Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What US Cities Will Boom in the 2020s?
Salt Lake City 68 45.95%
Omaha 13 8.78%
Louisville 15 10.14%
Richmond 16 10.81%
Jacksonville 24 16.22%
Other City 54 36.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 09:15 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The way I see it the only city that boomed in the true sense of the word last decade was Austin. All the other boom cities basically saw healthy growth, but non of them fundamentally changed the way Austin did, their's probably smaller metros with Austin-esque numbers, Boom meaning 25%+ growth as well as the changes Downtown usually associated with booming or around that, metros certainly got close though.

Raleigh and Orlando are close of the major metros going on 2020 though I honestly think Orlando and SLC are the most likely to boom, and Austin might continue to boom. The reason why I mention Orlando is that it's hemmed in by connected metros and it's only a matter of time till many of these 3-5 metros in the Greater Orlando area actually enter the fold, and as they connect and stop being seen as separate areas it will lead to Orlando being seen as a much larger area than it is. Same with Salt Lake, once Salt Lake County isn't seen as the metro area but the core of a much larger area you know the area has boomed, Obviously adding counties doesn't count as real growth but if Orlando is seen more as a city of 6-7 million by next decade due to the adjacent MSA's being seen as exurbs/satellite cities rather than nearby towns/cities, then it will see a boom and seem much bigger because perception often leads to reality.

SLC is already seen as bigger than many of it's peers because it anchors an area of 2.4 million people that growing pretty rapidly, if that area is 3 million by 2030, and they grow connected enough to be considered one MSA, like I said above a similar thing will happen.
SLC's metro area is NOWHERE near being 2.4 million. The 2019 census data estimated MSA was 1.22 million. The city itself has a population barely at 250,000. Bryan/College Station, home of Texas A&M totals 273,000. I've been to both markets and SLC is more cosmopolitan and has larger suburban areas but it still felt slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 09:23 AM

6,724 posts, read 6,718,975 times
California is responsible for Phoenix and Las Vegas, and with 40 million people can fuel Salt Lake's growth past cities in the East and Midwest. Boise is benefitting from this as well.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:08 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
SLC's metro area is NOWHERE near being 2.4 million. The 2019 census data estimated MSA was 1.22 million. The city itself has a population barely at 250,000. Bryan/College Station, home of Texas A&M totals 273,000. I've been to both markets and SLC is more cosmopolitan and has larger suburban areas but it still felt slow.
MSA is a poor way of measuring a cities true size imo. Ogden to SLC to Provo is one continuous city with no break in development. SLC feels and looks much closer to a city of 2.4M than one that’s 1.2M. It’s a lot like LA-Inland Empire or The Bay Area in that way.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:18 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
MSA is a poor way of measuring a cities true size imo. Ogden to SLC to Provo is one continuous city with no break in development. SLC feels and looks much closer to a city of 2.4M than one that’s 1.2M. It’s a lot like LA-Inland Empire or The Bay Area in that way.
Can I ask why it feels that way to you?

2.4M is comparable to Pittsburgh, Portland, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Austin, etc.

1.2M is comparable to New Orleans, Richmond, Louisville, Buffalo, etc.

It feels in the middle to me...

Old 06-14-2020, 01:02 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,998,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Can I ask why it feels that way to you?

2.4M is comparable to Pittsburgh, Portland, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Austin, etc.

1.2M is comparable to New Orleans, Richmond, Louisville, Buffalo, etc.

It feels in the middle to me...
Cause it is. Provo shouldn't be counted and Ogden is debatable. I knew a few ppl who commuted from Ogden to SLC when I lived there, they had to do it because Ogdens economy was struggling at the time. Trust me, they weren't happy commuters. I remember asking about commuting from Provo and people snickered at the idea of doing that commute. I haven't lived there in years, but it very much felt like three distinct metros except Ogden and SLC had some overlap.
Also, a lot of people there talked about Vegas like Vegas was the big brother to SLC, you don't do that if you're a peer city.

Edit: voted other
I put Orlando over all those cities

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 06-14-2020 at 01:18 PM..

Old 06-14-2020, 01:03 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
The SLC-Provo-Orem CSA, consisting of three adjoining MSAs along I-15, has a population of 2.4M. This is a density map of the area which clearly shows it to be a singular region even if broken up statistically due to the way its geography impacts local commute patterns when considering things on an MSA level.

Old 06-14-2020, 01:48 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
I said anchors an area of 2.4 million people. SLC is very likely to add counties to its MSA due to its geography the valley in the core is almost completely built out and with proper infrastructure like the north to south rail already there it could easily become a linear MSA in a few decades once some of SW portions of the valley get built out northern Provo-Orem and Southern Ogden MSAs will eventually become SLC centric if SLC continues to be the dominant city in the region as well as have the dominant suburbs. I’ve seen some of the plans for Sandy and I’m personally surprised Davis County doesn’t get given to SLC soon. As the area hits 3 million with St. George growing gangbusters down the road I expect the 3 MSAs to merge into one. Even a place like Summit County I expect to eventually join the MSA.

Old 06-14-2020, 01:55 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,998,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
California is responsible for Phoenix and Las Vegas, and with 40 million people can fuel Salt Lake's growth past cities in the East and Midwest. Boise is benefitting from this as well.
Most Utah growth comes from within Utah, and that's not changing. California won't be fueling much of it's growth.
California is definitely helping with the Boise boom, however

Old 06-15-2020, 02:33 PM

130 posts, read 86,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Most Utah growth comes from within Utah, and that's not changing. California won't be fueling much of it's growth.
California is definitely helping with the Boise boom, however
I know many Californians that have moved here for jobs. There will always be a high birth rate but as more people realize that SLC isn’t that religious anymore there will be higher growth from other states.

Very few cities come close when it comes to outdoor recreation and big city amenities.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:39 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallVegan View Post
I know many Californians that have moved here for jobs. There will always be a high birth rate but as more people realize that SLC isn’t that religious anymore there will be higher growth from other states.

Very few cities come close when it comes to outdoor recreation and big city amenities.
Depends on what youre talking about.

Salt Lake City by itself isnt that religious and is pretty liberal. When the entire metro area is accounted for, that is not the case at all though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City