Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is most beautiful?
Maine 15 50.00%
New Brunswick/Prince Edward Island 3 10.00%
Nova Scotia 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 03:52 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,815,031 times

Advertisements

If I had to rank the Top 10 places I'd consider the most beautiful in these 4 entities, it'd go:
(1) Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor
(2) Cape Breton Highlands
(3) Mount Katahdin
(4) Cabot Trail
(5) Portland Head Lighthouse
(6) Penobscot Bay (not included above)
(7) Bay of Fundy
(8) Old Town Lunenburg (not included above)
(9) Annapolis Royal and Annapolis Valley
(10) Portland, Old Port

Maine: 5
Nova Scotia: 4
New Brunswick: 1
Prince Edward Island: 0

That said, if I were in the area, I'd also take a definite detour to Perce Rock, Forillon National Park and the White Mountains of New Hampshire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 02:14 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,187 times
I didn't vote, because I couldn't make a decision. They're all incredibly beautiful with fantastic coasts. A good friend has a vacation property right on the Bay of Fundy in Digby, Nova Scotia. Highest tides in the world and quite common to see whales swim by.

What the poster upthread said was interesting: that inland Maine beats inland Nova Scotia. That may be true, but the Annapolis Valley in NS is nothing to sniff at.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:29 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Oh so many places on the list that sound so exciting and I want to visit but I cannot right now due to the closed border and/or mandatory quarantine. Planned a trip to Maine/New Brunswick around 4th of July but it looks increasingly likely it will be a no go. No fair!

Old 06-02-2020, 02:08 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Maine's the most well rounded of the bunch seeing as it has a great coastline in addition to mountains and lakes. So I'd give it an edge on that front.

But overall, I like Nova Scotia the best. I think the Cape Breton Highlands are absolutely stunning, and I'd give them the nod over Acadia. Subjectively, I think it's more beautiful than Acadia. Objectively, it's far less visited than Acadia which means less grappling with other tourists. I also think Halifax is far and away the best city between Maine, NB/PEI and Nova Scotia. I like Portland and St. John (the two have a lot in common, actually) a lot, but Halifax is clearly the more significant metro area of the bunch and it's vibrant and unique. So for me, NS has the best natural feature (Cape Breton Highlands) and the best city (Halifax). Maine would be my number 2, then NB/PEI.

Old 06-02-2020, 02:13 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
I would love to take the high speed ferry from Portland to Halifax on a future trip up there.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:16 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Tough choice, all offer something, but I chose New Brunswick and PEI.

I haven't been to either, so my knowledge is through photos, and family and friends who have lived there.

When I think of New Brunswick I think of the expansive sandy beaches, and cottages that align them. Part of the attraction is the lack of crowds.

PEI. Well, ever since I held up the cardboard cut out of PEI in our Grade 3 assembly play about Canada, I've been wanting to go. The red/pink sand beaches, the red earth, the rolling green hills, and of course Charlottetown.

Charlottetown holds more interest to Canadians since that is where The Dominion of Canada was created in 1867.
And Newfoundland would not join Canada until 1949, compelled by post-war economic necessity. The previous 2 elections to join Canada shortly after Confederation were not successful.

Newfies have emigrated to Alberta to work in the tar sands. Some of them were able to immigrate to Houston, the Energy capital. My neighborhood has quite a few Newfies!

Old 06-08-2020, 06:27 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
If I had to rank the Top 10 places I'd consider the most beautiful in these 4 entities, it'd go:
(1) Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor
(2) Cape Breton Highlands
(3) Mount Katahdin
(4) Cabot Trail
(5) Portland Head Lighthouse
(6) Penobscot Bay (not included above)
(7) Bay of Fundy
(8) Old Town Lunenburg (not included above)
(9) Annapolis Royal and Annapolis Valley
(10) Portland, Old Port

Maine: 5
Nova Scotia: 4
New Brunswick: 1
Prince Edward Island: 0

That said, if I were in the area, I'd also take a definite detour to Perce Rock, Forillon National Park and the White Mountains of New Hampshire.
The thing with Prince Edward Island is it's hard to pinpoint one single place or area as a standout landmark that would rank as most beautiful in a top 10 compiled list. It's the island's combination of bucolic charm, pastoral rolling landscapes, lobster shacks next to small coves, red sandstone and red earth, sand bars and beaches, and super friendly locals that make you want to stick around longer. It's doesn't have the wow factor of the Cabot Trail or Acadia NP, but the subtle charms found really everywhere on the island that make it stand out for a really enjoyable stay. New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Maine have a lot of similar comparisons. PEI looks different.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-08-2020 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City