Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 03:36 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I wanted to address cultural amenities first. Museums? Dallas AND Fort Worth have plenty of museums. The whole State Fair Grounds are exhibition halls and museums, including one for African Americans. Fort Worth has a officially designated "Cultural District" with several museums and the Will Rogers Coliseum. They just opened a 14,000 Dickies Arena too. The one great cultural attraction Atlanta has opened the last 20 years is the Georgia aquarium. Atlanta has some other great attractions like the Carter Center and the MLK Memorial but where's the great opera house or Performing Arts Center? I remember living there and Arthur Blank offered to donate $40milllion for a new Performing Arts Center if others stepped forward in the City. Couldn't come close to getting it funded.

Zoos? Compare to Houston and Atlanta, Dallas has the largest Zoo in the State of Texas (106 acres)and was expanded over five years ago. Houston Zoo is 55 acres. Fort Worth has an award winning zoo (64 acres). Zoo Atlanta - 40 acres.

Post WWII, the "Great Migration" was about jobs but also about escaping racial oppression. if good jobs were to be had in the South, fewer would have relocated. Some of my family moved to Chicago, Detroit, NY and Philly but some went west to Houston. Also, those drafted into the military got out of the south and never looked back.

Many people don't know but the first black mayor of Atlanta, Maynard Jackson, was born Dallas and lived there for part of his childhood before his Dad moved back to Atlanta.
What you are referring was during the worst recession for which Atlanta was hit harder than almost any city in the US.So yes it fell through for obvious reasons but the High museum had a multi million dollar expansion by another world renowned architect.

As far as the Aquarium,its actually the BEST aquarium on the world and will be once again the largest in the world after its current expansion is completed.
The Atlanta Zoo is just finishing up an expansion and renovation itself but size has nothing to do with quality.The fact is there are only four places in the US you can see pandas/ One of which is the Atlanta zoo.
Dallas has better Zoo overall but is nowhere near the best in the US as it aquriaim is not either unlike Atlanta being number one.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/blog/top...to-experience/

Houston Zoo includes the Aquarium .Its not seperate like the Atlanta ZOO and Aquarium. The Aquarium is actually also a Oceanic research institute under UGA. The Kipp Aquarium is just an an afterthought in comparison to most aquariums.

Maynard Jackson was born in Dallas but he has roots from both sides of his family are in Georgia.His grandfather was a pioneering civil rights leader named J.W.Dobbs.He may have been born there and even lived there for a very short time but obviously he never went back and stayed in Atlanta

https://www.google.com/search?q=j.w....hrome&ie=UTF-8
His aunt Was Matiwilda Dobbs
Quote:
Opera Singer. A coloratura soprano, she shall be remembered as one of the first black artists to achieve major operatic stardom. The child of a distinguished family, she was raised in Atlanta, studied piano from around age seven, and learned to sing in church. Mattiwilda began formal vocal study while a student at Atlanta's Spelman College and, according to legend, was picked by Dr. Martin Luther King, Sr. as a bride for his son Martin Luther King, Jr., though the match-up did not work out. She went on to New York City and to Tanglewood for further training, then travelled to Paris on a Marian Anderson Scholarship, though during her time in New York she had earned a master's degree in Spanish from Columbia University, an education she pursued in order to have a back-up if musical success …
What are yoiu talking about Atlanta hasnt ipened any attractions since the Aquarium?The Beltline ring a bell?
Its not just a trail but new parks and art installations. The Westside Bellwood Quarry park will be larger than Piedmont which in itself has had a major expansion since the time from you said.
Atlanta has a 40th ranking in Parkscore vs Dallas at 56 and Houston at 70 something.Dallas got a 19 score for park amenities while Atlanta got a 50. In investments of parks Dallas was again even worse at 58 when Atlanta got a 86 out of 100. There are at least 3 parks under construction that I know of in Atlanta right now in addition to some other that have been completed in the last 10 years.

Some other major things Atlanta has done. A new Mercedes BenZ Arena(was the most expensive ever in the world at 2$b),a new streetcar,a people mover to the recent multi million dollar makeover of the airport that starts in College Park at the Georgia International Convention Center built in 2009 but now has under construction an arena for the Hawks Development league team which is surround by hotels and a new separate Rental car facility which are all connected by people mover . Cant leave out the major expansion of the Georgia World Congress Center as well as new hotels added surrounding it downtown.

Dallas truthfully is building a lot of stuff because it didnt have hardly anything to begin with. Atlanta has had a better urban layout as much of its landmarks were built when cities like NYC,Boston ,Chicago and Philly were growing and much of the influence came from designers and architects in those cities.
So most of Atlanta development in its attractions are extending,renovating and or improving those attractions in addition to adding more.
'Thats why Atlanta has so many more visitors than Dallas and growing.That just doesnt happen if there was nothing new worth coming for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 04:18 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
The one great cultural attraction Atlanta has opened the last 20 years is the Georgia aquarium.
Oh yeah I definitely missed this. Geesh...SO very off base. The National Center for Civil and Human Rights, the College Football HOF, and the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center have all been built since the Aquarium. You also have the Beltline and the overhaul of Centennial Olympic Park. I'm probably missing some others.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Oh yeah I definitely missed this. Geesh...SO very off base. The National Center for Civil and Human Rights, the College Football HOF, and the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center have all been built since the Aquarium. You also have the Beltline and the overhaul of Centennial Olympic Park. I'm probably missing some others.
Dude is so way off base its embarrassing for him. Im amazed that people think when they left a city,things just stop.They hear a thing or two and think its the same place they left behind.
As i pointed out earlier according ParkScore Atlanta got an 85 out of 100 score for investment in its parks.It shows as you can go anywhere and not seee or hear about a new park or green space popping up.
Dallas is doing a remarkable job and is a place I wouldnt mind going again to check out. This was not the case if you asked me 10 years ago.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Dude is so way off base its embarrassing for him. Im amazed that people think when they left a city,things just stop.They hear a thing or two and think its the same place they left behind.
As i pointed out earlier according ParkScore Atlanta got an 85 out of 100 score for investment in its parks.It shows as you can go anywhere and not seee or hear about a new park or green space popping up.
Dallas is doing a remarkable job and is a place I wouldnt mind going again to check out. This was not the case if you asked me 10 years ago.
Obviously he's looking for a pissing match when there really is none to be had.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:41 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Such as ?I mean you must have something in mind if you say it doesnt have something. I can name somethings Atlanta has that are better or unique for Atlanta as so you should be able to do the same since you brought it up.
Atlanta does have an Art District.Its not laid out like the other cities but more compact and less spread out than Houston or Dallas providing a more urban experience more akin to cities in the Northeast.

https://www.atlanta.net/explore/neig.../art-district/
The Atlanta Botanical gardens in one of the best on the US.
The Center for Puppetry Arts is the premier place in all of North America for this art form and Dallas nor Houston have nothing like it.
The Michael C Carlos Museum of Antiquities is the best in the South with over 16,000 pieces in its collection compared with Houston's Museum of Fine Arts Antiquities Collection of 450.
Houston is better but Atlanta isnt lacking in anything.

In the Atlanta metro is the Booth Museum of Western History and Culture in Cartersville .Odd but its a really great museum you would not expect to see in this part of the US.
I went a few months ao and saw Andy Warhol's Western series collection. Its a very interesting museum
Forbes thought so
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chaddsc.../#2f79b9bc4609

One of the best recital halls in North America is Spivey Hall South of Atlanta in Clayton County, Its acoustics are world renowned

I guess you left and you think you still know whats going on but obviously you dont
I do still know what’s goin on and don’t find that list as impressive as what’s offered in Dallas, Houston or Fort Worth. As for the aquariums, the GA Aquarium is very nice, DFW has multiple aquariums to choose from, so the area is not lacking.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I do still know what’s goin on and don’t find that list as impressive as what’s offered in Dallas, Houston or Fort Worth. As for the aquariums, the GA Aquarium is very nice, DFW has multiple aquariums to choose from, so the area is not lacking.
And Atlanta isn't lacking when it comes to cultural arts generally. Keep in mind that so far, none of the on-campus cultural venues have even been mentioned: Emory, Clark Atlanta, Spelman, Kennesaw State, and Agnes Scott all have an art museum or gallery, the CDC has a Smithsonian-affiliated on-site museum, there's the Woodruff Library at the AUC, GSU's Rialto Theater is downtown's performing arts venue, GA Tech has a niche museum of papermaking, the Georgia Capitol Museum, etc.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:59 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
I'm pretty sure Houston has a separate Aquarium in Downtown. I dont think its apart of the zoo, unless theres another aquarium I'm unaware of.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
It was not me who said Dallas was lacking.I said Atlanta had just as much if not more.
You and others were alluding to that for Atlanta. Based on your comments.
you just dont seem to know what you think you know because you and Walker were both proven wrong.
I prefer Atlanta but Im not biased to see where Dallas does somethings better,but when it comes to some amenities,overall Dallas isnt winning otherwise more people would be visiting. I get why people move there just like i do Houston,Miami,Las Vegas etc
Dallas Aquariums put together cannot come close to the Georgia Aquarium as I bet not even all of them combined have even half the amount of visitors as Atlanta

Old 05-26-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm pretty sure Houston has a separate Aquarium in Downtown. I dont think its apart of the zoo, unless theres another aquarium I'm unaware of.
I could be wrong.It must be just operated under the Zoo but in a separate location

Old 05-26-2020, 11:51 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
I could be wrong.It must be just operated under the Zoo but in a separate location
Just pointing it out. I've never been inside of it but from what I've heard the locales dont think too highly of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City