Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 05:28 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
All three of them are doing far better than the national average yes.

Its just that Ive had many conversations with people on here that swore up and down that Houston would be the next Detroit. Truth is, the city is proving to be far more dynamic and economically diversified than given credit for.
Thats so stupid. I cant even imagine why anyone would even make such a comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 05:31 PM

44 posts, read 33,295 times
Default Atlanta

Yes, out of the 3 metros Atlanta is the prettiest it also has the best weather with the exception of winter which goes to Houston. Summers are definitely better in Atlanta.
So yes, the physical environment goes to Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta's new park they're building: Bellwood Quarry Westside Park

Definately agree Atlanta's just generally just a more gorgeous city between the three.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:23 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Spring and Fall it's really nice in Houston too.
I love the gulf coast weather from mid-september to Mid June
People ask how can people stand Houston summer.
I think the 9 straight months of nice weather more than makes up for it.
Yes ATL has a more bearable summer but it's still crazy hot in the summer and much less pleasant winters and early springs.

Houston in my opinion has more months of gorgeous weather than the other two

Old 06-03-2020, 07:26 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Yes ATL has a more bearable summer but it's still crazy hot in the summer and much less pleasant winters and early springs.

Well if you believe this then thats not true

Other cities near the top are some you might expect, such as San Diego, famous for its great weather, and parts of California's Central Valley. All of the top 10 are on the West Coast.

Other high-scoring cities, which also include several in the Southeast United States, include:

Seattle: 78 nice days per year
Portland: 74 nice days
Charlotte: 74 nice days
San Francisco: 73 nice days
Atlanta: 73 nice days
Jacksonville, Fla.: 71 nice days
Las Vegas: 68 nice day

Quote:
The criteria we used make the assumption that people prefer days with moderately warm temperatures, at least partial sunshine, a light breeze, low humidity and no precipitation. In other words, we're highlighting comfortable days that don't require a jacket, when you don't feel like you're stepping into a sauna, and when you won't get poured on or blown away.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:40 PM

163 posts, read 156,149 times
Appearance is based on one's taste. Personally I prefer fewer and smaller trees and the abundance of concrete of Dallas. I like driving on the freeways and seeing the city compared to nonstop forest. Atlanta has the better weather. Dallas is a lot hotter summers and seems colder in the winter. Atlanta has fantastic falls.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:59 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATXM&M View Post
Appearance is based on one's taste. Personally I prefer fewer and smaller trees and the abundance of concrete of Dallas. I like driving on the freeways and seeing the city compared to nonstop forest. Atlanta has the better weather. Dallas is a lot hotter summers and seems colder in the winter. Atlanta has fantastic falls.
Fall is a beautiful time for Atlanta.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:10 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Winters are not colder in Dallas though. It’s like a long Fall and early Spring and a much longer Summer. The fact that the deciduous trees are green longer throughout the year in Dallas is another indicator of the shorter winter season as well as average temps. There’s less winter precipitation on average and more warm days on average.

Houston has the best winter winter of the three of you like it to be warm.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:14 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Wow! Just....wow.

So now trees bad, concrete good? Got it.

Absolutely unbelievable.
lol no. The fact that the ATL posters is saying Dallas is all brown and concrete is just ridiculous. Dallas is a green city in a transitional area in the United States. My point was that there’s plenty of vegetation here and if Dallas were in the middle of a forest as Atlantans claim to love to be in, them we would be able to be set up the way we are here which is just fine.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:31 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Y'all DO know Atlanta isn't in the middle of a giant Redwood forest where the trees completely dwarf everything right? It's absolutely nothing like this:

But like this:

Even a bit further out before the skyscrapers come into view, there's plenty of asphalt and concrete in view to satisfy even the most zealous hardscape aficionados:

There's a good blend of the natural and built environments throughout most of the metro area.

I can appreciate the wide open vistas of flat cities also although in that case, my preference is for coastal cities where a lot of water is also in view. Bonus points for palm/palmetto and oak trees being a part of the natural landscape.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:10 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Houston has what? LOL Me personally I like Atlanta's weather out of all 3. Growing up in Northeast Texas i'm use to 4 seasons so I don't mind a nice cold winter as long as it's frigid. It never felt that way to me during Atlanta winters.

Springs in Houston do feel really good in Houston though. That's when it isn't raining like hell though. Hell it rain like crazy for a minute today. Had to pull over for a while it was so bad. That's Houston for you.

Also I'd like go back and talk about the "blandness" of Dallas and "ugliness" of Houston. Even though I think Atlanta is the prettiest of them all, Dallas has some nice areas with some uniqueness and beauty to them. I actually like the look of Dallas freeways more than the other 2. US 75 is probably my favorite stretch of highway. I also think Downtown Dallas has some dope architecture and has a nice clean ritzy look about it. I think the blandness comes from the gang of burbs that sit off the freeways. With the abundance of highways and freeways in Dallas and Houston and the way their built in Texas you just see more of those cities cons and pros from the roads.

Houston definitely has A LOT of ugly areas I won't lie. Houston would be 3rd on my list as far as attractiveness goes. It's a long stretch off freeways/interstates/highways that run through nothing but billboards/national chain establishments/ ghettos/etc. heading into downtown. That's I-45/ 69(59). When you got to Downtown Houston than it's pretty cool because you get some good views of Downtown. Once you get pass downtown driving on 69 it's a pretty cool drive from the Museum district to Greenway plaza/ Kirby. Once you get pass those areas though it gets right back to tacky old Houston from freeway views. I-10 probably has the best views and gives the cleanest impression of Houston. Not East of I-10 though, that's straight eye sore views. Anything west of I-10 reminds me a lot of clean suburbia DFW. You don't get the billboards up close or the tacky layout of businesses directly off the interstate. It's not like it's San Francisco or anything but it's different than what you get off 45. And especially the Eastern half of Houston.

Houston does have a lot of nice unique and even BEAUTIFUL neighborhoods in the Inner Loop and close to the Loop. And i'm not just talking beautiful relative to Houston but just in general. It's just unfortunate that Houston is surrounded by so many bad looking areas.

Last edited by Redlionjr; 06-03-2020 at 11:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City