Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is St. Louis closer in stature to?
Memphis 105 66.46%
Chicago 22 13.92%
More in the middle 31 19.62%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 09:36 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,560,191 times

Advertisements

I’ve spent time in all three cities. My opinion is that—although there are a select few similarities between St Louis and Chicago, and a few between St. Louis and Memphis—all three cities are really quite different from one another in most aspects. It’s kind of like comparing a Boeing 747, a mid-size private jet, and a Cessna; sure, they all fly, but they are in totally different classes. If it was an option, I would’ve voted “not much like either.” But my vote went for “more in the middle.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 03:49 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Come on back to Memphis again We'll love to have you Compare a recent visit to the last time you where here

For the purpose of this thread tho We Have to look at a few Facts. I like St Louis as much as the next guy but
-Not only did Memphis outperform St Louis Economicaly last year
-Memphis also grew Faster in Population
And the only Reason St Louis remains in the top 20 Metro Areas is because Baltimore unexpectedly slowed down in Population growth last year as Baltimore was projected to overtake St Louis and a lot of People in St Louis was nervous about that... So St Louis got a stay of execution. But let's not Kid ourselves St Louis will remain in the Top 20 metros for 5 years MAX Before it inevitably falls out
You are really grasping at straws here... what does any of the end of that have to do with this thread? St. Louis still is top 20 right now, and even when it isn't, is it because Chicago or Memphis bumped it down? Well let's see, Chicago is already 3rd (and looking in its rear view mirror) so nope, and Memphis is... 43rd! and hardly growing at that, so good luck...

What about GDP as you suggested? Here's a lazy wiki list from 2018-2012

22 St. Louis, MO-IL (Metropolitan Statistical Area) 169,839 161,281 157,716 155,377 150,667 146,336 142,184

48 Memphis, TN-MS-AR (Metropolitan Statistical Area) 76,749 73,289 71,088 69,318 66,910 65,875 65,186

Hmmm...

Old 05-14-2020, 10:16 AM

472 posts, read 346,532 times
Just to preface- I'm from the exurbs of Memphis- I've been to STL a couple of times (really enjoy it, especially the library).
Culture: STL feels more culturally similar to Chicago to me (I've only been to Chicago once though!). Memphis is a lot more delta southern. STL is rustbelt midwestern to me. I think STL may be slightly more international compared to Memphis nowadays- especially with WashU (Whoever said St. Louis U was Ivy comparable is not correct, not to say SLU isn't good, but it is on a totally different playing field compared to WashU; Memphis has Rhodes, but it is so small that it really isn't comparable either - although UT health is there but still...)

People:Folks from STL seemed pretty middle america to me, really loved it. I thought the people in Chicago were a bit more erratic and in a hurry. The people in STL on the whole felt more similar to Memphians to me- Memphians jsut have more of a southern flair.

Economy: Memphis. STL's economy has not recovered well from 08' and I think it is recovering slower compared to Memphis or Chicago. Chicago's economy is also on a whole different level.

Crime: They all suck... The suburbs of Memphis are fine- Germantown, Collierville, Horn Lake, Eads; I will say though that Cordova and Barlett aren't great but not bad either. I'm not familiar with burbs in STL or Chitown but I assume it is comparable to Memphis. All three of these cities are terrible.

Layout: Can't tell. Gun to my head, STL is more similar to Chicago, but honestly all are so differently structured.

Importance: Controversial take, but I actually think Memphis has been more culturally important to the US than STL. Not to besmirch STL, I really like the city and almost moved there, but it doesn't have the kind of cultural impact that Memphis has had. I think Chicago has had the effect that one would expect of its size but Memphis, NOLA, Nashville- these cities have had an out-sized effect on America- especially in music, arts, culture, and cuisine.

Appearance: STL is the prettiest of these 3 cities in my opinion. I guess it appears more like Chicago, but personally, I think it is nicer looking compared to the other two.

Housing: No idea.

Activities: I'm not terribly familiar with what Chitown has to offer. Memphis has a lot for a city of its size but I do think STL offers a lot as well. Gonna just pass on this one but default to saying STL is closer to Memphis in terms of entertainment and activities than it is to Chicago.

I think STL, on the whole, is slightly closer to Memphis I guess, but for a lot of stuff its right in the middle (geographically and comparison wise!)

Old 05-14-2020, 10:46 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Memphis by a mile. I personally never hear anyone "compare" St. Louis to Chicago, although I do hear them talked about together from time-to-time, related to their Midwestern connection (or even baseball rivalries).

Old 05-14-2020, 01:41 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
You are really grasping at straws here... what does any of the end of that have to do with this thread? St. Louis still is top 20 right now, and even when it isn't, is it because Chicago or Memphis bumped it down? Well let's see, Chicago is already 3rd (and looking in its rear view mirror) so nope, and Memphis is... 43rd! and hardly growing at that, so good luck...

What about GDP as you suggested? Here's a lazy wiki list from 2018-2012

22 St. Louis, MO-IL (Metropolitan Statistical Area) 169,839 161,281 157,716 155,377 150,667 146,336 142,184

48 Memphis, TN-MS-AR (Metropolitan Statistical Area) 76,749 73,289 71,088 69,318 66,910 65,875 65,186

Hmmm...
That's the Point!! A City Like Memphis Hardly Growing BEAT St Louis (which decreased) in population estimates last year. which makes this thread, this premise a bit silly imo
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...s-msas-18.html

2010-2019
Memphis gain +29000
St Louis gain + 15000
That Means Memphis outdid St Louis in Population growth. TECHNICALLY Since Chicago has decreased over the same period, Memphis is the Fastest growing City of This Bunch

You have to go the U.S conference of Mayor's 2018-2019 report not wiki to see that Memphis GDP grew a bit faster last year

Old 05-14-2020, 02:23 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
I think the biggest difference between Chicago and St. Louis is size and pace. There are so many cultural and architectural differences between Memphis and St. Louis like the bible belt vs middle America. Delta vs rust belt. Catholic vs Southern Baptist. The sense of community (place) are not as close as they are between St. Louis and Chicago. Only way that I would write Memphis and St. Louis are closer together is in size and distance.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 05-14-2020 at 02:51 PM..

Old 05-14-2020, 03:15 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
That's the Point!! A City Like Memphis Hardly Growing BEAT St Louis (which decreased) in population estimates last year. which makes this thread, this premise a bit silly imo
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...s-msas-18.html

2010-2019
Memphis gain +29000
St Louis gain + 15000
That Means Memphis outdid St Louis in Population growth. TECHNICALLY Since Chicago has decreased over the same period, Memphis is the Fastest growing City of This Bunch

You have to go the U.S conference of Mayor's 2018-2019 report not wiki to see that Memphis GDP grew a bit faster last year
Ok... but do you get how unimportant your point is to the discussion? As you said, Chicago lost people (so does STL beat Chicago then?), but it's still Chicago, heck, Paris has lost population through various points in history too, but it's still Paris... I'm not saying any of these are like Paris, so let's not go crazy, but by the numbers in your post, a 14000 person difference over 9 years... Memphis is less than half the size of St. Louis, do you have any idea how long it'll take to catch St. Louis at that rate?

Just cherry picking moments, like 1 year intervals, and ignoring the status as a whole doesn't make a great argument.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:01 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I think the biggest difference between Chicago and St. Louis is size and pace. There are so many cultural and architectural differences between Memphis and St. Louis like the bible belt vs middle America. Delta vs rust belt. Catholic vs Southern Baptist. The sense of community (place) are not as close as they are between St. Louis and Chicago. Only way that I would write Memphis and St. Louis are closer together is in size and distance.
Yes, Size and Pace

St Louis: Nice Areas, Run down Areas, Bombed Out (looking) Areas, Plenty of Hidden Gems/More to do than in Memphis, OVERALL VIBE: Sleepy

Memphis : Nice Areas, Run Down Areas, No part of the City looks like it's been hit with bombs but Boarded up House's; Abandoned Apartment Complexes here and there, Active Downtown/Midtown, Beale Street, OVERALL VIBE : Festive
(Maybe not in 2008, But definitely true in the 2020's)

Now if that's Not the TRUTH I don't know what it is, I've Said My Piece, I'm Done With This

Old 05-14-2020, 06:46 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Memphis has seldom really been prominent in our national consciousness, while St. Louis, and especially Chicago, have long been centers of attention. Maybe it's not entirely fair, but I've never really given the city much thought , and other than MLK and Elvis, it's not often in the national spotlight, for any reason.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:18 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
St. Louis is often compared to these two cities. Is it closer in stature to Chicago or Memphis?

Culture:
People:
Economy:
Crime:
Layout:
Importance:
Appearance:
Housing:
Activities:
In statue STL compare to MEM

In type of city STL compare more to Chitown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City