Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 07:36 PM

210 posts, read 199,087 times

Advertisements

I would think St Pete cleans up every category except job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 03:00 AM

323 posts, read 259,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitajamboree View Post
I like this comparison, though it is difficult to separate cities from their satellite areas. If we are solely comparing the city areas themselves:

Nightlife/Entertainment - St. Pete. The downtown is really great and the opening of the new Pier really upped everything.

Neighborhoods - Orlando. Outside of downtown and Old Northeast, St Pete is older, grimier, and not as well cared for as Orlando.

Cuisine - Orlando. Don't get me wrong, St Pete has really good options here too, but I do think that Orlando has the edge.

Job Market - Orlando. St Pete is much more residential and older overall. Plus there are quite a few corporate offices in Orlando that St Pete just doesn't have, and probably never will with Tampa being so close.

Outdoor activity. - St Pete. However, it really does depend on the individual. If beaches and water aren't your thing, I could see Orlando having a leg up here.

Affordability. Orlando. St Pete is pricey and you get less for your $ than in Orlando.

Now, all of that said, I prefer St Pete to Orlando any day. Even though in my comparison, Orlando wins out, that does not mean that St Pete is bad/ poor in any of the categories.
You couldn't be more right about that Pier... That was a game changer for downtown. I got drunk at the Pier bar last weekend, great times...lool

Old 12-02-2021, 04:33 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
St. Pete, for sure, to live. Orlando is close enough to visit its attractions regularly.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:37 PM

860 posts, read 1,356,991 times
St. Petersburg has a more cohesive urban footprint than most other Florida cities. It's not a Euclidian nightmare to the degree of Orlando, Fort Lauderdale etc... Downtown, the gulf, the neighborhoods, all aspects that are better than Orlando. I have to say however, downtown Orlando is quite pleasant, as are SOME of the immediate surrounding areas... that said, it has a downtown and urban footprint comparable to Dayton, Oh in size. Orlando anchors a metro of over 2.5 million but on the ground looks like a city between 750,000-1.5 million people with a giant resort area attached to it. It has more work ahead of it than St. Pete IMO, because St Pete can catch the wave of it's 2 sister cities. It may be one of the most underrated cities in the country actually.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
St. Petersburg has a more cohesive urban footprint than most other Florida cities. It's not a Euclidian nightmare to the degree of Orlando, Fort Lauderdale etc... Downtown, the gulf, the neighborhoods, all aspects that are better than Orlando. I have to say however, downtown Orlando is quite pleasant, as are SOME of the immediate surrounding areas... that said, it has a downtown and urban footprint comparable to Dayton, Oh in size. Orlando anchors a metro of over 2.5 million but on the ground looks like a city between 750,000-1.5 million people with a giant resort area attached to it. It has more work ahead of it than St. Pete IMO, because St Pete can catch the wave of it's 2 sister cities. It may be one of the most underrated cities in the country actually.
Spot on.

Old 12-04-2021, 08:18 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,281,879 times
St. Petersburg is the better city. Orlando is actually pretty good too, but it can’t compete with St. Pete’s waterfront.

The main drawback to St. Pete is it doesn’t have decent public schools. If I had school age children and were choosing between the two I’d be forced to pick Orlando.

Old 12-04-2021, 08:45 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
St. Petersburg is the better city. Orlando is actually pretty good too, but it can’t compete with St. Pete’s waterfront.

The main drawback to St. Pete is it doesn’t have decent public schools. If I had school age children and were choosing between the two I’d be forced to pick Orlando.
Another feature of Orlando is that nice neighborhoods flow out from Downtown in 3 directions. Some are very nice, with brick streets, beautiful historic homes, gorgeous old-growth like oaks and lakes seemingly around every corner. Orlando spends a lot of money to keep the neighborhoods looking good, and it shows. As much as I love St. Pete, I think the large majority of close-in neighborhoods in Orlando are much nicer.

Old 07-11-2022, 12:45 AM

St. Petersburg has pulled so far ahead of Orlando that I think its a blowout, and I really enjoy Orlando...but St. Pete is special.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:39 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
St. Petersburg is on my part time winters list. I am so curious about Orlando now since reading so many positive posts. I may have to visit again without children.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:47 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
St. Petersburg is on my part time winters list. I am so curious about Orlando now since reading so many positive posts. I may have to visit again without children.
Be sure to visit the actual city: Downtown, Lake Eola Heights, South Eola, Thornton Park, Audubon Park, Baldwin Park, Colonialtown (North and South). You'll get a completely different feel for the place versus sticking to the usual tourist traps South of the Turnpike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
St. Petersburg has pulled so far ahead of Orlando that I think its a blowout, and I really enjoy Orlando...but St. Pete is special.
Downtown St-Pete is... The rest of the city is a little iffy though. Large swaths of Orlando are too, but they seem to be more secluded. It's why overall, I think it's quite close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City