Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer to live in?
Bakersfield 7 19.44%
Stockton 7 19.44%
Fresno 22 61.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 08:26 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,191,746 times

Advertisements

Which has better higher educational opportunities, safer, better job opportunities, quality of life, cost of living: Fresno, Bakersfield or Stockton? Which would you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 11:13 AM

422 posts, read 396,174 times
Fresno

Old 06-08-2020, 12:54 AM

2,894 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Weather and air quality: Stockton (barely)
Stockton is the most prone to natural disasters(flooding), which kinda negates its only win.

Pretty much Everything else - Fresno. Fresno is just a cleaned up/hipsterfied Bakersfield. Theres not a giant difference between the two, but it's noticable if you pay attention.
Only real advantage Bakersfield has is that its downtown is slightly better than Fresno's, but I don't see Bakersfield keeping that advantage for much longer.
There's too much momentum going downtown Fresnos way for that to last. Hsr being a big reason(Fresnos hsr line is being built near downtown Fresno, while Bakersfield's line is being built in the outskirts). Fresno is also getting first dibs at uc merced medical grads because of a medical school. Expect to see a surge in college grads going to Fresno in the near future.

Crime: Stockton is the worst, and it's not close.
Bakersfield and Fresno are tied. it just depends on the year(some ppl will tell you otherwise, but don't listen to them). Both cities have a bit of property crime, but violent crime is usually on the low end.

Day trips: all three are great for day trips. It comes down to personal preference.

Housing: Bakersfield is the cheapest, but there's not a giant difference between the three cities. Personally, I find fresno's housing the most charming of the three, so that gives it the edge to me.
Stockton has the worst housing and is the most expensive, lol. Bay area commuters are to blame for that.

Suburbs: Fresno, and it's not close. Clovis is exploding in population and amenities. Madera suburbs are about to explode.

Bakersfield does have some nice foothill communities and a decent suburb, but it's a step back behind what Fresno has. Maybe Bakersfield will catch up, who knows, but Fresno easily wins this category today.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 06-08-2020 at 01:41 AM..

Old 06-08-2020, 01:28 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Fresno

Old 06-08-2020, 02:36 AM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
I have not been to Bakersfield, but I thought Stockton had some pretty areas when I went there, much moreso than Fresno.

https://goo.gl/maps/4uUeFyKFyFzUcBif8
https://goo.gl/maps/CVXUD7fzmuAiSoMEA

Old 06-08-2020, 02:25 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,191,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Weather and air quality: Stockton (barely)
Stockton is the most prone to natural disasters(flooding), which kinda negates its only win.

Pretty much Everything else - Fresno. Fresno is just a cleaned up/hipsterfied Bakersfield. Theres not a giant difference between the two, but it's noticable if you pay attention.
Only real advantage Bakersfield has is that its downtown is slightly better than Fresno's, but I don't see Bakersfield keeping that advantage for much longer.
There's too much momentum going downtown Fresnos way for that to last. Hsr being a big reason(Fresnos hsr line is being built near downtown Fresno, while Bakersfield's line is being built in the outskirts). Fresno is also getting first dibs at uc merced medical grads because of a medical school. Expect to see a surge in college grads going to Fresno in the near future.

Crime: Stockton is the worst, and it's not close.
Bakersfield and Fresno are tied. it just depends on the year(some ppl will tell you otherwise, but don't listen to them). Both cities have a bit of property crime, but violent crime is usually on the low end.

Day trips: all three are great for day trips. It comes down to personal preference.

Housing: Bakersfield is the cheapest, but there's not a giant difference between the three cities. Personally, I find fresno's housing the most charming of the three, so that gives it the edge to me.
Stockton has the worst housing and is the most expensive, lol. Bay area commuters are to blame for that.

Suburbs: Fresno, and it's not close. Clovis is exploding in population and amenities. Madera suburbs are about to explode.

Bakersfield does have some nice foothill communities and a decent suburb, but it's a step back behind what Fresno has. Maybe Bakersfield will catch up, who knows, but Fresno easily wins this category today.
Thanks for the detailed message about these cities. I've been to Bakersfield but not the other 2 and was curious how they all stacked up against each other. From what you've posted looks like Fresno probably has a brighter future. I had read stuff online about crime being high in Stockton. Bakersfield seems the most stable.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:09 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
I would say Fresno has the least-negative reputation of the 3. dontbelievehim's post was a pretty good summary.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:22 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Fresno.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:27 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Fresno
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City