Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Midwestern city suffered the most due to racial conflict?
Chicago 23 27.71%
MSP 2 2.41%
Cincinnati 6 7.23%
Indianapolis 0 0%
Kansas City 1 1.20%
Cleveland 6 7.23%
Columbus 0 0%
Milwaukee 9 10.84%
Grand Rapids 0 0%
St Louis 36 43.37%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 07:23 PM

4,313 posts, read 2,505,349 times

Advertisements

I want to leave Detroit out because it seems like the obvious answer. What Midwestern city suffered the next most because of racial conflict?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 07:33 PM

44 posts, read 44,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I want to leave Detroit out because it seems like the obvious answer. What Midwestern city suffered the next most because of racial conflict?
Are we talking just the city proper? Or surrounding cities in the larger Metro Areas?

Gary, East St Louis, Flint, and Benton Harbor have all suffered far worse (percentage wise) than Detroit. Arguably Detroit is starting to stabilize, and still is a functioning city. Most of the other smaller cities I listed are still dying.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:13 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,138,941 times
I've heard quite a few negative things surrounding Milwaukees treatment of African Americans.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:06 PM

4,313 posts, read 2,505,349 times
A lot of people are picking St Louis, but interestingly St Louis (proper) was pretty much spared the bloody race riots that afflicted many other major US cities in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:31 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,190,365 times
I would say Chicago and St. Louis are neck and neck, both have horrible racial histories that plague the cities until this day. I would say that Detroit would be the obvious answer. Cleveland also has been horribly influenced by racial segregation and tensions. Most large urban cities in the country have felt the scars of racial conflict, especially the ones with large African American populations. I would say that the Rust Belt region of the Midwest carries it the worst. The East Coast is also pretty bad, but the relative economic success and rebound of the East Coast has largely spared it of the level of White Flight that has been seen in the Midwest. I wonder if the Midwest had continued being a major hub of immigration if the racial tensions in the region would have been lessened.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:30 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,110,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I wonder if the Midwest had continued being a major hub of immigration if the racial tensions in the region would have been lessened.
I don't think so. The peak of immigration to these areas also follows the peak of the creation for the jobs in these areas that caused the migration. Once these job opportunities leveled off so did the high migration numbers. Those economic opportunities declined as those jobs shifted to places with cheaper labor pools.

I think the question you might be trying to ask is would these cities have become the model of white flight that they did? The shift of wealth and power from the core cities to the suburbs may be more evident in these cities than anywhere else in the country. My hunch is that the affects of decline on these cities would have been far lessened had racial tensions improved. Which I suppose in theory would have then made them more attractive for investment, and potentially have created new opportunities to entice new immigration. Full circle lol.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:00 AM

21,801 posts, read 12,968,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I don't think so. The peak of immigration to these areas also follows the peak of the creation for the jobs in these areas that caused the migration. Once these job opportunities leveled off so did the high migration numbers. Those economic opportunities declined as those jobs shifted to places with cheaper labor pools.

I think the question you might be trying to ask is would these cities have become the model of white flight that they did? The shift of wealth and power from the core cities to the suburbs may be more evident in these cities than anywhere else in the country. My hunch is that the affects of decline on these cities would have been far lessened had racial tensions improved. Which I suppose in theory would have then made them more attractive for investment, and potentially have created new opportunities to entice new immigration. Full circle lol.
No this isn’t really true.

Immigration in NYC and Boston (those are the two main immigration center in the northeast percentage wise) began in earnest around 1980, maybe earlier in NYC. The cities were still very much in a decline, the immigrants coming in and stabilizing neighborhoods eventually controlled population loss and attracted more private investment and money. They were CENTRAL to the rebirth of cities, by no means did they ride the coattails of urban success. They opened new businesses in former abandoned storefront and moved into neighborhoods that had been largely abandoned before they became unsalvageable. Immigration in Boston and NYC reaches peak level in the 1990s and until about 2015 they stayed there.

In DC immigrants came after revitalization but it’s not really the northeast. Philly and Bmore still don’t have a ton of immigrants.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:07 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,800,315 times
I think NYC has always had a constant flow of immigration, as have many other major cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I've heard quite a few negative things surrounding Milwaukees treatment of African Americans.
Yes, but the effects haven't been nearly as devastating for Milwaukee as much as the others. It's never suffered blight and abandonment on the level of St. Louis or Detroit. While it's certainly changed, Milwaukee is largely intact, especially for a rustbelt city.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:08 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,110,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No this isn’t really true.

Immigration in NYC and Boston (those are the two main immigration center in the northeast percentage wise) began in earnest around 1980, maybe earlier in NYC. The cities were still very much in a decline, the immigrants coming in and stabilizing neighborhoods eventually controlled population loss and attracted more private investment and money. They were CENTRAL to the rebirth of cities, by no means did they ride the coattails of urban success. They opened new businesses in former abandoned storefront and moved into neighborhoods that had been largely abandoned before they became unsalvageable. Immigration in Boston and NYC reaches peak level in the 1990s and until about 2015 they stayed there.

In DC immigrants came after revitalization but it’s not really the northeast. Philly and Bmore still don’t have a ton of immigrants.
This thread isn't about cities on the north eastern corridor. It's specifically about Midwestern cities, where immigration patterns were much different than NE cities during this time frame(post industrial migration), to which my comments apply.

Though more specifically the immigration I'm referring to was the pattern of African Americans from the poor south that happened during the first half of the 20th century. Racial tensions were terrible, but economic opportunities were still promising enough to entice movement. When the economic opportunities slowed, so did the migration.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:17 PM

527 posts, read 321,697 times
Is there one city that would jump out? Seems like more had their share of issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City