Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 01:32 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
On the scale of the Beltline or Piedmont Park? I couldn't find it during my travels to Dallas.
Lots of beautiful parks and an expanding trail system that connects residents and visitors to neighborhoods, parks, shopping, restaurants, public transit and event venues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 04:44 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Lots of beautiful parks and an expanding trail system that connects residents and visitors to neighborhoods, parks, shopping, restaurants, public transit and event venues.
Oh wow. Thats so unique(sarcasm)

Old 06-01-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Oh wow. Thats so unique(sarcasm)
Exactly, so those things pointed out in Atlanta are no different than what other cities provide.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Exactly, so those things pointed out in Atlanta are no different than what other cities provide.
Tell that to your boy walker1962 since he was the one who started this whole tit-for-tat with the dumb and unsubstantiated assertion about Atlanta's supposed lack of sports and cultural venues.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:17 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Wrong. No matter how hard you try to diminish it, there is absolutely nothing comparable to the BeltLine in Dallas.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Tell that to your boy walker1962 since he was the one who started this whole tit-for-tat with the dumb and unsubstantiated assertion about Atlanta's supposed lack of sports and cultural venues.
Blasphemy!

Old 06-01-2020, 09:06 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Wrong. No matter how hard you try to diminish it, there is absolutely nothing comparable to the BeltLine in Dallas.
I think the Katy Trail has the potential to eventually be like the Belt Line in parts, but its not there yet. Its serving a different purpose at the moment.

I think we have to address the elephant in this room: Atlanta is just a lot prettier than Dallas or Houston. That makes it much easier for people to want to spend time outside. Thats not to say that Dallas and Houston dont have beauty to them. I always liked the prairie landscape that Dallas offered and actually prefer it to Houston's landscape. A bigger issue for Houston is that its an industrial city at heart. Almost all the Eastern half of our city is full of smoke stacks, factories, and refineries. Atlanta and Dallas dont have large swaths of the city that look like that. The industrial areas of the city are very close to the water which makes it hard to beautify or make Houston's beaches appealing to visit. There are still some really nice gems in Houston like Memorial, Hermann, and George Bush Parks and theres some nice forests to hike through too.

But its not like whats available around Atlanta.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
If that were true then it wouldn't b e so highly regarded and talked about in international urbanism circles if thats all it was.I hear nothing on the level of that about anything similar in Dallas

Old 06-01-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I think the Katy Trail has the potential to eventually be like the Belt Line in parts, but its not there yet. Its serving a different purpose at the moment.

I think we have to address the elephant in this room: Atlanta is just a lot prettier than Dallas or Houston. That makes it much easier for people to want to spend time outside. Thats not to say that Dallas and Houston dont have beauty to them. I always liked the prairie landscape that Dallas offered and actually prefer it to Houston's landscape. A bigger issue for Houston is that its an industrial city at heart. Almost all the Eastern half of our city is full of smoke stacks, factories, and refineries. Atlanta and Dallas dont have large swaths of the city that look like that. The industrial areas of the city are very close to the water which makes it hard to beautify or make Houston's beaches appealing to visit. There are still some really nice gems in Houston like Memorial, Hermann, and George Bush Parks and theres some nice forests to hike through too.

Actually Atlanta does have a lot fo that old industrial factories,smoke stacks . Especially on the Westside Beltline.I was just there yesterday in an area overgrown with foliage right off the Beltline. No doubt the will probably be lofts or something in the near future.
The Westside of Atlanta is very old with a lot of historic warehouses . Especially Northwest Atlanta near the Chattahoochiie River which is finally seeing hige development as well.
Dallas problem is that its got such a lare flood plain areas so close in town

Old 06-01-2020, 11:01 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Yeah, it's a totally different landscape. Our heavy industry was never as intense, and a lot of the historic brick industrial zones close to the core have already been repurposed. We used to have a Ford and two GM plants, but they're long gone. The oldest remaining heavy industry is the old Bell Bomber factory from WW2, in Marietta. It's now Lockheed-Martin's C-130 plant.

We really do appreciate the landscape and topography here, it's very much taken advantage of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City