Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who wins the attle of the panhandle?
Amarillo 9 12.68%
Pensacola 62 87.32%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 01:29 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,194,795 times

Advertisements

I thought an odd comparison would be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 01:38 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I thought an odd comparison would be interesting.
It's not as odd as you think IMO.

If you were comparing it to most other cities, Pensacola leaves a lot to be desired too aside from the beach / water.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:17 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It's not as odd as you think IMO.

If you were comparing it to most other cities, Pensacola leaves a lot to be desired too aside from the beach / water.
This is sort of what I am thinking, too. I would like to see someone elaborate exactly why Amarillo is so bad, or so much worse than Pensacola, besides not being by the coast. I don't know how many people here have been to either one (I've lived in Florida for 11 years, and have never actually spent any time in Pensacola yet), but I'd guess more have been to or are familiar with Pensacola or surrounding cities, whereas I'm guessing most people have very little reason to have been to or know anything about Amarillo, really.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:23 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,194,795 times
I've been through both cities but haven't spent a lot of time in either city. I must say the few people I've encountered in Amarillo were very nice.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:36 AM

841 posts, read 825,345 times
My daughter and son-in-law live in Pensacola. As stated by so many others, the beaches are stunning, and the downtown/older historic areas are nice. I don't find the rest of it to be anything remarkable, though. In fact, much of it looks pretty seedy and run down. I wouldn't move there without carefully checking out where I could afford to live.

Nevertheless, I would almost certainly choose it over Amarillo. I could probably tolerate Amarillo by being so close to places in the Southwest and Rocky Mountains that I love. And the Palo Duro Canyon does look cool. Otherwise, I don't think I would fine a city on the drab, semi-arid high plains very appealing.

Old 08-17-2020, 05:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Pensacola isn't too much yo write home about, it probably shouldn't win this poll in a slam dunk but people love beaches. I think I'd rather die than live in any of these places. I grew up close enough to the redneck riviera to not want to live there.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:31 PM

503 posts, read 799,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Pensacola is far from a utopia, but what redeeming qualities does Amarillo have?

At least Pensacola is close to the water.
Amarillo has Palo Duro Canyon State park nearby. It’s actually pretty amazing. Amarillo should really promote the fact that it’s near amazing scenery more often.
https://palodurocanyon.com/

Last edited by Gfitz1010; 08-17-2020 at 11:40 PM..

Old 08-18-2020, 01:14 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Amarillo is a long ways from the desert in Texas actually.I chose Pensacola because Amarillo is way too cold for me.
Amarillo is located on the Great Plains, and in a way the Great Plains is a desert. The definition of the word "desert" is a region that is arid and has sparse and widely spaced vegetation or none at all. It would be easy for a person to get lost in the Great Plains when you consider the fact the Great Plains has so few trees and it's flat as a pancake and every direction looks the same, leaving the lost individual with no clue the nearest way to civilization. So, yeah, I think the Great Plains could be considered a desert.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:03 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Never been to Pensacola, but I once did a road trip from Ohio to New Orleans to New Mexico, and Amarillo was the ugliest city along that whole route.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:29 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Pensacola is my nearest "big city", so I go there often. I'm glad to have its amenities nearby, but it's not a place I would care to live. It doesn't have the same character or vibe as its Gulf Coast sister city Mobile, AL.

Pensacola - like much of Florida - has a large transient population which is exacerbated even more so by the large military presence. This inhibits the city's ability to have a well-rooted or firmly established feel.

Pensacola does have amazing beaches though.

As for Amarillo, I've only driven through it once on I-40. The thing I remember most about it is the giant cross on the side of the interstate. Amarillo by Morning is one of my favorite country songs. I'm sure Amarillo is fine for what it is - a cow town on the Great Plains - but it's a completely different animal from a coastal warm weather military town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City