Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 08:48 PM

44 posts, read 33,306 times

Advertisements

The population is what throws it off. For instance Houston has 2.3 milliion people
compared to Atlanta at 500k. So more people are searching "Houston" or Dallas" because more people live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Yeh using this same tool add Settle,Denver,DC and they all are lower than Houston. Dont think this tool is very useful because hard to believe Houston is getting more interest because its interesting but more because people dont know a lot about Houston so they Google more.I actually think the CD poll ois better.

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...seattle,Denver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 08:52 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
There’s no “between Redlion and Dallasboi” because I never made the argument that Dallas Black culture was inferior because it lacked a large HBCU in the first place. He’s not even arguing with me about that. I’m honestly befuddled by his problem in the first place. Just look through the thread. I’ve actually defended and highlighted the Black community in DFW. So let’s not pretend he has some legitimate case against me.
I Apologize...Because I have to admit that I only read the previous page before my first post.

I did go back and read from the beginning and I did see some post that were very fair

Quote:
Dallas at least for the past 5 years feel like it's arriving more and more as a enjoyable hip Black hub on a national level. Trust me, a decade ago back when I was going to school in Waco (02-09) I would hit up Dallas every other weekend. Multiple friends and classmates that lived there, 2 ex gf's I was super familiar with the city. And back then when it came to social settings for Black people you had to ride around the metroplex to hit up the non hood spots. Deep Ellum had maybe 2 hip-hop clubs, downtown was a wash, Uptown wasn't even popping like that at the time for us. Even then I still liked Dallas and always enjoyed myself when I went out but Houston was just more of my taste in my 20's.

As I get older though there are a couple things I like about DFW more than Houston. And the black population is growing. We were there this past weekend and even though you have everything going on with covid and what not I do get the feeling that the Black community in DFW is on the trajectory up.

Quote:
Believe it or not there are Black people who prefer Dallas over Houston. More than you probably think. Especially when you start talking about family life, Dallas might start looking more favorable than Houston. Hell my Wife likes Dallas better than Houston and she’s a Houstonian. I got 2 friends who are Houstonian who prefer Dallas too. To be fair though, that could be a case of “I been living here my whole life and another city gives me something different”. Because I know plenty of Dallas people who prefer Houston over Dallas.

Bottom line it’s ppl that prefer Dallas and move here because they want. Houston and Dallas are not that farrr apart in what they offer amenity wise. And even though Houston has a more established and concentrated Black community than DFW, it’s not like DFW is like San Francisco or Portland. There’s still enough going on for Black ppl to enjoy what the area has to offer.
This was my favorite one.

......And if I had read it... I wouldn't have had the same approach to what I was responding to......What happen was... I was waiting to hear things that you had already said in the previous pages that I didn't bother to read......Totally my fault.

We don't have to be cool for me to admit I played this wrong.......even though I did point some good general things out in the process...Not towards you and your decision but in general about the Black communities in Dallas and Houston.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:47 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To The Hills View Post
The population is what throws it off. For instance Houston has 2.3 milliion people
compared to Atlanta at 500k. So more people are searching "Houston" or Dallas" because more people live there.
I still dont see how that makes this useful if it is based on population.Dallas has a much bigger population also but Atlanta is running almost neck and neck/
I added Philadelphia and its about the size of Houston but is dead last even when you add in Atlanta.
Here I added Boston and its last too
https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...delphia,boston

Last edited by CleverOne; 05-29-2020 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-29-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I Apologize...Because I have to admit that I only read the previous page before my first post.

I did go back and read from the beginning and I did see some post that were very fair

......And if I had read it... I wouldn't have had the same approach to what I was responding to......What happen was... I was waiting to hear things that you had already said in the previous pages that I didn't bother to read......Totally my fault.

We don't have to be cool for me to admit I played this wrong.......even though I did point some good general things out in the process...Not towards you and your decision but in general about the Black communities in Dallas and Houston.

LOL

I applaud you for being man enough to admit you were wrong.. Shows good character and humility.We have all been wrong on here but few will ever admit it.
There are some posters you have been saying the same misinformation for years and they are shown facts and figures left and right. They have there own agendas to keep a narrative going that suits there feelings. They have irrational biases that stem from a bad experience that was more about them as a person than a place .
People have a need to be validated about a decision they made but when its obvious their beliefs are illogical, they dig and find manipulative innovative ways repeat the same misinformation thinking people are smart enough to know what they are doing. They dont want to be informed. Thats not why they participate
I did wonder why you were so tough on him because I had only seen fairness myself

Old 05-29-2020, 10:26 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:

I tip my hat to you sir. We all get it wrong sometimes when it comes to these long-running threads and you haven't kept up with every post. Good for you for being mature about it instead of doing what many people are prone to do: dig their heels in and die on hills not worth dying on whatsoever.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:56 AM

Ill admit Im indifferent to Dallas. While Its not for me,I could see myslef living there and enjoying any of these cities.it may seem when we are making or case for our most favored cities, it may come across as the less favored cities are not worthy in certain metrics we discuss. Saying any major city is one dimensional as to only be attractive to a very small select group of people is downright ignorant but we cant ignore that there are some cities that have more to offer certain cultures than others where that culture has been assimilated in to the cities culture

Bottom line is ,if you are white,there is no major city in the US that you want feel you are not represented.
As a minority you have cities like Seattle,Portland ,Austin,Denver,San Francisco,Phoenix etc that have large populations of Asians or Hispanic or both,and they are never questioned or thought of as Asian or Hispanic.
Yet a city like Atlanta is labeled as just a city where black people go but when you see the facts its obviously not true.

Why is Dallas or Houston with their huge Hispanic population which is almost as much as Atlanta black population not thought of as a Hispanic mecca?
San Francisco as an Asian mecca?

Just some thoughts of mine. Maybe Im wrong but its what I see.Anything that is tto black tends to be labeled black even if its still overwhelmingly white

Old 05-29-2020, 11:29 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Bottom line is ,if you are white,there is no major city in the US that you want feel you are not represented.
As a minority you have cities like Seattle,Portland ,Austin,Denver,San Francisco,Phoenix etc that have large populations of Asians or Hispanic or both,and they are never questioned or thought of as Asian or Hispanic.
Yet a city like Atlanta is labeled as just a city where black people go but when you see the facts its obviously not true.

Why is Dallas or Houston with their huge Hispanic population which is almost as much as Atlanta black population not thought of as a Hispanic mecca?

Just some thoughts of mine. Maybe Im wrong but its what I see.Anything that is tto black tends to be labeled black even if its still overwhelmingly white
Interestingly enough, this Hispanic populations in Houston and DFW are bigger than the black population in Atlanta:

Houston/The Woodlands/Sugar Land MSA:
Hispanic - 37.6% - 2,632,586

Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington MSA:
Hispanic - 29.0% - 2,189,777

Atlanta/Sandy Springs/Roswell MSA:
Black - 33.8% - 2,009,862

To you second point, it is an interesting concept. I would say its a combination of the below factors:

1) Atlanta has the 2nd largest black population in the US by metro area. Houston has the 4th largest Hispanic population and DFW has the 5th. Maybe the higher rankings help?

2) Pop culture: Atlanta hosts a lot of black based pop culture events. It has the "Black Hollywood" thing going on with Tyler Perry and is very involved in the entertainment industry.

3) Marketing: Atlanta doesnt specifically market itself to black people, but I would imagine its marketing does appeal a lot to them. Dallas markets itself as a larger than life kind of place. Houston doesnt market itself seemingly at all.

4) It was given the title "Black Mecca" by Ebony Magazine in 1971.

Speaking specifically of Houston, it does celebrate diversity more so than the other two cities. The city always puts on festivals for seemingly every ethnicity. Houston's reputation seems to be of diversity as opposed to being a Mecca for one specific group. Of course, most of our growth is Hispanic and that will probably not change (same with DFW), but I cant see Houston changing course to be a Mecca for one group.

The way DFW celebrates itself is more in its Texan heritage rather than diversity. I would imagine that would appeal to white people more than other groups. None the less its still diversifying incredibly fast.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:51 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
LOL

I applaud you for being man enough to admit you were wrong.. Shows good character and humility.We have all been wrong on here but few will ever admit it.
There are some posters you have been saying the same misinformation for years and they are shown facts and figures left and right. They have there own agendas to keep a narrative going that suits there feelings. They have irrational biases that stem from a bad experience that was more about them as a person than a place .
People have a need to be validated about a decision they made but when its obvious their beliefs are illogical, they dig and find manipulative innovative ways repeat the same misinformation thinking people are smart enough to know what they are doing. They dont want to be informed. Thats not why they participate
I did wonder why you were so tough on him because I had only seen fairness myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I tip my hat to you sir. We all get it wrong sometimes when it comes to these long-running threads and you haven't kept up with every post. Good for you for being mature about it instead of doing what many people are prone to do: dig their heels in and die on hills not worth dying on whatsoever.
Quote:
Ill admit Im indifferent to Dallas. While Its not for me,I could see myslef living there and enjoying any of these cities.it may seem when we are making or case for our most favored cities, it may come across as the less favored cities are not worthy in certain metrics we discuss. Saying any major city is one dimensional as to only be attractive to a very small select group of people is downright ignorant but we cant ignore that there are some cities that have more to offer certain cultures than others where that culture has been assimilated in to the cities culture

I'm misunderstood on this forum most of the time...... I believe it was the OP who mentioned in one of his post that I think real people care about this Dallas vs Houston rivalry outside of city-data.....And the truth is it's actually the opposite......The people that I work with that are from Houston always say good stuff about Dallas and most of them transferred from the Houston branch because they preferred the Dallas atmosphere and different scenery.......

So when I see this rivalry on CD I just push for fair judgment because I know in real life most people who visit from Houston or move up here love it ...Some don't but most Do.

Witnessing Dallas being unfairly judged just for the heck of it in most threads with Dallas vs in the Title...I feel responsible to inject reality in the conversation which almost always end up looking like I'm targeting Houston....That's never my intent.

It's just always a Houstonian saying inaccurate stuff about Dallas, in the attempt to paint a different picture of what really exist.

I know every opinion is subjective but reality is reality.

..Sorry for all the run-on sentences....I just type as I'm thinking it.

Last edited by dallasboi; 05-29-2020 at 01:16 PM..

Old 05-29-2020, 03:03 PM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To The Hills View Post
The city of Atlanta is pretty small in land area. 135 square miles of land area with a population density of 3,669 people per square mile. The city of Houston is 600 square miles of land area with a population density of 3,500 people per square mile. That's why Atlanta for a big metropolitan area of 6 million has a small city population.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:39 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
I'm misunderstood on this forum most of the time...... I believe it was the OP who mentioned in one of his post that I think real people care about this Dallas vs Houston rivalry outside of city-data.....And the truth is it's actually the opposite......The people that I work with that are from Houston always say good stuff about Dallas and most of them transferred from the Houston branch because they preferred the Dallas atmosphere and different scenery.......
Lol that’s not what I said either. I said most people outside of city data don’t care about a Dallas vs. Houston rivalry. It’s not that serious as it is on City Data.

But hey you were Man enough to admit you were wrong 30 PAGES Later lmaooooo but it’s all good. No biggie SHEESH lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City