Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 12:19 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times

Advertisements

Clever one, you seem to be implying that Atlanta is more ethnically diverse than Dallas and Houston. Can you post the data here to prove that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 12:43 PM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
I dont think it is drastically different than Dallas or Houston in terms of diversity.

As a state, Texas is definitely Red, however; the major metro areas (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio) are all actually quite blue.

I will give Cleverone however the notion of Atlanta electing the first black Mayor however. I dont think that will be coming to Texas for some time despite its blue urban areas.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:43 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I think the case with Houston and even Dallas as it continues to become more diverse, is that they are generally very diverse areas, so not one type of person or culture defines the areas as a Mecca of any particular group. Most people can come here and thrive and have an enjoyable experience.
Well you may think that but there just isnt any data that says that.There is data that says the opposite however.
Dallas is way more segregated than Atlanta and apparently its getting worse:
https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...t-be-reversed/
Dallas ranks 58 out of 100 in Black White Segregation and Latino-Whit Segregation which is better but is behind Atlanta which ranks 41 Black/white and 26 Latino/White
https://www.urban.org/urban-wire/les...ore-prosperous
So like I said before,blacks can do fine there like anywhere but its got a lot to do before its seen as a place more welcoming to blacks than other places.
Houston is more in line with Atlanta according to the study.

Atlanta is as diverse a Dallas in the metro .At least not enough where you insisting Atlanta is "much more white and black" that it would matter.Nice try.
Most places you can go and thrive.Dallas is nothing special

Old 05-31-2020, 12:58 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I dont think it is drastically different than Dallas or Houston in terms of diversity.

As a state, Texas is definitely Red, however; the major metro areas (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio) are all actually quite blue.

I will give Cleverone however the notion of Atlanta electing the first black Mayor however. I dont think that will be coming to Texas for some time despite its blue urban areas.
Dallas and Atlanta are close to each other in diversity for the metro.

Houston is noticeably more diverse than both. The statistics do back that.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Houston is over 600 square miles vs 137 square miles for Atlanta. I've lived in both metros for over 5 years each and the segregation in Atlanta was very obvious the east side and southside for black folk. Latinos were in Gwinnett and parts of south cobb. White folks up north and west. I've been to visit and little change is evident. The most segregated area of metro Houston is The Woodlands Texas (think Peachtree City), north of Houston.
Why do you have to lie?
Gwinnett County is 30% black,21% Hispanic/Latino,12%Asian.
Cobb is 28% black,12% Hispanic/Latino ,5.6% Asian
Clayton County 72% Black,19%white.13%Hispanic and 5.2%
Fayette County is 67% white.24% Black,7.1% Hispanic and 5.3% Asian
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rgia/PST045219
How many counties in Dallas or Houston arre majority minority like Clayton County?
So obviously you dont know what you are talking about.

You are an obvious troll and have no shred of accurate contribution any thread you participate in.

Old 05-31-2020, 01:07 PM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Well you may think that but there just isnt any data that says that.There is data that says the opposite however.
Dallas is way more segregated than Atlanta and apparently its getting worse:
https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...t-be-reversed/
Dallas ranks 58 out of 100 in Black White Segregation and Latino-Whit Segregation which is better but is behind Atlanta which ranks 41 Black/white and 26 Latino/White
https://www.urban.org/urban-wire/les...ore-prosperous
So like I said before,blacks can do fine there like anywhere but its got a lot to do before its seen as a place more welcoming to blacks than other places.
Houston is more in line with Atlanta according to the study.

Atlanta is as diverse a Dallas in the metro .At least not enough where you insisting Atlanta is "much more white and black" that it would matter.Nice try.
Most places you can go and thrive.Dallas is nothing special
It is, but not by a tremendous amount.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rgia/PST045219

Alpharetta for example has a black population of 12.2% and a white population dominating at 67%.

Comparatively Plano has a black population of 8.4% and Frisco at 7.9% // then a white population of 65.6% in Plano and 67.2% in Frisco. The 'real' major differences is there are other races intermingled in there. Both Frisco and Plano have higher Hispanic percentages, and similar Asian demographics.

The real differences come in the city proper of Atlanta and Dallas where Atlanta is 50% black and 40% white (and this is also slowly changing due to gentrification in the core) where as Dallas is predominately white in the core with sprinkles of everything else. Add on to that Dallas encompassed a much larger area than Atlanta proper and the results get a bit skewed. Atlanta is definitely more progressive in terms of black culture than Dallas is but...that doesn't necessarily equal more diverse.

Old 05-31-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do realize. I used to work a mile south of the Cowboys new HQs in Frisco. I also lived in Atlanta. There is a portion of Dekalb county that is city of Atlanta property but not the case with the Cobb Center. The Cobb Center is in COBB County. No part of Atlanta's jurisdiction is in Cobb county The Home Depot's world headquarters have an Atlanta zip code but its in COBB County. I used to live off of the Perimeter and S. Atlanta Road. The venues in metro Atlanta have not kept up with the population growth. That's just a fact. Name all the performance venues and sports arenas/stadiums built in metro Atlanta since 2000 and I'll do the same for D/FW.

ATT Stadium Arlington - 90,000 in 2009
Globe Life Field Arlington- Texas Rangers 2020, 42,000
Dickies Arena Fort Worth 2019 - 14,000
UT Arlington Center 10,000, 2018 - WNBA Wings home arena
American Airlines Center Dallas - 22,000 2001
Dr. Pepper Ballpark Frisco - 2003 - Texas Rangers AA affiliate
University of North Texas Football Stadium - 2011
Winspear Opera House Dallas -2008
Ross Perot Museum of Nature and Science Dalla 2012
Museum of Modern Art Fort Worth - 2002
Wyly Performing Arts Dallas- 2008.
Dude you are really stretching. You think its ok for Dallas to have its sports teams not in Dalllas but think its a problem because Atlanta has its ball[ark and opera house technically in Atlanta.

Everyone of those things you mentioned Atlanta can match pound for pound

High Museum of Art expansion -2005
Suntrust Park-2018
Mercedes Benz Arrena-2017
State Farm Arena-2018 $200m renov
https://www.forbes.com/sites/timnewc.../#59a4bf9f2e3d

Infinite Energy Areana-13,000 2003
There is more like expansion teams on Gwinnet and even in College Park with teh NBA developmet league
College Football Hal of Fame,national Center of Human and Civl rights.Its ridiculous and you know. You proven you dont know what you are talking about

Old 05-31-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
The beltline isn't a true attraction as I was defining it. Its essentially a liner park. Dallas has added parks too. I'm talking about edifices like arenas and music halls. The GWCC is convention space is not an entertainment/sport venue. Pointing to hotel additions and a street car are not attractions. If we want to add that to discussion, metro Atlanta looks even less attractive. DFW's light rail line (5) street car lines (2), Commuter rail line(1) far exceed that of the Atlanta region. Altanta's layout is more like D.C. within the city but metro wise it has bad arterials which is why its traffic is really not good. Over the last 20 years, DFW has spent over $15 billion adding highway lanes and bridges to the area. This is why DFW has attracted more Fortune 500 companies than any metro area in the south. Expanding Hartsfield Jackson was smart but the airport's growth is problematic because is hemmed in but so much development around it. It took years to add that one runway, its fifth. DFW has 7 and capacity for 9 and a sixth terminal without worrying about eminent domain. Plus, DFW has Love Field and Cargo-only Alliance Airport, a hub for Amazon, Fedex and UPS.
As far as Dallas not having anything, that's not close to true. The new facilities are additions or upgrades replacing older facilities
wrong. wrong and wrong. We already gine through this with your buddy R010 and he was shown he didnt know what he was talking about either

Old 05-31-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Gosh... I wish Dallas had trails with direct access to residential, parks, food and retail. We sure don't have that anywhere (sarcasm).
Sarcasm but its sad because Dallas dloesnt have anyting like the Beltline. How many urbanism awards as Dallas won with its "trails" that dont take you anywhere?LOL

Old 05-31-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Harrisburg is exclusively Hispanic? I guess the 15% of the community that think they are black are confused then?
Reveille Park is 20% black, 8% while and 3 % Asian. Not the most diverse place on Earth but you are exaggerating on it being exclusively Hispanic.

As far as Settegast being exclusively black is a downright lie also add that neighborhood is 35% Hispanic.
Crestmont park is 16% Hispanic and riding.

You will be hard pressed to find a city that it's evenly integrated and Houston is no exception. However, in terms of integration Houston does a better job than most big metros out there. And that includes Atlanta and DFW.
You can't expect to name a few areas that area dominated by one race to show the city is not integrated. You have to look at the city as a whole and as a whole Houston is more integrated than most.
Actually it doesnt . At best its way beter than Dallas but equal with Atlanta according to the facts out there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City