Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather visit mos
Ottawa 13 13.83%
Washington DC 35 37.23%
Mexico City 50 53.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 04:57 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It appears you mean the cities, not the buildings. The word "Capitol", with an "o", specifically means a governmental building.

I will change the thread title to "Capital" because I have the power to do so.

To answer your question, since I've been to DC a number of times, and hope to do so again (It's only a four-hour drive) I would next like to visit Ottawa. I've flown in and out of it but did not have enough time to explore the city.
I wasn’t expecting capitol punishment.

I spent a ton of time in Ottawa during the telecom boom years. I’ve been in DC on business even more. I’ve never set foot in Mexico so I’m not able to comment about Mexico City.

As a tourist, DC beats Ottawa easily as long as it’s not in the middle of the summer with the awful heat & humidity. From Boston, it’s so easy to get to Europe that Mexico City is off my radar screen. Normally, there is only one nonstop flight and it’s a red eye from Mexico City to Boston. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 05:56 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxicology View Post
Yes.
This poster makes lots of dubious statements about Canadian cities, but DC city proper is most definitely not "mostly ghetto".

Old 01-03-2021, 07:54 AM

2,816 posts, read 2,282,316 times
I would go with Mexico City. It is like London or Paris. The largest city and the economic, cultural, and political heart of the nation. DC and Ottawa are basically government towns. Obviously that's not to say they only have government things. But it's just a different feel. They are far smaller and don't have the same level of urban amenities.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:40 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,891,771 times
I've been to DC and I Liked it...As a Tourist it was A-1, tho some people and residents who live there say it's Sterile and boring. But as a Visitor it's a nice City, Between these I would go with Mexico City since I Already been to DC....Ottawa seems boring to me I've been to Ontario (niagara falls, Windsor) And If I go again it's straight to toronto....Besides maybe the Canadian Parliament building, I think I would lose interest fast. I also watch Youtube Videos and Vlogs on various cities (something I do in my spare time : ) including these 3 cities and No it's not the real thing but it gives you a general sense of the place and from youtube videos Ottawa didn't excite me...but if given a chance I'd be willing to spend a Day trip in Ottawa, I'm quite sure it would have some things that would surprise me and some things I'd didn't expect

Mexico City seems like a Intense City that would Overwhelm me...I Like it : ) I like Overwhelmingly Urban Cities so I would Choose Mexico City out of this bunch

Old 01-03-2021, 11:42 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Never been to Ottawa and honestly as of right now I don’t have any desire to...

Been to DC many times and I’m a huge fan of the city. I feel lucky to have it relatively close by to where I am so that I can go there easily and cheaply. The (free!) museums alone are worth many visits.

However, CDMX should be the obvious answer here. I just spent 2 weeks there last year for the first time and was incredibly blown away. The first time in my life I was dreading going back home after such a long stay. I’m from New York, and believe me when I say that that city actually compares to NYC (despite being very different) in many ways. Officially it’s the biggest city on the continent... even bigger than NY. I feel like I really need to go back, there’s so much more that I want to see and do. And don’t even get me started on the food...

Old 01-04-2021, 06:46 AM

914 posts, read 560,866 times
Mexico City is the center of a centuries-old civilization (it was that way before Europeans arrived, just to be be clear; and still larger and more consequential than any city in the USA or Canada into the 19th century). Way more going on than DC/Ottawa.

Old 01-05-2021, 01:23 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,263 times
Went to university in Ottawa and been back several times. Ottawa is a truly beautiful city and considering it's pop of only 1.5 million it's fairly active and has a lot of great inner city neighbourhoods and some truly striking architecture. Of course it does well in the museums and galleries dept and festivals due to government largess. It offers a great quality of life and very low crime rate that the others certainly don't enjoy.

Washington has some great architecture and world renowned museums but is rather bland for a city it's size.

Mexico City is just on a whole other level. I love MC and it is so under rated. It's urbanity, history, character, and vitality simply blows the other 2 out of the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City