Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 12:59 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,449,291 times

Advertisements

I just asked simple questions and I never got answers....all I got was slanderous bull crap about how he felt about me personally.........I think he gets off by presenting that Dallas never stacks up to his Standards...I just wonder why that's all.

He says he visits here and have a good time....but it just has no culture...and blah blah blah....i get tired of the same spiel.

I just want people to be realistic sometimes and quit trying to come off as being genuinely interested in Dallas but all is pointed out is its flaws and presentations of how it never stacks up to it's peers.

i get tired of the same spiel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Well a couple of posters did ridicule him for not graduating from TSU and he responded back with something that was also repulsive that fit the stereotypical narrative of how some people view north Texas black people and you responded back by giving those same old tired stereotypes of black people from the upper south, which is something you picked up from the gulf coast region. You’re right you have defended DFW on many occasions because you’re a native East Texan and the Dallas black community is largely an extension of East Texas. So, to some extent your obligated to do so because you would be denying your roots.

.....Wow

I just meant We were popular at TSU....thats what "RAN" meant.

Last edited by dallasboi; 05-27-2020 at 01:31 PM..

Old 05-27-2020, 01:33 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
All you guys are really missing the point about what’s really going on between Redlionjr and Dallasboi. There is a perception that many hold on this forum that because Dallas doesn’t have the presence of a large HBCU than its inferior to Atlanta or Houston. If you guys ever notice the DFW posters have to constantly educate people with respects to there town. It’s a very ignorant view that ignores the fact that many of DFW black brightest attend non black institutions. Yes, black people can and are prospering in metros that don’t have a large HBCU. Dallas is a shining example of that. That brings me to another ignorant perception. The perception that HBCU’s are inferior to traditional schools. “Yes” there are many black people out there that feel that HBCU’s are inferior to traditional school, which I find to be appalling m
yself. But if you really dig deeper at that perception black parents are afraid to send their children to certain black institutions because of the fear of bad influences getting in the way of academic success. Many black HBCU supporters would still never send their children to a HBCU because of those fears. Would I send my immature and easily influenced son to TSU. Hell to the know. If I knew my son was mature enough to handle TSU than I would approve but I still would be worried sick about my child being down in Houston 4.5 hours away from me. The same way RedLionjr wants his child to have the best education in a safe environment is no different than the average black person that lives in North Texas.
Every city has successful blacks that are not affiliated with HBCUs but it sounds like you are saying having them isnt an important added attribute for a black community to have.
I think you are selling the fact that Houston and Atlanta having HBCUs do make a difference very short.
Here is some evidence.

Now Im not saying at all this means blacks will be more successful but it doesnt hirt to have HBCUS for support in the area.Just because its not a big deal for you doesnt mean it should be for some other blacks.
Its not the only reason but as many cities have high achieving black populations like San Jose .If a person wants not only a place where they can get a good job and live comfortably then every city can be that technically but yo act like having the extra advantage of black institutions is plane ignorance of just how much those schools conribute to the culture of the city . Its not just about a degree is about familiarity and comfort in knowing an aspect of your culture is available should you choose it.

This is what you and Dallasboi dont get because you never experienced it. Like all schools every HBCU is not the same. You making this as it were the case is just wrong.
If you think going to Morehouse is the same as going to Miles or Bowie St is the same as Bethume -Cookman then thats the problem and obvious why you dont get it.
If there was no HBCUs Civil Rights may have never come when it did.HBCUS support a larger community.Not just students.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Every city has successful blacks that are not affiliated with HBCUs but it sounds like you are saying having them isnt an important added attribute for a black community to have.
I think you are selling the fact that Houston and Atlanta having HBCUs do make a difference very short.
Here is some evidence.

Now Im not saying at all this means blacks will be more successful but it doesnt hirt to have HBCUS for support in the area.Just because its not a big deal for you doesnt mean it should be for some other blacks.
Its not the only reason but as many cities have high achieving black populations like San Jose .If a person wants not only a place where they can get a good job and live comfortably then every city can be that technically but yo act like having the extra advantage of black institutions is plane ignorance of just how much those schools conribute to the culture of the city . Its not just about a degree is about familiarity and comfort in knowing an aspect of your culture is available should you choose it.

This is what you and Dallasboi dont get because you never experienced it. Like all schools every HBCU is not the same. You making this as it were the case is just wrong.
If you think going to Morehouse is the same as going to Miles or Bowie St is the same as Bethume -Cookman then thats the problem and obvious why you dont get it.
If there was no HBCUs Civil Rights may have never come when it did.HBCUS support a larger community.Not just students.
All I meant was... What does having an HBCU contribute to the black community besides housing 18-20 yr old blacks from other places.

Everybody discredits whats considered an HBCU in Dallas( I used to) but it provides everything a black college can provide...and now it has one of the best curriculum's amongst the HBCU's.....Its still not enuff.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:46 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Does anybody pay attention to anything?!!

Quit attacking me!!!

I did HACK it....I had fun every minute until I realized that I wanted to have my own apartment and live life as a grown up not a college kid in a dorm room.....

When I was in college we all looked forward to going home to party on certain weekends because before we came we was too young to party in Dallas.....I WANTED TO GO HOME.........I WANTED TO START MY LIFE AND EXPERIENCE DALLAS.

Dallas was a Totally different place as an adult with your own place ......I never looked back.

Now please don't ever bring TSU up again regarding me.......I love and STILL love TSU but i made the right bad decisions down there because I love my life now and im glad I dug my adulthood roots in the town I was born.
LOL. You're highly insecure about TSU, its clear. It's also quite interesting to finally learn what is driving your unhealthy hatred of Houston. Hilarious. I suspected it had something to do with a woman, personally. This is far more amusing though.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:13 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Quote:
Here is some evidence.

Say it again for those in the back. What they don't get is that for many young black professionals, having an HBCU around is important because of the culture and support they provide to the community at large. They provide professional connections to students and graduates, space for community events, cultural festivals and other events, and tons of other benefits that are not immediately obvious if you don't understand what you're even looking for.

I used to live in Dallas. Its a fine town. And there are plenty of professional opportunities, especially in my line of work (aviation consulting). However, I had also previously lived and worked in DC and Houston (and the LA area), so my experience in Dallas was colored by my previous experiences in those towns.

Being 100% frank here, when you are a young black man in corporate America, especially in an industry as white and male as aviation is, you find that you seek mentorship and guidance, especially early in your career. I found that much easier in DC because there are many black professionals across a spectrum of industries there that will take an interest in you and help you if they feel you're hardworking and knowledgeable, because there aren't that many of us in the general scheme of things. Many of those professionals in DC graduated from places like Howard, Hampton, Bowie State, Norfolk State, Delaware State, UMES, etc. The fact that those schools exist in the DC area is a major benefit for black culture in the DMV area.

That is what Dallas lacks. Houston is not quite DC or Atlanta, but in this area it is much better than Dallas imo. Yes, black people can live perfectly happy lives in places that don't have major HBCUs, no one is denying that. But HBCUs make networking and cultural life so much more dynamic by always bringing a flow of educated black people into the area regardless of local economy at the time - they raise the "ceiling" so to speak.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
All I meant was... What does having an HBCU contribute to the black community besides housing 18-20 yr old blacks from other places.

Everybody discredits whats considered an HBCU in Dallas( I used to) but it provides everything a black college can provide...and now it has one of the best curriculum's amongst the HBCU's.....Its still not enuff.
Its not just about the education although that still is important.
Quote:
HBCUs make up only three percent of the country’s colleges and universities, but enroll 10 percent of all African American students and produce almost 20 percent of all African American graduates.
Who is everyone?And why is this a concern?You think we should get rid of HBCUs because u or Exuit dint see the purpose?Who are you trying to impress taht you would care about what they think about HBCU;s?
It sounds like you are discrediting them yourself because you had an issue with one bu what dies that have to do with all the people who choose to go there and graduate?
These schools arent just schools but additions to black culture just like music,dance,dress,speech,etc. You not willing to accept this just because Dallas is lacking them is odd.
Its not a big deal but it is one more reason some blacks might feel better about choosing a city over another.I said some.Not all

Old 05-27-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Say it again for those in the back. What they don't get is that for many young black professionals, having an HBCU around is important because of the culture and support they provide to the community at large. They provide professional connections to students and graduates, space for community events, cultural festivals and other events, and tons of other benefits that are not immediately obvious if you don't understand what you're even looking for.

I used to live in Dallas. Its a fine town. And there are plenty of professional opportunities, especially in my line of work (aviation consulting). However, I had also previously lived and worked in DC and Houston (and the LA area), so my experience in Dallas was colored by my previous experiences in those towns.

Being 100% frank here, when you are a young black man in corporate America, especially in an industry as white and male as aviation is, you find that you seek mentorship and guidance, especially early in your career. I found that much easier in DC because there are many black professionals across a spectrum of industries there that will take an interest in you and help you if they feel you're hardworking and knowledgeable, because there aren't that many of us in the general scheme of things. Many of those professionals in DC graduated from places like Howard, Hampton, Bowie State, Norfolk State, Delaware State, UMES, etc. The fact that those schools exist in the DC area is a major benefit for black culture in the DMV area.

That is what Dallas lacks. Houston is not quite DC or Atlanta, but in this area it is much better than Dallas imo. Yes, black people can live perfectly happy lives in places that don't have major HBCUs, no one is denying that. But HBCUs make networking and cultural life so much more dynamic by always bringing a flow of educated black people into the area regardless of local economy at the time - they raise the "ceiling" so to speak.
So true. Ive seen it all around the country where black professionals are.My parents met at an HBCU and all my dad siblings went there as well as ny grandmother and her siblings .I went there too. Great uncle was one of the original founders.
My dad worked at mostly HBCUs all my life so I saw so much of the richness and culture that comes out of HBCUS.Its like any college which generally or hotbeds for cultural expression

HBCus are our version of the Ivy League where generations of families find their support through the years from a commonality and heritage.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
LOL. You're highly insecure about TSU, its clear. It's also quite interesting to finally learn what is driving your unhealthy hatred of Houston. Hilarious. I suspected it had something to do with a woman, personally. This is far more amusing though.
I was young and wild.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Its not just about the education although that still is important.

Who is everyone?And why is this a concern?You think we should get rid of HBCUs because u or Exuit dint see the purpose?Who are you trying to impress taht you would care about what they think about HBCU;s?
It sounds like you are discrediting them yourself because you had an issue with one bu what dies that have to do with all the people who choose to go there and graduate?
These schools arent just schools but additions to black culture just like music,dance,dress,speech,etc. You not willing to accept this just because Dallas is lacking them is odd.
Its not a big deal but it is one more reason some blacks might feel better about choosing a city over another.I said some.Not all
Anybody besides me I guess.No I love HBCU's. I just hate when Dallas is discredited for not being black enough because we suppossedly don't have one.

Paul Qunn College is an HBCU......Won HBCU of the year once...But that doesn't count.

People swear I hate Houston....I don't....I guess they think this because Im always defending Dallas from the natural born Hatred coming from all directions. It get's tiring sometimes and sometimes my frustration shows when threads like this are made with a poll.. . Dallas wins the poll but all of the critiques...even from the OP are all negative...

Which made me question the intent of adding Dallas if you know you couldn't be Paid to move here?

Last edited by dallasboi; 05-27-2020 at 04:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City