Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 05:29 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Its not just about the education although that still is important.

Who is everyone?And why is this a concern?You think we should get rid of HBCUs because u or Exuit dint see the purpose?Who are you trying to impress taht you would care about what they think about HBCU;s?
It sounds like you are discrediting them yourself because you had an issue with one bu what dies that have to do with all the people who choose to go there and graduate?
These schools arent just schools but additions to black culture just like music,dance,dress,speech,etc. You not willing to accept this just because Dallas is lacking them is odd.
Its not a big deal but it is one more reason some blacks might feel better about choosing a city over another.I said some.Not all
See you straight put words in my mouth. I never said once I was anti HBCU or didn’t see the purpose of having them. THey’re still needed and play a important role in the black community, which is why Dallas still has Paul Quinn College. Granted, Paul Quinn still has ways to go to get back to it’s former self but the college has made substantial progress as it relates to getting its groove back. It is an accredited University and has a close working relationship with DFW business community. It’s enrollment as it stands now is around 550 students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 05:37 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Anybody besides me I guess.No I love HBCU's. I just hate when Dallas is discredited for not being black enough because we suppossedly don't have one.

Paul Qunn College is an HBCU......Won HBCU of the year once...But that doesn't count.

People swear I hate Houston....I don't....I guess they think this because Im always defending Dallas from the natural born Hatred coming from all directions. It get's tiring sometimes and sometimes my frustration shows when threads like this are made with a poll.. . Dallas wins the poll but all of the critiques...even from the OP are all negative...

Which made me question the intent of adding Dallas if you know you couldn't be Paid to move here?
Thats not was said exactly. What was said that having a gives a added cultural amenity to black life. Dallas not having any is just what it is.It most certainly is something that adds to a cities black culyure.You just cant deny that.
Come on now he never said he couldnt be paid to move there but he did say there might be better options. How you got its sucks out of that is beyond me

Old 05-27-2020, 05:44 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Its not just about the education although that still is important.

Who is everyone?And why is this a concern?You think we should get rid of HBCUs because u or Exuit dint see the purpose?Who are you trying to impress taht you would care about what they think about HBCU;s?
It sounds like you are discrediting them yourself because you had an issue with one bu what dies that have to do with all the people who choose to go there and graduate?
These schools arent just schools but additions to black culture just like music,dance,dress,speech,etc. You not willing to accept this just because Dallas is lacking them is odd.
Its not a big deal but it is one more reason some blacks might feel better about choosing a city over another.I said some.Not all
Bingo! My Birthplace of Marshall is nowhere near the level of any major city mentioned in this thread. It’s heyday is long gone. But there’s a rich Black culture there that still exist and really whats keeping the community still afloat is the legacy of its HBCU Wiley College. Like you said, the HBCU does a great job of helping the community. Putting events together and raising alumni that come back and contribute not only to the school but the city as a whole. Even Nate Parker created a film program there because he feel in love with the history of the school and the city. So some people like Dallasboi might not understand why HBCU’s are so prevalent to a community beyond an education. Universities period are pretty relevant to the culture of a city.

With all that said even though Dallas HBCU (Paul Quinn) is very very small and not as significant as other HBCU’s in the south DFW still has HBCU connections to the local culture there. It’s home to the State Fair Classic (PV A&M vs. Grambling). That’s a pretty huge even through out the city/state and region of ArkLaTex. The Predominantly Black high schools in the area have the parades and the battle of the bands. And there’s a long history of Black DFW natives attending schools like Wiley/PV/Grambling/TSU/ University of Arkansas/Jarvis/Langston Univ. along with many more. So even when the institutions are not prevalent in the area it’s presence and legacy is still there on some level.

However I always found it interesting that Dallas or Fort Worth never had a homegrown HBCU. I mean Bishop College that use to be there was originally birthed in Marshall and Paul Quinn was originally in Waco.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:07 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I’ve always found that interesting as well that Dallas never had a prominent HBCU near or in its metro area. It’s always had a large Black presence but never for higher education. It shares that history with Miami to a smaller extent. I remember when I talked to Grambling students when I was in high school that said that Grambling was like an extension of DISD because of some many Dallasites there. Dallas takes advantage but has a harder job than Houston and especially Atlanta or DC because there isn’t a prominent HBCU in its metro or near it.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:07 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Thats not was said exactly. What was said that having a gives a added cultural amenity to black life. Dallas not having any is just what it is.It most certainly is something that adds to a cities black culyure.You just cant deny that.
Come on now he never said he couldnt be paid to move there but he did say there might be better options. How you got its sucks out of that is beyond me
Quote:
5. I wouldn't have to leave the company I work for and I can make more
Well....To me this is exactly being paid to move here.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:15 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Bingo! My Birthplace of Marshall is nowhere near the level of any major city mentioned in this thread. It’s heyday is long gone. But there’s a rich Black culture there that still exist and really whats keeping the community still afloat is the legacy of its HBCU Wiley College. Like you said, the HBCU does a great job of helping the community. Putting events together and raising alumni that come back and contribute not only to the school but the city as a whole. Even Nate Parker created a film program there because he feel in love with the history of the school and the city. So some people like Dallasboi might not understand why HBCU’s are so prevalent to a community beyond an education. Universities period are pretty relevant to the culture of a city.

With all that said even though Dallas HBCU (Paul Quinn) is very very small and not as significant as other HBCU’s in the south DFW still has HBCU connections to the local culture there. It’s home to the State Fair Classic (PV A&M vs. Grambling.... and TSU vs Southern). That’s a pretty huge even through out the city/state and region of ArkLaTex. The Predominantly Black high schools in the area have the parades and the battle of the bands. And there’s a long history of Black DFW natives attending schools like Wiley/PV/Grambling/TSU/ University of Arkansas/Jarvis/Langston Univ. along with many more. So even when the institutions are not prevalent in the area it’s presence and legacy is still there on some level.

However I always found it interesting that Dallas or Fort Worth never had a homegrown HBCU. I mean Bishop College that use to be there was originally birthed in Marshall and Paul Quinn was originally in Waco.
...Here goes that subliminal stuff again!

Old 05-27-2020, 06:20 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

With all that said even though Dallas HBCU (Paul Quinn) is very very small and not as significant as other HBCU’s in the south DFW still has HBCU connections to the local culture there. It’s home to the State Fair Classic (PV A&M vs. Grambling). That’s a pretty huge even through out the city/state and region of ArkLaTex. The Predominantly Black high schools in the area have the parades and the battle of the bands. And there’s a long history of Black DFW natives attending schools like Wiley/PV/Grambling/TSU/ University of Arkansas/Jarvis/Langston Univ. along with many more. So even when the institutions are not prevalent in the area it’s presence and legacy is still there on some level.

My family originated from Marshall also. Let me find out we related. Marshall was actually the only place in Texas that actually had a civil rights movement. Bishop and Wiley college spearheaded those efforts.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:46 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Many black HBCU supporters would still never send their children to a HBCU because of those fears. Would I send my immature and easily influenced son to TSU. Hell to the know. If I knew my son was mature enough to handle TSU than I would approve but I still would be worried sick about my child being down in Houston 4.5 hours away from me. The same way RedLionjr wants his child to have the best education in a safe environment is no different than the average black person that lives in North Texas.
Well first of all, all HBCUs aren't the same; some are more known for their party cultures whereas others aren't. Some of that also has to do with how the person was raised. If they were more or less sheltered growing up and didn't have as much exposure to bigger cities, then there's a strong possibility that if they wind up attending any kind of school in any sort of big urban center, their grades could suffer because they are like a kid in a candy store with all of the potential distractions of the city. But that could even happen to a kid attending a small private school in a small town.

If parents do a great job of preparing their kids for adulthood, then they should be reasonably prepared for college life.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:59 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
My family originated from Marshall also. Let me find out we related. Marshall was actually the only place in Texas that actually had a civil rights movement. Bishop and Wiley college spearheaded those efforts.
Hmmm could be. I do have family all over DFW and I swear I’m related to majority of Black people in Marshall. Lol Might have to hit you up in the DM to see who your people. It’s still so many I didn’t know were family lol.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:31 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
All I meant was... What does having an HBCU contribute to the black community besides housing 18-20 yr old blacks from other places.
Would you ask this of any other type of college or university? If not, why would you ask this specifically of HBCUs?

I honestly can't believe this is a serious question, but I'll provide an answer based on my own life experience.

I'm a native of Orangeburg, SC which is home to the state's only public four-year HBCU, SC State University, and what has been for the last decade or so a Top 10 HBCU, Claflin University. I attended elementary and middle schools in Orangeburg, but for my high school years, I attended high school in one of the outlying towns in the county because our family decided to move a few miles down the road on land next to my maternal grandmother that had been deeded by my great-grandmother to her grandchildren, which included my mother. Having attended middle school school in Orangeburg itself, I was in for a bit of a shock when I began high school out in the "country" with a smaller enrollment and less of everything that I became used to. What really hurt was that there was no band, and I was consistently first- or (sometimes) second-chair trombone while in middle school, and now I wasn't going to really get to play it at all anymore--or so I thought. During my first year at my new high school (which began at 8th grade), representatives of a federally-funded program called Upward Bound whose local office was based at Claflin were at my school. I learned that I was eligible for the program (which was for low-income HS students or HS students whose parents didn't possess a bachelor's degree which is inclusive of a disproportionate amount of Black students) along with a couple of my other classmates and my parents were supportive of me becoming part of the program as well, which is essentially a college-prep program which includes on-campus living and learning during the summer for six weeks and one Saturday out of the month during the school year. Long story short, I can say without reservation that that Upward Bound was one of the best things to ever happen to me. The academic and cultural curriculum provided during the summer sessions supplemented my HS experience by providing things it was missing--like a BAND!--as well as a cultural trip at the end of every summer session and so on and so forth. That program benefited me in ways that are still palpable to this day, and the summer after I graduated high school, I was able to take summer school courses at Claflin for free. It especially helped me to come out of my shell socially since the program on Claflin's campus included all the public high schools in the county and the county to the north, which was about 7 or 8 schools. I'd be here all day telling you about the tangible and intangible benefits it provided me and I still look back on those days with a sense of fondness and nostalgia. So we're talking about a program that is typically found on HBCU or community college campuses in the South at least, which befitted high school students on many levels before they ever even entered college. And this is but one example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City