Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which island would you like to live on and why?
Hawaii islands 41 65.08%
Puerto Rico 9 14.29%
USVI 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 08:43 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Actually, that is exactly what I would’ve voted for. Guam is not as expensive as Hawaii, due to lower housing demand.
BTW, you also omitted American Samoa.
Lol and also NMI...I have always been very intrigued with Saipan. Anyway, Hawaii is my pick but Guam, NMI and American Samoa I would really like to visit them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 10:34 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,498,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Between these, I would go with Hawaii, but overall for tropical U.S. island I would go with the Florida Keys.

The USVI and Puerto Rico are beautiful but are effectively Third World countries with Third World standards in terms of health care and public safely. Puerto Rico especially is very dangerous, almost like Mexico, outside the tourist resorts. Also like Mexico, you have to be careful about the food and water in Puerto Rico if you're not in a major resort. Also most of Puerto Rico is NOT fluent in English.

Hawaii is wonderful but VERY isolated and not just from the mainland. You have to take a plane just to go from one island to another since there's not even ferries linking them, though you can see Maui from the Big Island. Even the Big Island is only an hour to drive across. Everything is expensive because it must be shipped from the mainland.

The Florida Keys are effectively its own tropical paradise that's not as isolated as Hawaii and everything is up to American standards. The Middle Keys around Marathon and Big Pine Key are my favorite parts. Key West is too crazy and too overrun with tourists (especially when cruise ships are docked), same with Key Largo since its the first island by the mainland.
Wow, this entire paragraph is completely inaccurate.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:52 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,971,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Lol and also NMI...I have always been very intrigued with Saipan. Anyway, Hawaii is my pick but Guam, NMI and American Samoa I would really like to visit them all.
I've been to all but American Samoa. Saipan and the CNMI is beautiful, but poor and has only basic health care and limited shopping. Guam is a little better off and still beautiful, but limited on health care, schools, shopping (though better than Saipan). USVI has some nice parts, but crime is really high and health care/shopping is limited there as well. At least it's a relatively short trip to the mainland. Puerto Rico has adequate health care and shopping. It's infrastructure is actually better than the rest of the Territories, but still below the level of the states. Crime is high and the economy is not great.

That leaves an easy choice for me- Hawaii. Oahu has most on the conveniences of the mainland, it's wealthy, and has low crime The advantage is less for the other islands in Hawaii, but I'd still probably pick them over the Territories if money was not a factor. If money was a factor, I might go with Guam.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:10 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
My only hesitation about Hawaii is the isolation.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:43 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
I am not sure if it's still that way, but I Loved the tranquility of St John USVI. Almost the entire island is a national park. Love the beauty and peaceful nature of that island.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:50 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,667,412 times
For a visit... Puerto Rico. But to live, almost definitely Hawaii.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:45 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I am not sure if it's still that way, but I Loved the tranquility of St John USVI. Almost the entire island is a national park. Love the beauty and peaceful nature of that island.
I hope it's still that way. It's a gorgeous and peaceful place.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:06 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times
I haven't been to Virgin Islands, but Hawaii by a landslide.

This would have been a comparison BEFORE I went to Hawaii, but since I've been, no contest.

The VIBE is just completely different from Puerto Rico.

Although you could argue in terms of pure natural beauty it's closer, Puerto Rico is basically city/rural life on an island.

Hawaii is island life on an island.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:32 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
None of the above, as island fever would set in for me within 6 months...but from choices, Honolulu, and only Honolulu. The rest of Hawaii (even Hilo) and USVI would have me feeling like Tom Hanks in Castaway. San Juan has suffered too much devastation in recent years.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:01 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
I would rather Puerto Rico, Hawaii seems too expensive for what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City