Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 30 20.41%
Dallas 54 36.73%
Atlanta 63 42.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 12:00 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
lol no. The fact that the ATL posters is saying Dallas is all brown and concrete is just ridiculous. Dallas is a green city in a transitional area in the United States. My point was that there’s plenty of vegetation here and if Dallas were in the middle of a forest as Atlantans claim to love to be in, them we would be able to be set up the way we are here which is just fine.
No one said that until AFTER your absurd comments about Atlanta. The fact is I hear it all the time how green Atlanta is and how beautiful the natural of Atlanta is.I never hear anyone commenting on the natural beauty of Dallas.EVER.NEVER.
SO while it may not be completely brown, it is just not naturally an overall an appealing or noticeable landscape to most people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 06:45 AM

44 posts, read 33,266 times
Default Beauty

I would rate them like this. Neither are that well know for their beauty like many Western Cities are. Which one has homes with a better view?

1. Atlanta- It has the most hills, greenery.

2. Houston- Don't forget that many areas of Houston have a lush tropical feel with Palm Trees especially the Southeast side. Houston deffinitely has the most pools and more and more palm trees are being used all over. The north side is also a lush green forest of pine trees. Of course Houston has the Bay area and Galveston so it has the most water features by far.

3. Dallas- It's not ugly but it doesn't offer as much as the other 2. Dallas makes up for it with man made features, landscaping and by trying to keep clean.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:03 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Even though I think Atlanta is the prettiest of them all, Dallas has some nice areas with some uniqueness and beauty to them. I actually like the look of Dallas freeways more than the other 2. US 75 is probably my favorite stretch of highway. I also think Downtown Dallas has some dope architecture and has a nice clean ritzy look about it.
Yep, I agree with this. I remember actually being impressed with the highways in Dallas and I like the contemporary architecture also. It kinda puts me in the mind of a larger Charlotte in that way.

Quote:
Houston definitely has A LOT of ugly areas I won't lie. Houston would be 3rd on my list as far as attractiveness goes. It's a long stretch off freeways/interstates/highways that run through nothing but billboards/national chain establishments/ ghettos/etc. heading into downtown. That's I-45/ 69(59). When you got to Downtown Houston than it's pretty cool because you get some good views of Downtown. Once you get pass downtown driving on 69 it's a pretty cool drive from the Museum district to Greenway plaza/ Kirby. Once you get pass those areas though it gets right back to tacky old Houston from freeway views. I-10 probably has the best views and gives the cleanest impression of Houston. Not East of I-10 though, that's straight eye sore views. Anything west of I-10 reminds me a lot of clean suburbia DFW. You don't get the billboards up close or the tacky layout of businesses directly off the interstate. It's not like it's San Francisco or anything but it's different than what you get off 45. And especially the Eastern half of Houston.

Houston does have a lot of nice unique and even BEAUTIFUL neighborhoods in the Inner Loop and close to the Loop. And i'm not just talking beautiful relative to Houston but just in general. It's just unfortunate that Houston is surrounded by so many bad looking areas.
That's a shame. The industrial aspect of the landscape can be forgiven because that's pure economic activity right there, almost like a huge outdoor factory. But the things you mention are truly a shame because they ruin a nice natural coastal flora element that should result in greater visual appeal. Like if Charleston or Savannah was like that along the highways leading into those cities, that would destroy a good bit of their charm.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:32 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

Houston definitely has A LOT of ugly areas I won't lie. Houston would be 3rd on my list as far as attractiveness goes. It's a long stretch off freeways/interstates/highways that run through nothing but billboards/national chain establishments/ ghettos/etc. heading into downtown. That's I-45/ 69(59). When you got to Downtown Houston than it's pretty cool because you get some good views of Downtown. Once you get pass downtown driving on 69 it's a pretty cool drive from the Museum district to Greenway plaza/ Kirby. Once you get pass those areas though it gets right back to tacky old Houston from freeway views. I-10 probably has the best views and gives the cleanest impression of Houston. Not East of I-10 though, that's straight eye sore views. Anything west of I-10 reminds me a lot of clean suburbia DFW. You don't get the billboards up close or the tacky layout of businesses directly off the interstate. It's not like it's San Francisco or anything but it's different than what you get off 45. And especially the Eastern half of Houston.
For some insane reason, Texas cities put those mini-freeways, aka access roads, and billboards on the side of highways. Texas cities were about business and did not care about aesthetics and beauty, clearly. They could have but chose not too. I've been arguing this for a good decade now but feeders are pretty much mini freeways that invite blight with abandoned buildings, countless billboards, etc. I have seen many near accidents on these things. No other state has made an emphasis on feeder/access/service/frontage roads as much as Texas. Most of I-20 in the metroplex does it right. First impressions go a long way and most peoples first impressions to Houston coming from the airport is traveling down I-45. It's not a good look with abandoned buildings, large car dealerships, billboards, bunch of fast food and big box stores lining up and down the freeway fronting roads that have a speed limit of 40 and some of them 50.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:58 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
No one said that until AFTER your absurd comments about Atlanta. The fact is I hear it all the time how green Atlanta is and how beautiful the natural of Atlanta is.I never hear anyone commenting on the natural beauty of Dallas.EVER.NEVER.
SO while it may not be completely brown, it is just not naturally an overall an appealing or noticeable landscape to most people
hah...

Sorry I’d rather live in an urban landscape and not a forest. Seeing forest everywhere gets boring to me. In most cities, you can see the neighborhoods as you drive along the freeways.
The trees make Atlanta feel much smaller and actually rural in parts.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:04 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
Quote:
hah...

Sorry I’d rather live in an urban landscape and not a forest.
Sure.DALLAS-THE "Urban Landscape". Chicago,NYC,Philadelphia,San Francisco,Philadelphia,Washington D.C.,DALLAS.........
One of these is not like the other

Old 06-04-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
For some insane reason, Texas cities put those mini-freeways, aka access roads, and billboards on the side of highways. Texas cities were about business and did not care about aesthetics and beauty, clearly. They could have but chose not too. I've been arguing this for a good decade now but feeders are pretty much mini freeways that invite blight with abandoned buildings, countless billboards, etc. I have seen many near accidents on these things. No other state has made an emphasis on feeder/access/service/frontage roads as much as Texas. Most of I-20 in the metroplex does it right. First impressions go a long way and most peoples first impressions to Houston coming from the airport is traveling down I-45. It's not a good look with abandoned buildings, large car dealerships, billboards, bunch of fast food and big box stores lining up and down the freeway fronting roads that have a speed limit of 40 and some of them 50.
I think the frontage roads do serve their purpose by alleviating traffic on the freeway lanes and allows an opportunity to move businesses to that area for easy access. I appreciate the convenience of the frontage lanes, especially the U-Turn feature which is great planning. There’s actually sections of I-20 that are adding frontage roads, especially in Grand Prairie.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Sure.DALLAS-THE "Urban Landscape". Chicago,NYC,Philadelphia,San Francisco,Philadelphia,Washington D.C.,DALLAS.........
One of these is not like the other
So, we aren’t urban, don’t have trees and we are just brown and concrete. Trying to get a mental image of what you think Dallas is like... I guess I’m the one making “absurd” comments.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:52 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
I think the frontage roads do serve their purpose by alleviating traffic on the freeway lanes and allows an opportunity to move businesses to that area for easy access. I appreciate the convenience of the frontage lanes, especially the U-Turn feature which is great planning. There’s actually sections of I-20 that are adding frontage roads, especially in Grand Prairie.
I have nothing bad to say about U-Turns. Those are great. But outside of alleviating traffic when it's backed up on the main highway, I see no purpose for them personally. The easy access adds to the ugliness and suburban look of the area. Thankfully, you don't see this in Atlanta which they happen to have kept their natural look of the area.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:37 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
I tried to stay out out this....But you guys are not fixing to downplay Dallas like this......Just wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City