Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather visit mos
Ottawa 13 13.83%
Washington DC 35 37.23%
Mexico City 50 53.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 01:48 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times

Advertisements

This is tough.

As far ranking the cities, Mexico City runs away with it. Chuck full of so much energy, history, culture, art, etc.

Ranking as a capital cities, DC is more formal, clean cut, what you might expect from a capital city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 02:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
The city I would like to visit more would be Mexico City.

All 3 function as capital cities, but Mexico City offers much more for a visitor.

Now if you asked which one I'd prefer to live in, I'd choose Ottawa. It's just more peaceful.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:30 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,199,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The city I would like to visit more would be Mexico City.

All 3 function as capital cities, but Mexico City offers much more for a visitor.

Now if you asked which one I'd prefer to live in, I'd choose Ottawa. It's just more peaceful.
I've heard that said before about Ottawa. I'd love to be able to visit all 3 of these cities and compare them, in a good way of course.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Using the criteria I've developed for this sort of thing:
1. Urban Form/Neighborhoods: Mexico City, easily
2. Arts/Culture: Mexico City and Washington DC are roughly tied for high culture, IMO, both are Top 10 in the world
3. Attractions/Entertainment: Mexico City, DC does well, but not quite there.
4. Safety/Comfort: Ottawa might feel the safest on a uniform basis. I don't feel too bad in any, though.
5. Traffic/Transit: 3 different answers. Mexico City easily the most expansive transit system, DC the best combination of good transit and not being overly congested in parts, and Ottawa the least trafficky.
6. Location/Day Trips: Washington DC, because NYC is 2 hrs. away, etc. Mexico City is right there behind though, and would be ahead were I not factoring in NYC and the Acela corridor for the traveler.
7. Parks/Scenery: Mexico City, easily
8. Food/Drink: Mexico City, by an absolute landslide.
9. Overall Preference: Mexico City can be an imposing place to visit, particularly to someone who hasn't traveled abroad much. And, Ottawa isn't bad, and DC might be a more important global city and on a certain level due to it's bureaucratic layout, more unique. That said, neither of them offers near as dynamic an experience to the visitor as Mexico City does IMO. There's big city attractions and vibrancy... and then there's Mexico City attractions and vibrancy.

Thanks for sharing your criteria. Definitely makes it easier and clearer for those of us that may not be familiar with either of these cities so again thanks.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It appears you mean the cities, not the buildings. The word "Capitol", with an "o", specifically means a governmental building.

I will change the thread title to "Capital" because I have the power to do so.

To answer your question, since I've been to DC a number of times, and hope to do so again (It's only a four-hour drive) I would next like to visit Ottawa. I've flown in and out of it but did not have enough time to explore the city.
Ok, thanks, lol!

Old 06-08-2020, 02:53 PM

1,052 posts, read 798,021 times
Definitely Mexico City! I spent 2 days there a long time ago and have always wanted to go back. It's one of the largest cities in the world with tremendous history that DC and Ottawa can't match.

I've been to DC on the grade school history tour and go there a few times a year on business. Little interest in spending my tourist time there.

No desire to visit Ottawa. Seems nice enough but not a tourist draw.

Last edited by sprez33; 06-08-2020 at 03:22 PM..

Old 06-08-2020, 03:20 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Mexico City....went there for the first time for Dia de los Muertos (Halloween and beyond) last year.....stayed in Polanco which is quite a fashionable and posh section of the city. Good restaurants and top notch shopping will almost have you thinking you are still in the States. Seemed to be quite a bit of new, low - midrise condos under construction. Nearby Chapultepec is an amazing urban park....spent a little time in Roma and Condesa (some very cool boutique hotels there). Surprised it took me so long to visit.

not listed as a North America option was Havana, though I've been there a dozen times (was a huge cigar aficionado at one point) and the city has gone downhill from the 90's when I first visited (let alone vs its glory days pre-Castro).

Last edited by elchevere; 06-08-2020 at 03:30 PM..

Old 06-08-2020, 03:40 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Mexico City, by far. I've been to D.C. more times than I can count, and Ottawa is on the list with a future trip to Montreal.

I've been to Mexico over 20 times and already love the culture, D.F. is at the top of my list for future travel.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:09 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,718 times
Just to visit? CDMX!! Easily.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:14 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Mexico City looks mighty intriguing. Lots of museums there on my bucket list and would love to visit sometime and at this point, I'd pick it over any US/Canada city for a visit.

Been to both DC about three times. I appreciate DC and the obligatory trip as a US Citizen on my first visit was met with fulfillment, emotion, pride, and good memories. It's a lot to take in, but it's somewhere I have on the back burner for a good while before I consider visiting again. I do love that DC feels a lot like a city inside of a big park. it's a remarkably very green city with a lot of attractive parkland.

Ottawa, like much of Canada is a low key capital. It's the one I'm most familiar with since its just a three hour drive away. National capitals are usually always good destinations for museums and Ottawa is no exception as there are some interesting ones I've been to. It's a very pretty city built on a high bluff above a big river, Gatineau Park across the river is very scenic. Ottawa has enough to do to stay a couple nights and full day. Of course nearby Montreal is a lot more fun.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-08-2020 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City