence? Texas colleges have hired black coaches at big schools. Has Georgia ever elected a woman as Governor or the U.S. Senate? No but Texas has.
Georgia has had two Chief State court justices. One of which was the first and youngest black woman to ever hold the position in any state.Not to mention has also an associate cheif justice.At one tome there were 3 black Justices of seven
Augusta actually ranks very high in a lot of list of black acheievement. Its got one of the highest black homeownership rates in the country. Even higher than Atlanta

All of Georgia major cities have had or do have black mayors.
Georgia has elected two women to the US Senate and currently has one serving.

Many of those confederate monuments around Atlanta have been removed or received designated signage by giving context. Streets have been renamed for years .
https://www.courthousenews.com/atlan...-city-streets/

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...tlanta/571279/
Texas has done a better job at removing symbols.

At best ,on the state level,the two are about the same but Atlanta is definitely more progressive than any city in TX

Old 05-26-2020, 12:40 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,089 times
Houston looks segregated as Hell.....Diverse neighborhoods mean Multicolored.....Yeah Dallas' map like that looks more blended. Especially NE Dallas.....It looks like the crumbs at the bottom of the Froot Loops bag when you pour the last bowl of cereal..

https://images1.dallasobserver.com/i...pppracemap.png

Old 05-26-2020, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Atlanta doesn’t have a cultural arts district or even the types of visual and performing arts venues like in Dallas and Houston. Fort Worth even has a great collection of museums and Bass Hall is gorgeous.
Such as ?I mean you must have something in mind if you say it doesnt have something. I can name somethings Atlanta has that are better or unique for Atlanta as so you should be able to do the same since you brought it up.
Atlanta does have an Art District.Its not laid out like the other cities but more compact and less spread out than Houston or Dallas providing a more urban experience more akin to cities in the Northeast.

https://www.atlanta.net/explore/neig.../art-district/
The Atlanta Botanical gardens in one of the best on the US.
The Center for Puppetry Arts is the premier place in all of North America for this art form and Dallas nor Houston have nothing like it.
The Michael C Carlos Museum of Antiquities is the best in the South with over 16,000 pieces in its collection compared with Houston's Museum of Fine Arts Antiquities Collection of 450.
Houston is better but Atlanta isnt lacking in anything.

In the Atlanta metro is the Booth Museum of Western History and Culture in Cartersville .Odd but its a really great museum you would not expect to see in this part of the US.
I went a few months ao and saw Andy Warhol's Western series collection. Its a very interesting museum
Forbes thought so
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chaddsc.../#2f79b9bc4609

One of the best recital halls in North America is Spivey Hall South of Atlanta in Clayton County, Its acoustics are world renowned

I guess you left and you think you still know whats going on but obviously you dont

Old 05-26-2020, 01:08 AM

Quote:
That's a nice center but its suburban Atlanta not in the city itself. The city of Dallas has thehttps://www.attpac.org/ consisting of the Winspear Opera House, the Wyly Center and Hammons Hall. This excludes the old Music Hall on the State Fair Grounds. There are several other suburban venues or in Fort Worth as well.
You realize that a even Dallas has venues in their suburbs even further? So the Dallas Cowboys are playing in Dallas but yet they are still the Dallas Cowboys.
Unlike At&t stadium in Alrlington, The Cobb Energy Center is technically in Atlanta.It has an Atlanta zip code but is in Cobb County,just like the airport in Clayton COunty but having an Atlanta address as well. Same with Emory and the CDC which are in Dekalb county but are in Atlanta. CEC is ;ess than 2 miles from Buckhead, You could see a performance in the same area of Truist Park where the braves play. Actually walk from each areas they are that close
Atlanta has similar venues across its metro as well

Last edited by CleverOne; 05-26-2020 at 02:01 AM..

Old 05-26-2020, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Houston looks segregated as Hell.....Diverse neighborhoods mean Multicolored.....Yeah Dallas' map like that looks more blended. Especially NE Dallas.....It looks like the crumbs at the bottom of the Froot Loops bag when you pour the last bowl of cereal..

https://images1.dallasobserver.com/i...pppracemap.png
Well Dallas has a large Hispanic population and a growing black population so you see a lot of overlap with Hispanics in the map

Old 05-26-2020, 01:19 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I don't think he's serious about leaving Houston....He admitted that both Atlanta and Dallas is a better deal for him... But he's stuck...I think Dallas was the smartest move of the three..Not being Biased either...just going by what he mentioned as +'s for each city.

He probably feel that if he moves to Dallas and like it....people from Houston would call him out for thinking Blacks can be happy in Dallas without TSU or PV.
Your reminding me why I choose Houston instead of Dallas after college in the first place. The insecure country bumpkin mentality still lingers even in todays Dallas. I think Houston cats use to clown you at TSU for your Shaqs and tacky wardrobe and you've been in your feelings about Houston ever since.

Anyway, I've already said I like all 3 cities including Dallas but I like Houston a better than Dallas. None of my people care about a Dallas or Houston rivalry. How old are you again man? Your embarrassing DISD. LOL

Old 05-26-2020, 01:40 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times
Quote:
The one great cultural attraction Atlanta has opened the last 20 years is the Georgia aquarium. Atlanta has some other great attractions like the Carter Center and the MLK Memorial but where's the great opera house or Performing Arts Center? I remember living there and Arthur Blank offered to donate $40milllion for a new Performing Arts Center if others stepped forward in the City. Couldn't come close to getting it funded.
I mean Atlanta gets 50 million tourist a year compared to Dallas 27 million tourist so they're evidently doing something right with their attractions.

And I mean Atlanta did build a National Center for Civil and Human Rights. Also Paste rated them as one of the top cities for performing arts so somebodies paying attention.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/theatr...ies-in-the-us/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City