Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Midwestern city suffered the most due to racial conflict?
Chicago 23 27.71%
MSP 2 2.41%
Cincinnati 6 7.23%
Indianapolis 0 0%
Kansas City 1 1.20%
Cleveland 6 7.23%
Columbus 0 0%
Milwaukee 9 10.84%
Grand Rapids 0 0%
St Louis 36 43.37%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 04:19 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The Obama presidency was supposed to lead to a "post racial" America. That's hardly been the case. The 'racial grievance industry' is still as strong as ever.
No it wasn't. He was just a democratic president who happened to be black. Post racial US is an oxymoron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 04:27 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
I don't think STL should be leading this poll... I'd much easier say Chicago suffers the most from racial division, even more than Detroit. Mostly because Chicago is far more a case of "tale of two cities" than either of those cities (the White collar presence is far, far greater in Chicago), plus the fact that Chicago also has heavily Hispanic enclaves, that also create racial division. Just look at what's happening right now with Latin Kings beating up black people who enter their neighborhoods. Hispanics/Blacks overall are very divided in Chicago, and Whites/Asians definitely are more the stereotypical "northern city" racism. Chicago is both low key, high key, and historically a very racially divided city, possibly the most divided in the U.S.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:50 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I don't think STL should be leading this poll... I'd much easier say Chicago suffers the most from racial division, even more than Detroit. Mostly because Chicago is far more a case of "tale of two cities" than either of those cities (the White collar presence is far, far greater in Chicago), plus the fact that Chicago also has heavily Hispanic enclaves, that also create racial division. Just look at what's happening right now with Latin Kings beating up black people who enter their neighborhoods. Hispanics/Blacks overall are very divided in Chicago, and Whites/Asians definitely are more the stereotypical "northern city" racism. Chicago is both low key, high key, and historically a very racially divided city, possibly the most divided in the U.S.
Chicago is still segregated--affluent white North side vs. poor black South side! Roosevelt Road is the dividing line, currently hipsters are gentrifying the area to flaunt the racial dividing line out of "irony".

It's having a hard time shedding the "Chiraq" reputation that it earned a few years ago! Also with the population decline of white retirees fleeing to the Sunbelt (and bad-mouthing Illinois governance), it has a hard time recruiting racially-diverse Millennials and older Gen Zers who were mostly raised in the warm Sunbelt and convincing them to relocate to the cold, "windy" city in the North.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:59 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Chicago is still segregated--affluent white North side vs. poor black South side! Roosevelt Road is the dividing line, currently hipsters are gentrifying the area to flaunt the racial dividing line out of "irony".

It's having a hard time shedding the "Chiraq" reputation that it earned a few years ago! Also with the population decline of white retirees fleeing to the Sunbelt (and bad-mouthing Illinois governance), it has a hard time recruiting racially-diverse Millennials and older Gen Zers who were mostly raised in the warm Sunbelt and convincing them to relocate to the cold, "windy" city in the North.
Good thing on putting "windy" in quotes.

Something I think most people do not know is that Chicago's nickname "the Windy City" was bestowed on it not because of its weather — there are some 15-odd US cities, including Boston, windier than it — but because of the bluster of its politicians.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:32 AM

93,269 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

That isn't completely true, as you have areas like Beverly (Woods), Morgan Park, Kenwood, parts of Bronzeville and parts of neighborhoods around Chicago State University that are within the range of middle class.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:32 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
In light of this, and I agree with what you say here, I will admit that I was shocked to turn on the news and find Minneapolis in flames over the same issues last night. Of all the large cities of the Midwest, Minneapolis is the last one I would imagine to erupt in that fashion after an incident of clear police brutality.

But what I also heard on the news suggests to me that this had been a sore festering under Minneapolis' skin for some time now.
THe MSP metro area has historically been very quiet, in terms of crime and poverty. It was rare to hear of any truly serious problems in these cities, as MSP has long been considered on of the best places to live in the US. I think it will surmount its present difficulties, but its sqeaky-clean reputation is no longer entirely true...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City