Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 07:33 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Bingo! My Birthplace of Marshall is nowhere near the level of any major city mentioned in this thread. It’s heyday is long gone. But there’s a rich Black culture there that still exist and really whats keeping the community still afloat is the legacy of its HBCU Wiley College.
Mad respect to you guys from Marshall! I learned much and gained a wonderful sense of appreciation of the place from the movie The Great Debaters, and its profile reminds me of my own hometown in some ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,048,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I was young and wild.
I'm sorry man I'm mostly just messing with you. I probably shouldn't have made that comment. But your responses are still quite entertaining I have to admit.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:23 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I'm sorry man I'm mostly just messing with you. I probably shouldn't have made that comment. But your responses are still quite entertaining I have to admit.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:13 AM

8,334 posts, read 5,492,671 times
[quote=CleverOne;58204679]
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post

Atlanta has a black population almost double than the other cities.I alwasy find it fascinating when people occasionally say Atlanta is more segregated but saying that does not show an accurate description.
For Example I live South in Clayton County. A county more than 60 black that was in the 1980's over 80% white. I know because I grew up from 16 tp 21 before going into Air Force.
Clayton gets a mad rap for a lot of things but its actually as diverse as any county in the metro.Its has alarge Hispanic and Asian population but its bloack population is extremely diverse as you have many Africans and Caribbeans lving in the area. So when you say segregated,it is int accept for some small mostly poor neighborhoods mixed in wihn some every upscale neighborhoods in Southwest Atlanta.

Houston is the same way but with Hispanics. We are so used to focusing on blakc and white we dont always notice how other races fit into the equation . Since Houston has a traditional Hispanic population its make up is different as it shows segrgation among Hispanic and black groups.
The difference between it and Atlanta is that you have two traditionally marginalized commnities of color
I know I said I was done on this thread (and I am for issues that are specific to the black community), but I saw this and I couldnt resist.

I will say that Houston definitely feels the most diverse and integrated of the three cities. All three metro areas have places that are diverse and integrated as well as neighborhoods that are segregated. But I feel that Houston has more of them.

Looking at the map you provided, its easy to see that the area of Houston that is the most diverse and integrated is Southwest Harris County, but you also have other neighborhoods that are mixed between races:

West Houston is a mix of white, Hispanic, and black
Northwest Houston is a mix of white, Hispanic, and black.
Northeast Houston is a mix of Hispanic and black
Southwest Houston within 610: white, Hispanic, black, and Asian

The only really segregated neighborhoods are:

South Central Houston: 3rd Ward, Sunnyside, and South Park: black
East Houston: 2nd ward, Denver Harbor, Magnolia Park, Harrisburg, Wayside, and Manchester: Hispanic
Southeast Houston: Gulfgate, Reveille Park, Meadowbrook, and Allendale: Hispanic
West Central Houston: River Oaks, Bunker Hill, Piney Point, and Afton Oaks: White
North Houston: Northside, Aldine, and Jensen: Hispanic

I would say that if you are looking for a mixed area, you would have more of them to choose from in Houston. I know Dallas and Atlanta certainly have them as well so Im not implying that either.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:09 PM

And here is some data on domestic migration and international immigration into the metro areas in question:

Domestic Migration into each metro area between July 2018 and July 2019 and their ranking in increases nationwide:
Dallas/Fort Worth: 46,601 (2nd largest in the US)
Atlanta: 31,760 (6th largest in the US)
Houston: 7,147 (36th largest in the US)

International Immigration into each metro area between July 2018 and July 2019 and their ranking in increases nationwide:
Houston: 31,746 (3rd largest in the US)
Dallas/Fort Worth: 20,064 (9th largest in the US)
Atlanta: 12,541 (13th largest in the US)

Old 05-28-2020, 05:27 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Mad respect to you guys from Marshall! I learned much and gained a wonderful sense of appreciation of the place from the movie The Great Debaters, and its profile reminds me of my own hometown in some ways.
Yeah man Marshall packs a lot of rich history especially for a city it’s size. It’s a shame how hard the city declined after the railroad industry expansion and discovery of oil. Not to mention the great migration affected the area greatly. Before then the city was one of the premier cities in the entire state of Texas and it’s Black population was considered the Black capital in the state .

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
And here is some data on domestic migration and international immigration into the metro areas in question:

Domestic Migration into each metro area between July 2018 and July 2019 and their ranking in increases nationwide:

International Immigration into each metro area between July 2018 and July 2019 and their ranking in increases nationwide:
Crazy how low Houston domestic migration is compared to the other 2. Considering for awhile it was right up there with those metros.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:36 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Wow...had no clue domestic migration to Houston had slowed so drastically. Looks like immgration and natural increase has become the growth engine of the metro area for the time being.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Wow...had no clue domestic migration to Houston had slowed so drastically. Looks like immgration and natural increase has become the growth engine of the metro area for the time being.
Two of the last five years, Houston actually lost domestic migrants. This actually isn’t bad. It’s not DFW or Atlanta, but even in the best of times it’s barely able to keep up. International immigration is the growth engine for the area. Houston also has a higher birthrate than DFW and a MUCH higher birthrate than Atlanta because its Hispanic population is much larger.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:16 PM

44 posts, read 33,277 times
Default Better Data than this poll

I ran a comparison on google trends which is a farr more accurate tool than a City Data Poll.
Here are the results>

1. popularity of searches for Real Estate>>.

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...q,%2Fm%2F03l2n

2. Popularity of all interests>>

Old 05-28-2020, 08:35 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To The Hills View Post
I ran a comparison on google trends which is a farr more accurate tool than a City Data Poll.
Here are the results>

1. popularity of searches for Real Estate>>.

2. Popularity of all interests>>
Yeh using this same tool add Settle,Denver,DC and they all are lower than Houston. Dont think this tool is very useful because hard to believe Houston is getting more interest because its interesting but more because people dont know a lot about Houston so they Google more.I actually think the CD poll ois better.

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...seattle,Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City