Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Midwestern city suffered the most due to racial conflict?
Chicago 23 27.71%
MSP 2 2.41%
Cincinnati 6 7.23%
Indianapolis 0 0%
Kansas City 1 1.20%
Cleveland 6 7.23%
Columbus 0 0%
Milwaukee 9 10.84%
Grand Rapids 0 0%
St Louis 36 43.37%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 12:06 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I say St. Louis. Wtf is going on there.
Same thing that goes on across America. St. Louis case may just be more acute than others for several reasons that are locally and nationally relevant. As you can see. Minneapolis, which is probably the most progressive Midwestern city, is up in flames right now and this may actually be worse than Ferguson. Chicago and Detroit have had several race riots and probably only a matter of time before they have more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 02:27 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Same thing that goes on across America. St. Louis case may just be more acute than others for several reasons that are locally and nationally relevant. As you can see. Minneapolis, which is probably the most progressive Midwestern city, is up in flames right now and this may actually be worse than Ferguson. Chicago and Detroit have had several race riots and probably only a matter of time before they have more.
Do you think we'll see 19th and 20th century style racial violence or worse in major cities again?

I personally don't think it's extremely likely, but I certainly don't rule it out either.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:06 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Do you think we'll see 19th and 20th century style racial violence or worse in major cities again?

I personally don't think it's extremely likely, but I certainly don't rule it out either.
I would not be surprised. I don't think there is a one size fits all solution to the problems we are facing. Hard conversations have to be had to come up with best practices. Shouting people down, looting, and screaming does not help anyone.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:11 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Cleveland and St. Louis.

Chicago's kind of weird. It has racial strife similar to what Detroit deals with, but it hasn't destroyed the city / region.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:24 PM

4,536 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
You're describing every single Rustbelt city in America. St. Louis is NOT the most segregated city on this list, btw (Cleveland, Chicago and Detroit all have a higher segregation index). Just sayin'.
Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit always head the segregated list... Of the Midwestern cities, I find St. Louis having a bit of a Southern flavor more so than others... and, in this case, that's a good thing. I have found that, although there have been and are tensions, southern whites and blacks, post Brown especially, are more willing to live in close(r) proximity than in the more Yankee/northern cities like Cleveland, Chicago, Boston, Detroit ... etc. Hence these latter cities' higher degree of segregation.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:37 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Cleveland and St. Louis.

Chicago's kind of weird. It has racial strife similar to what Detroit deals with, but it hasn't destroyed the city / region.
If you're bringing in the region, then Chicago wins handedly. None of them have totally destroyed regions, but Chicago proper has a lot of blight and hyper segregation on the South and West Sides. This is even worse over in northwestern Indiana, in particular Gary. Chicago also has declining suburbs south of the city in Cook County that are also highly segregated.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:00 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit always head the segregated list... Of the Midwestern cities, I find St. Louis having a bit of a Southern flavor more so than others... and, in this case, that's a good thing. I have found that, although there have been and are tensions, southern whites and blacks, post Brown especially, are more willing to live in close(r) proximity than in the more Yankee/northern cities like Cleveland, Chicago, Boston, Detroit ... etc. Hence these latter cities' higher degree of segregation.
I was talking to my mother about this. How come we don't see race related riots in southern cities like we do in midwestern and western cities? Last time Atlanta has had a race related riot was in the 60s.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:57 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I was talking to my mother about this. How come we don't see race related riots in southern cities like we do in midwestern and western cities? Last time Atlanta has had a race related riot was in the 60s.
It is interesting how often diversity and integration are conflated. Some cities can be segregated and lack integration as well. The same argument can be made for some cities that are conservative but socially integrated whereas other cities that are well known for their liberalism also have high poverty and ethnic groups typically stay/interact with their own kind.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...st-segregated/

Old 05-29-2020, 05:47 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
If you're bringing in the region, then Chicago wins handedly. None of them have totally destroyed regions, but Chicago proper has a lot of blight and hyper segregation on the South and West Sides. This is even worse over in northwestern Indiana, in particular Gary. Chicago also has declining suburbs south of the city in Cook County that are also highly segregated.
Chicago has a lot of blight on the South and West Side, but nothing compared to 40% - 60% of the city in every direction virtually reverting back to nature like it has in Detroit (only Englewood comes close), nor its downtown core completely hollowed out like it had until recently in Detroit.

As far as Northwest Indiana / Gary, I'd say Flint is a comparable analog for Detroit (or even worse thanks to the Water Crisis).

In terms of size and economic relevance, Chicago's region was still growing handily up until the Great Recession (and it's still solidly the top 3 largest in the country), while Detroit's region stagnated with the decline of the city proper since 1970.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:10 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,658,170 times
St. Louis is the natural lighting rod for this poll, because the events in Ferguson cast it into the spotlight. But as we’ve seen over and over and over and over again, there is nothing really unique about the dynamics here than pretty much everywhere else. Police brutality against black Americans is as old as the United States, but I credit St. Louis/Ferguson as being the first city to actually push back and say NO MORE. Without STL/Ferguson creating the movement, tragedies like Tamir Rice, Freddie Gray, Philando Castile, George Floyd and countless other murder victims at the hands of police might only be footnotes in a forgotten history. Not anymore. The United States of America was founded on racist and oppressive principles and no city is immune to this systemic disease. Whether some are less horrid than others in this regard is a game of meaningless semantics, and any argument in favor of one city’s relative “harmony” to another undermines the work needed to actually champion equality in our society. The USA is a racist nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City